1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why can't Chua's be Warriors or Stalkers!

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Ha'boo, Jul 19, 2013.

?

Would you like to be a Warrior or a Stalker as a Chua?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. No

87 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. Trigger

Trigger Cupcake

This is a problem with all the races.
    There aren't really enough cl asses to warrant the restrictions. Unless it really is a budget thing but that doesn't not make it disappointing for some of us.
  2. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

First statement is far from reality on our planet. Train some in various combat, self-defense, and acrobatic fields to understand this. Being able to do one physical thing effectively doesn't mean you can do another.

The swords I've seen are freaking huge in WildStar, and they don't appear to scale down to a Chua's level. If the swords were to scale down, a Chua's 2 handed sword would be a any other race's dagger.

The best reasoning for a Chua to be a warrior is that warriors also have grenades, and Chua apparently love to blow stuff up!
  3. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

I think restrictions is a good thing sometimes, and this is one of them, or it whould be running around chua stalkers everywhere.
    Minor things like this is good to let it be, or the comunity will nag Carbine down and Wildstar will end up like WoW, and we dont want that now do we!? :eek: ....:up:
  4. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

Both make no sense for the Chua, for reasons stated previously. Also, it is likely all Chua will be ranged, this ensures that you can clearly see what class they are before getting up in their face. PvP silhouettes and all that good stuff, melee Chua would be too hard to identify before thy were on your face killing you.

As for the people saying that this small matter makes them seriously rethink their purchase of this game... If that is how you feel then I don't think you were ever very serious about this game in the first place...
    Nearo, Rundo and Kataryna like this.
  5. Trigger

Trigger Cupcake

Different people value different things in their MMOs. I know I won't be playing FFXIV and it is all because of the race selection.
    Tribe and Mellkor like this.
  6. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Draken Stalker: "Okay, Chua, over there is a Granok. Embrace the art of stalking your prey. Be like the wind and as silent as the grave. Patience and silence are the key to-"

Chua: "Whee! Granok! I make go boom! Boom! With big bomb! Bomb! Yahoo! Kaboom! Mwahaha!"
    Apostate likes this.
  7. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

well if they were warriors their tails would get in the way of the sword and just be passing back in forth through it - same thing with the aurin
    and the only way to get around it is to make the sword shorter or the tail just flop to the side out of the way
  8. Domi Dayglow

What about drakens and their tails?
  9. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Fair point, But if you look at the animations Those swords are at a 45 degree angle which would not intersect a tail.
  10. Domi Dayglow

I guess there could be a couple of Lore reasons why chua would not carry a sword. I mean, what self respecting chua would whack something with a sword when they can carry around a giant cannon and grenades to blow things up into interesting little pieces?
    ArdentSun and Kataryna like this.
  11. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

yes i see that now
    but yeah like Domi Dayglow said it could be lore wise because there the ranged boom boom type
    just like the aurin are the ranged power type - i know the stalker isnt much ranged - but it fits their moe animalistic side
  12. Mr_Wayne

Mr_Wayne Cupcake

I am also disappointed that the Chua cannot be warriors or stalkers because I love the background and looks of the Chua but prefer melee combat. However, I can see lore wise and balance reasons on why they are not the following classes. To be honest, small races in my opinion never look good in warrior type armor and weapons because it is all to clustered and disproportionate so that may have been a reason to restrict them but Im guessing its more balance and lore.

If you are on the same boat as me though OP (love the chua and melee) the speculation of a melee healer is still present soooo we may be able to still beat stuff up as the Chua! :D
  13. Aldem

Aldem New Cupcake

I don't think logic has a place in a world full of talking balls of fur, rock people, and bunny elves. In DnD sessions some of the best characters I've seen were those that played against the type (the gnome fighter with the hooked hammer, the thug dwarf rogue, high elven barbarian, etc.). And that's just from a roleplay stand-point. For all we know we might gravitate towards a race for their perks and how they synergize with a class we want to play.
    Having more options is always good.
    Aldamar likes this.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

While that ordinarily makes sense, even fictional worlds need to have some level of believability in order to be immersive and fun.

That said, I don't care what classes chua get as long as aurin get to be warriors as well and perhaps one or two of the unrevealed classes too.
  15. Brimdang

Brimdang Cupcake

As of now each attack for each class has a unique animation, not just unique particle effects. There are no shared animations. Even the Warrriors basic sword attack has at least 2 unique animations (forward hand and backhand) and all animations are high quality and have good flow.
    My guess is that this is a time/budget restraint thing. The current race class combinations are the ones that fit the best.
    Although I would be surprised if some of the restrictions aren't lifted later on after launch, there is certainly enough demand for it.
    (Speculation now) That and if there was a chua stalker his/her claws would clip through the ground when they stand idle unless they were really really small. There isn't even going to be sitting in chairs because of clipping, they would never allow a class idle like that.
    Kataryna likes this.
  16. The Big Q

The Big Q Cupcake

I think it mostly boils down to lore/believability. I understand that may other games have allowed the short race to be the warrior or paladin or other heavy armor classes. And yes being the midget in plate is funny in an absurd sort of way, but it just doesn't jive with reality. "You mean you want more realism in your game about space bunny-girl scientists, floating sky houses, and ancient alien home-world exploration?" You say to me. The answer is no. I want believability, not realism. And yes, There is a difference between the two. It may be somewhat nuanced, but very it's important nonetheless.

Realism pertains things that are similar to the world in which we live. Wildstar is in no way realistic. We do not have galaxy spanning empires comprised of multiple alien species in our world, we can't even get people across our own solar system yet. We also don't see magic in our lives. These things simply don't mesh with the real world. But they could, or at least they could exist in a world similar to ours.

Believability on the other hand deals with things that seem internally consistent, or otherwise possible even if we don't ever experience them. Things that maybe could be true, and if not in our world maybe in some other one. Believability is what allows for willing suspension of disbelief, which in turn allows for immersion. Let's take for example the world of Harry Potter. It's an entirely unrealistic world, but it's still somewhat believable for two reasons. For one the magic seems to follow a set of rules, and it is established early on that magic exists. Number two, we want to believe, because it's awesome.

Believability has a lot to do with internal consistency and the feasibility of something. If something follows its own rules we are much more likely to accept it without asking too many questions. Hence the need for explanation of things that seem strange. Basically the more unrealistic something is, or the more it breaks from a world's established laws (which are usually the same as ours unless otherwise stated), the harder it is to accept. But this is where the "rule of cool" comes into play. If something is really awesome, we want to accept it as possible, even if it might not be. These two effects are in direct competition. Basically the limit of willing suspension of disbelief is directly proportional the thing's awesomeness. Added explanations can help make up any shortcoming in coolness. This is why you always see a tech officer say something about the ship's warp drive or an old wizard explains something about magic. And why all superheroes have an origin story about where they got their powers. They couldn't just have them, no matter how cool they are, because they stand out from the rest of the world.

If something is too strange and does not have enough going for it the thing becomes unbelievable. This usually leads to the viewer breaking their suspension of disbelief, which in turn ruins immersion. The reason loss of immersion is such a big problem is that in order to really enjoy a fictional world, you must first immerse yourself in it. The most enjoyable shows or books are the ones that draw you in entirely. This is especially true for video games, as you are directly controlling on of the entities in the world. Essentially you become part of the world, if only temporarily. The experience is completely immersive.

With all that said, things like Chua or Aurin being warriors is somewhat unbelievable. It's hard to imagine it being possible. There is simply no way that the Chua hitting with it's dagger sized two hander is going to do as much damage as the Granok that's swinging a seven foot sword. But if the Chua is using a magical laser pistol it's going to do just as much damage as the human using what is essentially the same gun. Sure the human gun has a bigger grip, but the power source is probably equal in output, plus the effectiveness of the gun is determined largely by the user's aim. Being small doesn't stop you from aiming well, but it does stop you from swinging a sword really hard. Alongside the physics of the matter is the lore. The Chua are known to be technological experts that like use their intelligence to build machines that hurt their opponents. They aren't known to have great physical prowess. Their look kind of dictates this. Chua are short and rotund, not a form that lends itself to physical combat readily. It makes sense that the Aurin can be stalkers, they may not be very bulky, but they are lithe and known to be arboreal which implies a good deal of dexterity. Things that make sense for a class like the stalker, which is based on maneuverability and swift well executed attacks. Not the raw power the warrior brings to the field. Plus a Chua warrior doesn't look that cool, it may be funny but it's not that awesome. Hence the cool factor doesn't overrule the ridiculousness

TLDR; I'm glad the Chua can't be warriors. It doesn't make sense for who they are. And all the other times I've seen the short race be a warrior like class in another game it has bothered me. I feel like the cheapens the game.
    Nearo, kichkinet, Evgen88 and 4 others like this.
  17. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

One of the things that annoyed me about Guild Wars 2 is that there's absolutely no differentiation amongst the races beyond looks. I like each race to have a few unique features. A couple classes they can't play, some unique emotes, maybe a minor power with minimal impact (and preferably no PvP impact at all.) Just look at most races, and you can problem come up with one or two classes that don't work as well.

I occasionally have run into the "but I want to be a human druid" problem myself. It's worth it to me though to have some uniqueness.
    Rundo likes this.
  18. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

Well, you could argue the racial abilities. But most all of those were so weak that no one used them, and the ones that weren't weak were OP, some still aren't fixed I'm pretty sure. (Like most everything in GW2 lolololol... /deep sigh of sadness)
  19. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

It must be a budget thing. Future expansions may fix it.
    Edit: Actually I don't know. Maybe it's a lore which must set some limits on classes for each race, so the story and character can stay interesting.
    Btw, why Granok can't be a stalker or an esper? It's much easier to answer this, isn't it? (I still think that Chuas should be stalkers as it seems to be in their nature as well as tinkering :))
  20. Saleex

Saleex New Cupcake

That's true...
    Ok, my opinion falls off.. physics is just weird in this game :D