1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why are the Exiles Considered the "Good" team, again?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by MrJayBob, Jul 15, 2013.

?

So, Are the Exiles Good, or do they just want War?

1. Good

40.7%
  2. Rebels

59.3%
  1. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, not much in the Lore to go based on plenty of the conversations here. Always looking forward for more lore. However, "As punishment for aiding the fugitive humans, the Dominion declared unconditional sovereignty over the Aurin's forest kingdom and sent an army of devastating Planet Reapers to collect the empire's rightful due." The "fugitives" being "descendants of the survivors of Brightland's Rebellion on planet Cassus." Just because they are related to the initial betrayers that is enough to label them as "fugitives" in the Dominion's eye.

"The Aurin fought back bravely against the initial Dominion forces who invaded Arboria" - Fighting back means the initial Dominion forces attacked first :p

I definitely see this as a neutral 'country' offering aid to refugees. And yes, oftentimes refugees consist of members of the opposing military, as well as masses of non-combatants. The Dominion reaction isn't one consistent with a neutral 'country' helping refugees though, so obviously they view it differently like a 'country' harboring terrorists. I get it :alien: I don't agree with it :whistling:

Haha, don't worry, we have "experience" talking these issues out! :roflamo:
    ArdentSun likes this.
  2. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

I'm just not interested in it, anymore. Xlugon has gone into a position of shifting goalposts and ad hominem attacks. You're making a decent point but I'm just too drained to go into it any further. Send me a PM if you'd like to run over it some more and I'll gladly talk about it, tomorrow.

-Rachel-
  3. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

The irony here, it is so delectable I fear that my internet palette will never again be the same.

However, I have no interest in having another mod-bait session of "discussion" here. I sadly am not willing to participate unless it becomes necessary at some point, I know from practice that no good will come of arguing with Steampunkette. That said, I would like to say that I fully back Xlugon Pyro and am definitely with him in spirit.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

LOL you gave my alerts a workout, that's for sure. XD
  5. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I don't want to touch this discussion with ten feet stick, but I will try one poke with eleven feet long one;

With steampunkette's logic Soviet Union should had declared war on Sweden when they sent food and clothing to Finland during the Winter War, even tho Sweden was non allied neutral country?
    ArdentSun likes this.
  6. MrJayBob

MrJayBob New Cupcake

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! you'll only cause this thread to spiral more out of control! lol...

In all seriousness though, this thread has caused great points for both sides but just went WAY off the deep end imo.. so to summarize, Both factions are capable of both Great Evil or Great Good. it is just your own personal preference and hopefully this thread has helped people find your home.

I for one, have gone from siding with the Dominion to throwing my lot in with the Exiles (better Vibe overall and I love the Mordesh Lore, as I've previously stated, and the whole chua psycho shtick is going to get old real quick). Also if a mod could change the poll (as I don't know how to contact one) from "Anarchists" to "Outlaws" (or if someone has a better term for Exiles from a Dominion View, that would be great). but hopefully we get more lore to keep the debate going (fingers crossed for the "Meet the race" interviews next week)

Credit where Credit is Due: Give a Round of Applause for Steampunkette and Xlugon Pyro for keeping us Entertained, and blowing up my Alert....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

LOL you're welcome.
  8. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

No, I loved her to bits :D... thought she was adorable.

Is she single?
  9. Steampunkette

Why are the Exiles considered Good?

Because:
    [​IMG]
    /thread

-Rachel-
  10. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Dunno how many times i have seen you in threads that are essentially Dominion vs Exile. And you ALWAYS have had a dominion favoritism attitude. To be honest you should just step back and stop arguing, And show a little self control (to not even enter into a debate in such threads).

Simply because every time you come in it is full blown dominion favoritism that you try hide as being neutral. It really isn't that hard to stand back and not say anything. As i am sure you have heard plenty ''If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all'', and no that doesn't mean it has to sound nice but in essence be a ''backhanded compliment'' type attitude.
    ArdentSun likes this.
  11. Steampunkette

Personally I -am- neutral. The Ferret Force is an Exiles guild and my first and probably primary character will be a Mordesh. I wind up defending the Dominion so much because there are so many people who misunderstand the group or twist the lore as it stands to make them seem far WORSE than they are.

The same thing happens in WoW. Recently I was defending the Forsaken as a group of people who are put in a terrible situation, cut off from the rest of the Horde and functioning as a buffer between the Eastern Kingdoms of Stormwind and Ironforge for the kingdom of Silvermoon. How they're constantly under attack by the Scarlet Crusade. How Garrosh uses them as fodder against the Worgen and demands Sylvanas let her people die. How the Tauren treat them as monsters just as much if not more than Garrosh does. And yet, invariably, the response is that they're evil and no amount of circumstance justifies them being evil. They're accused of en-masse horror which disparate members of the group enact: Not the whole of them. Yet you point out Humans or Dwarves or Gnomes doing many of the same things and people are happy to brush it off as a specific individual or minority. When it's the Forsaken, though, it's taken as a pattern.

Yet depending on the month my "Main" character in WoW has been Nelfish Druid or Mage, Human Paladin (Tank), Dranei Shaman, Forsaken DK, Belf Warlock, Belf Paladin (Healer), Troll Shaman, and others.

I wind up arguing for the Dominion because few people will. The devs have stated that neither the Dominion nor the Exiles are the "Bad Guys", multiple times. And yet every freaking day on the boards it's "Genocide!" and "Cruelty!" and more and more and more. The people on these boards who are Pro-Exile are so violently pro-Exile that they become Anti-Dominion. Like all those ads about "Manly" men and how they should avoid "Girly" things. In the process of trying to show how awesome the Exiles are they lambaste the Dominion.

If you want me to stop being so Pro-Dominion, tell others to stop being so Anti-Dominion.

-Rachel-
    Chim likes this.
  12. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

I don't generally bother with Lore, it doesn't interest me personally.

So with very little knowledge my immediate instinct was go with Exiles because they felt right for me. I find them on the whole more charming.

I suppose it's the gaming equivalent of picking a racehorse based on its appearance. But where race selection is concerned it works for me :).
  13. Skippy

If you are "neutral as you say, why do you pick a side to argue for? That is the complete oposite of being neutral, if you roll a mordesh or not.

Why claim to be neutral and then go on to try justify being pro-dominion? This is the exact "backhanded compliment" type attitude I'm talking about.

You say people "twist" the lore to suit them and make the dominion out to be bad? No, they read the lore and "their" interpritation is that they are bad, cool those people will play exiles. And people who think the exiles are the bad side? They will play dominion most of the time.

You are the worst offender of twisting the lore to make it what you want, in your case it is dominion favoritism. You think the dominion are good or bad or whatever? Awesome, that's your opinion. Don't push it on to everyone else as something they must take as fact when it is only your interpretation.

You know what I do when a Christian trys pushing god on me? I tell them to <REDACTED> off. So why try preach the dominion to people who don't want you to preach to them.
    ArdentSun likes this.
  14. Steampunkette

My preferences are neutral. The position I take in the discussion is pro-Dominion. Or, more accurately, the position I take is Dominion-Defensive and seems rabidly prod-Dominion based on how strongly Anti-Dominion some people on these boards are. Sort of how Centrists in the US are now identified in the media as Left-Leaning thanks to how far Right the political discourse has been yanked.

If there were a strong anti-Exile trend on the boards I would likely take up a role in discussion of a similar if diametric manner.

Now you can either accept what I'm telling you as my own thought process and goals... Or you can assume I'm a horrible liar who is trying to cover up some horrible Dominion-bias with rationalizations. Regardless of what you believe, the truth will remain the same.

-Rachel-
  15. Skippy

As soon as you lean one way way or the other you are throwing the neutral card out the window. It is that simple, you can not remain neutral while arguing for one side.

Also there isn't such a "heavy" favoritism for exile on these boards, there are just as many dominion followers, you just say its heavier toward exiles to further try justify your pro-dominion attitude.

If you aren't going to remain neutral (and stop spitting that you are cos you are not) either take up the dominion favorist tag when you argue for them or stop trying to argue on the forums with stuff you twist to suit you.
  16. Steampunkette

Yup. I'm done being attacked. Just put me on ignore if you're going to keep second guessing me after I've EXPLAINED my position to you.

-Rachel-
  17. Kasern

Kasern Cupcake

I just hope it isn't as bad the Star Wars factions. Sure, the books and such try to explore how the Republic does plenty of evil stuff and that sometimes the Empire is the good guy but in the movies and in the Old Republic it's pretty much "Republic is Good, Sith is Bad".

I hate that kind of story telling. It's for children and if gaming wants to be taken more seriously than you can't be that black and white. Personally I think WoW succeeds in being quite gray, but it's one of the few.

If, despite all the devs protests otherwise, the game launches and we discover that yes - the Dominion are the evil empire and the Exiles are the plucky rebels, then I will be sorely disappointed.

In my mind, the Exiles may be fleeing from a big cruel empire but that doesn't mean they are the good guys themselves. Take the Aurin for example. Everyone thinks of them as cute furries, all about nature and helping everyone. They're the Sylvari all over again.

But I think they might be eco-terrorists. They're not the victims they pretend to be. Oh no, they're obsessed with returning the galaxy to nature. And they will kill those that don't agree with them.
  18. Skippy

That's where I personally think they have done well with it from what I've seen so far. The factions have a very black and white feel to them on face value, depending heavily on personal opinion and what the individual views as good or bad. But for those who care enough to look further in to lore it is a fairly gray area.
  19. Iamaom

Iamaom New Cupcake

Not exactly.

That's a fantastic concept, the PETA of wildstar. It'd also be cool if they were racist against the Mechari (or even the Exile as a whole), seeing them as non-living technological monstrosities while the Dominion gives them personhood status.
  20. Skippy

someone playing devils advocate will nominate themselves or be nominated to do so, you can not simply argue for a point to the point where you are sick of an argument and then cry devil's advocate.

That's like kids playing a game and if it doesn't go the way of the kid who thought up the game they change the rules so that they win.

If someone is chosing to "play devil's advocate" they kind of need to state so, otherwise not expect their argument to be taken as so.
    ArdentSun likes this.