1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

who hates always having to type..........

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Anthony, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Isarii

Isarii Cupcake

As everyone has pointed out, third-party VOIP programs will always be better than in-game offerings, but no one's really gone into the detail of why exactly.

While the drawbacks of poorly implemented in-game voice chat are obvious, it's also clear that it's entirely possible for a game to do a superb job of implementing their in-game voice chat - so these reasons aren't really that great for making an argument against any game wasting resources on it ever.

However, there are several important reasons that third-party voice chat will always be better than in-game chat.
    • If your game crashes, or you disconnect, third-party software will allow you to let your team mates know.
    • For multi-game guilds, third-party chat will allow the guild to communicate easily with all of their members over multiple platforms.
    • Players logged into a third-party chat program can be reached even if they are not logged in game. Even if they are just sitting in an AFK chat channel, the server administrators will be able to contact them.
    So while it's true that it does 'just work better', there are also plenty of reasons that it will always work better - these are the true reasons that trying to implement in-game voice chat is really just a waste of time.
    Xorkrik, Sonntam, Xandita and 3 others like this.
  2. PackOfHighly

PackOfHighly New Cupcake

I think its more than okay if the game doesn't supply voice chat. Gamers who have played multiplayer games are used to using 3rd party applications. By default, players will (correctly most of the time) assume that the in-game option is inferior to the 3rd party one. 3rd party options offer a greater level of control and customization, as well as greater flexibility. I'd much rather Carbine be able to focus whatever resources they would devote to such a feature on making the game even more fun, instead of throwing in a voice chat system that would never rise beyond the the level of token in most players' eyes, no matter how good it may actually be.
  3. Scoriae

Scoriae Cupcake

When would you ever not have enough time to type "heal?" It's about as quick as saying "heal plz"
  4. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Yes, people actually being ignorant fools and able to shout at tanks and healers to do their job whilst being clueless is such a better alternative to written text.

The con's here outweigh the pro's.
  5. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

IKR. I can't say i didn't let anyone die though. I like being a healer because i can chose who dies and who doesn't. And if i've told someone: "The next time you tell me to heal you you'll die." I'm gonna let them die the next time i say: "HEAL ME PLEASE!" in the chat.

It was so fun reading all the: "Omg noob healer!" afterwards.
  6. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

People that don't use comms are always shims. Don't be a shim.

"Teehee, I'm a girl! ^_^ Give me free stuff, cutie! Oh, no, I don't have a mic and my wittle kitty kat ate my speakers."

And it's a 53 year old man.
  7. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I tend not to use voice chat because im not very savvy with the tech and I need a new mic anyway im also not the most confident speaker I prefer to type as it allows me to think as I type and reword things/censor myself as needed to get the message across
  8. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

9. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

Or they're actual women who don't want to be harassed, or they're people who are offended by the kind of language that tends to be used on voice chat, or they just get tired of people's mindless babbling.

Most raiding guilds require people to use voice chat at least to listen, but I don't think it's going to be reasonable to expect that you'll PUG up with a bunch of people and they'll all want to listen to you call the tank a noob or that all players in the game will be using some kind of voice communication.
    Lsya likes this.
  10. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

It's pretty sad that people are going to just assume they're going to get harassed if they join a voicechat server. I guess that's MMO culture these days.

I just prefer not to play with people that won't use comms. It's nothing personal. I just want to get <REDACTED> done, and that's the most effective way to do it.
  11. Sayantan

Sayantan Cupcake

I hate typing, so I use mumble voice chat to lead raids. Recently, I have begun to hate talking on mumble too. Wish I could be psychic and control my players using uber psychic powers. QQ

Meanwhile, here's a soundboard for you guys to enjoy:
    http://www.troxed.com/soundboard.php

And no, I am not Troxed, the author of the soundboard!
  12. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    There is a reason that people will assume that. It's the same reason I turn off General chat when I'm in most games. And it's not just the MMO culture, just the culture of anonymity. When you can hide behind a screen name you can act like an <REDACTED>. Now, most do not, it is only just a few. Unfortunately, those few happen to be louder then the majority.
    I use v-chat for talking with guildmates and if I pug and they need me on vent/ts/mumble then I'll jump on. That lasts until I hear a 12yo start calling our healer a <REDACTED>/<REDACTED>/what ever. There is no need for it, but it'll happen.
  13. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

No need. Some games have tried, and failed with the in-game chat. Unless they can make it just as good as TS, or vent, then it's not worth it. And it's not worth spending money to make it as good as TS or vent, simply because those 2 are already out there, and widely used...

There is not much return of investment in trying to make a better chat when there are already good options out there, and people are too used to it... It's like trying to make another facebook that works just like facebook...

Now, if they could make some sort of add-on, or something so you can control vent, or skype within the game without having to minimize it... Or if Carbine could even setup a vent/ts server for players to use... Now, that would be an interesting idea...
  14. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I wish for proximity chatter. So in city in radius of 10 meters I should be able to hear everybody the quieter the further away they are. And in addition there should be some noise if there are many players in the location (talking noise). But this will not happen. It is too much for connection to handle just yet.
  15. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with this 100%, Even though I love VoIP (and fully suport its enforced use by all guilds for a gamut of reasons) when I'm grouping with guildies (even though I rarely use it in combat unless I have to). I wouldn't ever do it in a PUG partially because I'd want to stab myself from morons trying to prove they're right because they're the loudest and partially because I couldn't help myself from yelling back as the average aggregate player skill on a server heavily tends to 0.

As an aside in a guild any sort of drama caused by gender (be it skeezy guys or gamer gurlz or 56yo guys pretending to be women) needs to be met with immediate and harsh measures and any guild that allows drama like that to occur shouldn't be one anyone should be a part of.
    3 of the 5 officers in my guild are women and we've never had any trouble like that (for long >.>) I get the whole general public atmosphere is different due to anonymity. Screened guilds however should never have a climate like that its not the 90s anymore MMOs aren't mens clubs and assuming a woman can prove herself competent to fill a role she should expect the same treatment as everyone else (not to be harassed and not to expect special treatment).
  16. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Like so?

(from The Oatmeal)

It's not really an assumption, Xbox Live for example is notorious for very violent verbal abuse and verbal sexual harassment (there are sites with sound recordings and screencaps etc).

Of course, nothing is stopping people from harassing via text either and they do, but text is easier to prove and get infractions/banned for, all the GM has to do is look at the log. Audio abuse is harder and more time and resource-consuming to prove and punish in that respect (and with the Xbox example, management has been <REDACTED> at attempting to do anything about it).

Anyway, with regards to the topic, I haven't seen a good in-game voip in an MMO yet so I wouldn't vouch for one being implemented. As others have pointed out, telegraphs will have an added effect of facilitating communication without needing to type, to an extent.

But for difficult content, voice chat is usually more or less a necessity, and that kind of thing shouldn't (imo) be puggable anyway, so third-party voice chat programs (yay Mumble!) are ideal.
  17. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

I don't mean that the person that assumes they are going to be harassed is sad. It's sad that our online communities can be so terrible.

I mean, I've seen it, too. That's why I roll with good people.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  18. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    Apologies for misreading. I agree. I have a good group I run with, and yeah we give each other a hard time, but it's all in good fun. The good do outnumber the bad, we just need to be more vocal.
  19. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

You're good! I wasn't very specific. :D
  20. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

This is why I don't use voice chat at all unless with a group of friends that I play with regularly. Playing while hearing various conversations and stuff about topics I don't care about wear me out.

I can understand organized raids wanting people to at least listen, but in a group that's filled with constant chatter...the voice gets turned off.

We played MMOs for years without voice chat, and it worked fine.