1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Who uses the crook/staff?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Katu_Kath, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

A while back, I remember seeing a thread about the weapons someone saw a vendor selling, and a crook/staff was on that list. We all kind of assumed it would just be for the main healer. With the recent videos that came out, and the big mechari cut-out using what we assumed to be some sort of shock pads as a weapon, Im curious as to who you all think would use the staff?

It could be possible that the healer class that we all think is medic uses the staff, and the shock pads are something similar to the warriors arm cannon, but I dont think they would have a giant mechari cutout using a secondary weapon, and that is kind of debunked by the fact that mechari cant use magic.

It is also possible that the crook/staff weapon was for an earlier build of the game, and they went a different direction for it. I cant seem to find the thread I was talking about earlier, but It couldnt have been more than a couple of months ago. Seems like a big waste of already made animations if they were to go a different direction. That and we did see a Aurin male running around with a staff during the gameplay videos for the draken starting area.

I apoligize for not being able to cite my sources, but im not currently in a position to go find all the videos and interviews and the like. I'm curious as to what you all think about it? Has this weapon already been debunked as an earlier build? Are we looking at the possibility of a 7th class? And if anyone has any info (or my info is wrong) please post so we can keep this updated. Most of what I posted was from memory, so I may have gotten some stuff mixed up.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Is it just me or....
    I think this should belong in the ''official classes speculation thread''?

7th class? (go check the classes thread....at launch 6 classes, future expansions can bring more, for they have enough names/concepts etc. links in the classes thread once again).
  3. Theirin

Theirin Cupcake

Not sure if you ever played WoW or any other MMO's but a lot of them used a 2H and a Main-hand, off-hand system for the games, and that could be exactly what we are seeing here with the shock pads and the staff? Just speculation but I agree this should probably be in the other thread =)
  4. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

We have it confirmed that each class only gets 1 weapon, there is no 2h and main/off for one class, there is only main hand, but I will post this in the other thread, thanks for the tip guys!
    Theirin likes this.
  5. Theirin

Theirin Cupcake

So glad I am on this site, I learn new stuff about the game everyday =)
  6. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I am beginning to think the whole staff/crook weapon aurin that's seen in many of the released videos is a class that's unavailable to players in the game. More just something NPCs have to fight with.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

My thoughts as well.

I hope this is the case too. I can tolerate swords and the like in a sci-fi MMO but staves? Makes me suspect this staff class, if true, will end up being really lame as a result.
  8. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Swords I can kind of understand in a sci-fi setting. Sword with molecular edges that can slice through anything. Shields that can defend against ranged attacks, but aren't ass effect as dealing with the blunt forge of a sword. Kind of like how knives are still used today in the military. But a knife is too small for a granok and a sword is just a really big knife in their thinking!

Carbine did take the classic 'wizard' class and polish it for a sci-fi setting with the Spellsinger. Instead of waving a wand made of wood at their enemies, Spellsingers blast it with a magic-channeling gun instead! Yay! Guns! Pew! Pew!

An Esper's Psyblade isn't always the physical weapon that does damage. It's just a focus. Probably explained away that certain combination of elements and alloy within the weapn itself enhance the natural brain waves of the user. It's a focus. It's a focus, but not like made of wood, dirt and chicken bones. Instead one made of a space-age reactive alloy attuned to interact with magnetic frequencies of the brain. And yes most blood (even non-human blood) has a metal in it to transport oxygen. So in a silly sci-fi way, it makes sense.
    FruitPunchHero likes this.
  9. Brynnevere

Brynnevere Cupcake

I kinda hope there isn't a staff class. Just doesn't seem like a very sci-fi weapon. Maybe those "staves" are just explorer walking sticks!
    FruitPunchHero and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  10. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

That picture of the Mechari from PAX seems to be the true healer class in the game and the other unannounced class will most likely be the one who uses the staff/crook. I am betting it is some sort of illusionist that is the master of crowd control, sort of like an old school enchanter.
  11. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

i want a class that can charm creatures and enemies into attacking them selves and eachother:D
  12. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Too OP.
  13. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

I'd argue that a staff class is just as sci-fi as a sword wielding class, or a class that uses psionic powers. A staff makes a better object to fill with batteries/energy sources and having it releasing bolts of energy or being used as a very large tazer style weapon. Given the very real effectiveness of a staff style weapon, there's no reason to think that they'd be given up completely by a society that still uses swords. Evidence of these sorts of energy filled weapons can be seen in at least Stargate and Warhammer 40k, and probably some I don't know about or have forgotten.

Aside from that, the animations, rigs and art are already in the game. They're probably already working on ideas for expansion classes, and I would not be surprised if a staff wielding monk style class, or a legitimate caster style class using a staff as a focus was on the way.