1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Which Class Should I Play? (Description in Thread)

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Esauya, Jul 26, 2013.

?

Which Class?

1. Warrior

8.9%
  2. Stalker

37.5%
  3. GunSlinger

10.7%
  4. Esper

5.4%
  5. Speculated Ranged?

7.1%
  6. Speculated Melee?

10.7%
  7. You're Boned

19.6%
  1. Esauya

Esauya Cupcake

Hello Community,

For a long time I have struggled with my "gaming identity." For you see I started playing WoW during beta and wanted to roll a hunter, however, I immediately noticed there were 10 million hunters around me. I knew that the class would be overpopulated, and I would be in a surplus, so I rolled a warrior instead. (I am a bit of a gaming hipster in regards to playing over-populated classes). I devoted all of my time to him for the years of the game that I played, and followed in his path with other games. Always going heavy armor, melee dps. I have been wanting to change this recently.

Here is what I like:

Agility based characters that hit hard and fast, however, I dislike stealth classes. I more so enjoy classes like Monks/Mauraders/Gladiators. Pretty much warriors who use leather armor. Now not all games offer this, so I have a dilemma because of it. Oh and I despise magic, I try my best to not play characters who use it. I don't know why, I just don't like doing it. Minus my Feral Druid, and I am more lenient with things like Enhancement Shamans.

I have been looking at the classes, and what people are speculating with the additional 2. It is my belief that neither of the "2 to come" classes will fulfill what I want. Believing one to be ranged, and the other to be a melee that will use a lot of magic.

So I am thinking either Warrior or Stalker most likely. Now with the warrior I have to use a big old 2h and Heavy Armor....repeating the class I am trying to stray away from. But with the Stalker I am wondering if because of the X amount of skills you can buy, and the X amount of skills you can use on your skill bar, PLUS all skills are suppose to be good from level 1 to max. That I might be able to build a "Bruiser Stalker." Staying away from any skills that have stealth, and just taking hard hitting moves that are more based on positioning rather than "requires stealth."

The negative side to what I am thinking is that I believe the Stalker class may be heavily reliant on stealth like any "rogue" typed class. That I will be hurting myself by trying to play the class the way I want. I will lack the escape, and surprise mechanics offered; at that point I might of well as rolled a Warrior.

Community Thoughts?
  2. Adaleis

Adaleis New Cupcake

the unnamed melee class as i think its meant to be more "tech savvy" than "magic".... unless you really need to be crushing or stabbing your enemies, then i would say you want the stalker tank =)
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Stalkers can be tank to, so mayby they don't rely that much on stealth ;)
    Just try make it a combi of tank/dps and you got your bruiser :D

OR wait till the last 2 :p
  4. HoseMan

HoseMan New Cupcake

I think the stalker tank is your class too.I dont know how much damage you will be able to make on tank but I'm sure a tank will not use too much stealth.

That or the other mele class
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well you can make your stalker more ''hybird'' by not only stacking Tank stats but replace some of those for DPS stats.
    This way you get the more ''bruiser'' feeling, tanky (but not as a real tank) while still got some dmg (while not as high as a real dps).

It's all about how you costumise your character really :D

Is it viable for raiding or other content? Well it should be for solo content :p group content....will be hard, so he will have a problem sooner or later ;)
  6. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

I feel I know very little about the classes and their alternative specs at present but thought it might be worth mentioning that using tank as dps might cause aggro issues?
  7. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

"Agility based characters that hit hard and fast, however, I dislike stealth classes."
    I haven't played a tank stalker but I don't see how they would be incorporating stealth in their tanking.
    If they somehow do have stealth, then go for warrior.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well I thought he was kinda PvP oriented, so then it's no problem :D

But as I said:
  9. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, of course it's dependent on the content you play :). If it's solo play a tank tuned for dps might be a good deal of fun!
    LoweGearShift likes this.
  10. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

Sounds like you and I are brothers in arms, my friend. I LOVE agility-based classes but hate the rogue archetype, so I rejoiced when I saw that the Stalker could tank. I dunno if you are a fan of tanking in general but I for one welcome you to the family of Stalkers-What-Won't-Be-DPS-Because-We-Dislike-Stealthing-But-Love-Agility-Slash-"Fast"-And-Quick-Melee-Classes. SWWBDBQDSBLAS for short.
  11. Esauya

Esauya Cupcake

Thanks much for all the input.

I have always avoided tanking in my MMO's but have always filled in the spot when needed. I never understood people's problems with aggro hold and never had the issue. The biggest problem I always faced with tanking in MMOs is that they are always just that, tanks; that can't solo effectively. I think Wildstar is going to be one of the few MMO's that put that to rest. Giving tanks the ability to be able to solo through the game.

I do love instant ques too, and no one does it better than tanks.

I believe tanking stalkers are going to be like TBC Druids in WoW. Relying on dodge for pure damage mitigation, and having "oh <REDACTED>" buttons for when dodging isn't an option. Much like Warriors from TERA. Where you can completely let your healer focus on group healing and more patch healing on you. However, you have to be a very skilled and aware tanker with little mistakes to make it work. Where as the heavy armor tankers are always about mitigation and are a bit more forgiving. Yes, in the long run plate tankers are the safer bet and handle most content easier, but the truly skilled "dodge" tankers allow for some interesting group composition. I also think that hardest thing about a Stalker tank will be positioning. Where a warrior will see a big channeled spell by a boss and have to rely more on timing a mitigation skill, a stalker will have to roll dodge, but then quickly re-position so that the boss will not be constantly moving and cleaving your dps and making everyone else constantly re-position and losing net worth of dps as well as making healers have to move and lose cast times. I think that Warriors will rely more on gathering mass enemies in groups and taking the brunt and blocking while Stalkers will rely more on "ccing" the enemies while leading focus targets away from aoes to disrupt their cc's.

I do believe I will make a Stalker and focus more on the "Tech" stat whilst taking the tanky mitigation skills with a few high burst/cleave abilities that have high threat. Only time will tell as more information is released!

I'm also speculating that they will have gear drops that are different for each spec of every class. So yes, leather will drop for Stalkers, but one will have more agility on it, while another piece will have more tech power. Much like they did in WoW; as well as having "teir set gear" that they made the same, but slightly different colors with different stats for each person.
  12. The Big Q

The Big Q Cupcake

I mean it's entirely possible that you will be able to go pure DPS on the stalker and just not used stealth. We have heard that each class has somewhere around 50 abilities in total. Let' say half are for each "spec". That means you have 25 dps oriented abilities from which to choose. There is a good chance that at least 8 of them don't involve stealth. I'd wager that roughly half of them do and half of them don't. That still leaves you with 12 abilities from which you can fill your LAS. Plus any "tanking" abilities you feel like using, just to flesh out your move set, for the purpose of say CC or some mitigation when <REDACTED> hits the fan.

If those figures are in any way accurate I'd say you can go pure DPS, if that's what you want, without ever needing to use stealth. You'll probably just have less burst damage and more in the form of bleeds and channeled abilities. Some of it might even end up being AoE style attacks. This might even give you an advantage in PvP as most people will be expecting stalkers to stealth. When they you running straight at them they're either going to think you're a bad player or that there is something else going on. Either one throws the other guy off his game and gives you an advantage.
  13. Esauya

Esauya Cupcake

Just gotta wait until information is released about skills, and it gets closer to release.

I agree that there is a possibility of having enough skills that do not require stealth to use. Most rogue classes in dungeons have what... 2 big moves that require stealth so they have like 2 skills to get them in and out of stealth during combat to re-use those abilities. Or they even have skills that they activate to allow "stealth required" to be ignored and used in broad daylight.

It is more of a question of pvp in that respect. Most rogue classes lack any initiation because they are suppose to stealth to priority targets.

I would LOVE to be able to play a Stalker like a Feral Druid and have a priority rotation based on bleeding effects with procs. I find that kind of micromanagement to be so much more fun and difficult.
    LoweGearShift likes this.
  14. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Roll a dice xD
  15. The Big Q

The Big Q Cupcake

Well I don't have an answer for sure, but gut feeling tells me you are in luck. Just based off how the stalker looks I'd guess there are some bleed effects. As for initiation sprinting can help with that. Plus last I heard stealth has a timer on it. So it's likely that carbine has taken that into consideration and given stalkers other options to initiate.
  16. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

I would love an unarmed martial artist class.
  17. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

Wait for last melee, I'm guessing it will be a sword/shield based class.
  18. Kiath

Kiath New Cupcake

What stalker are you talkin' about !? GUNSLINGER EVER XD
  19. GloryHogXL

GloryHogXL Cupcake

Go ahead and roll a warrior, bro. Help me smash these ranged/stealth/magic types. K
  20. Lyng

Lyng New Cupcake

I personally believe the speculated melee will fit your wishes, especially since it is not stealth.