1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Which class is the "solo class" of this game?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by I Push Buttons, Feb 2, 2014.

1. I Push Buttons

I Push Buttons New Cupcake

Is it the engineer? The stalker (I saw the life steal mechanic in the video, but idk...)...?

I haven't gotten into the beta so I don't know much about any of the classes outside of the core stuff shown in the DevSpeak videos... But I am looking to play this game and my play style in MMOs has always been and will continue to be playing as a class that can Tank and has an increased ability to solo content over other classes... I plan on raiding and playing pretty hardcore (I have no life and I'm crippled, so I can invest pretty much infinite time in MMOs when I am not working or in physical therapy)... So I want to tank raids, and outside of that solo as much of the content in the game as possible, as high as possible (level wise), and as often and easily as possible... Which class fits that bill?

Thank you very much :)
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

There isn't enough information currently available to answer you. If you look at intended skill lists, it would suggest Engineer, but considering how far reaching this last patch was in terms of changes, its really rather up in the air. You will need to wait until much closer to launch for any kind of decent recommendation.
    RavenWind likes this.
  3. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

Like was said above, not enough information to go on. From previous MMO experiences I'd guess the hardest classes would be the esper and spellslinger, but that's all I could really guess on.
  4. I Push Buttons

I am not looking to avoid the "hard" classes per se... But I would rather play as the class that can do better in a similar situation (speaking primarily to soloing content)... You know, like an example from WoW would be like a Rogue can solo some bosses, but a Retribution Paladin or Blood DK could solo much more with much less effort... That type of "ease" more so than simply being an easy class to play.
  5. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

I get what you mean, and right now its impossible to say. Too many things are in too great a flux.
  6. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

I would assume engineer. Tank class with a pet seems very solo-centric.
  7. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Presumably all of them, really. Carbine wants to serve the 60% (or so they claim) of Solo players, and having the one "Solo" class would be a bad move. Probably, all of them are viable with a little skill and planning.
  8. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

Its hard to say at this point, but as Ruff pointed out, with the AMPS (hybrid) and other ways to alter your style the goal seems to be to have any class be a "solo" style class. Note, I said goal. By default, Heavy armor classes have the survivability. Cloth wearers are , well....squishy. That puts Warrior and Engi at top of the list.
  9. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Eng would be my guess for overall best solo due to pets. Of course the spellslinger might be capable of quad kite.
  10. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

between engi warrior and stalker seeing as how you said you want a tank i would say engi. engi seems to have more "tricks" compared to the others by virtue of having pets to bounce aggro off of and whatnot.
  11. Lookeba

Lookeba Cupcake

I'm really wanting to play the Warrior but I do a lot of soloing and hopefully they will give all classes some life steal and survival mechanics to make them all viable. I like the Engineer but I'd just rather be up close and personal especially while soloing.
  12. deathtotherepublic

deathtotherepublic Cupcake

from everything i have seen the Medic is a beast. especially against a stalker not in stealth.
  13. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

Was going to post exactly this. And the usual stat I quote is 65% of players primarily solo (though we are trying to sprinkle enough social Path content around that maybe you adventure near folks, see a tough mob, join up, make a friend, etc.)
    Ianpact, Arawulf, Cogburn and 3 others like this.
  14. Lookeba

Lookeba Cupcake

One thing I would definitely like to see (if it's not already in the game) is an option on a player's portrait to immediately join their group if they've left it open or to join the public group if there are a couple of people by you already grouped up.

This is how Rift does it and it helps immensely when doing quick battles out in the open or when events begin.
  15. eharper256

eharper256 Cupcake-About-Town

This statistic actually depresses me if it is true. If you want to solo, crack open a can of mods and play Skyrim/Grimrock/Wizardry/<Insert Single Player RP Poison of Choice>, not an MMO.
    Blue Tunic Man likes this.
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

The op didn't say he was a solo player, he just asked which tank class can best solo elite/boss type mobs.
    I Push Buttons likes this.
  17. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Is there any chance we could hear more about this stat? Like where dose it come from or maybe how it relates to other stats? Something like are solo player more likely to craft or less likely?
  18. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Developers usually say something like "All classes can solo" or something like that. However, some classes always seem to have an easier time of it than others.

I agree that Spellslinger and Esper look like they would be the hardest to solo with due to their light armor and squishy nature. Between the two I think the spellslinger would be the hardest. The Esper does eventually get access to a variety of pets that can be cast on a duration. A spellslinger, against difficult groups, might have to adopt hitting and running.

Stalkers, the reliable stealth class, would probably have an easier to soloing too. They have a variety of tools and, most important, can use their stealth to bypass certain encounters without fighting.

Warriors would probably also be easy to solo with. Though they may lack the ability to call pets, they still have strong armor and powerful attacks. In most games the main melee class usually has a pretty safe time soloing as they have everything they need.

Like some others, I think Engineers could have the easiest time soloing. The ability to tank or always have a pet around to tank for them is very useful.
  19. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

The thing is, everyone plays differently, and therefore everyone will have a different opinion of what will be considered "hard" tasks to accomplish.
    For example, I wouldn't expect that Slingers will be very difficult for me to solo with because they appeal to my style of play, even though people here are expecting them to be one of the more difficult. For me, their extreme mobility and self healing will far outweigh their lack of armor.
    On the other hand, Warrior, which people here seem to expect to be easy to solo with, is not my playstyle and therefore I expect I'd have a difficult time playing a solo Warrior.
    Basically, what's good for the goose may not be good for the gander. There may be trends, but there is no hard and fast answer to this question, because no one can truly answer this question but you.
    Kataryna likes this.
  20. I Push Buttons

This... I plan on doing as much group content as possible, but one of the primary things I love doing in MMOs outside of that is soloing old content for rares, mounts, pets, etc... I am not asking for which class works best in isolation from everyone.
    Draxus likes this.