1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why can't Mechari be Spellslingers?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Miatog, Jun 2, 2013.

1. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe your car can. No Dominion member has a soul though.
  2. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

This would be less of an issue for me if ever cinematic of a Mechari didn't have them blasting something with a pistol.
  3. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

but their pistols aren't MAGIC pistols! also, it's likely an ability from a different class...
  4. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

I'm somewhat doubtful there will be a second class with pistols, doesn't seem to jive with Carbine's focus on silhouettes and ease of identification.
  5. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

It is called a Nondisclosure Agreement! All information is speculative and subject to change.
  6. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

i said - ability - like the whirly saw thing they show the warriors use... not a second class with the same weapon...
  7. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

This is part of it for me, we don't have a lore reason why yet, so I'm throwing ideas to make it work. I'll mostly likely back off 100% when they give us a lore reason why...unless it's a horrible one but from what I've seen so far I'll likely be happy with it. Until such a time, I'll sit, and hope, and offer simple reasons why it could work ^_^

This is the other part of it for me too, soon as I saw that vid, I assumed they could be spellslingers, then I saw they couldn't and my heart sank. That scene made me want to be a Mechari Spellslinger.
  8. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

It's a machine. How the hell can a machine use magic ?! It makes no sense even for a fantasy universe.
  9. Luc

Luc Cupcake-About-Town

Read the full topic. it makes sense, they would EMULATE magic. so they could be spellsingers.
  10. Pang

Pang New Cupcake

Well to some saying, a machine can't use magic even in a fantasy world, doesn't make sense.

Seeing as how this is a fantasy world and one based in Sci-fi I see no reason Tech can't be interchangeable with Magic. not sure where its written there absolutely has to be a separation. Besides isn't there a saying that goes, something about technology and magic being the same at a certain level of advancement and with a fantasy world there really is no limit.

Personally I always get a chuckle out of the things that some people can accept and the things they can't ie "it doesn't make sense" in fantasy settings. So like you can accept big ass killer robots and magic but mixing the two is where the line is drawn? lol ok.
  11. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

And next in Star Wars: jedi droids. Totally acceptable.
  12. Miatog

As I said before, there have been experiments. Seriously. Besides, the force isn't magic anymore, you can thank Episode 1 for that.
  13. Ianaris Faladrin

Ianaris Faladrin New Cupcake

'Toll the Great Bell Once! Pull the Lever forward to engage the Piston and Pump... Toll the Great Bell Twice! With push of Button fire the Engine and spark Turbine into life... Toll the Great Bell thrice! Sing Praise to the God of all Machines.' - Tech-Priests of Mars. Couldn't help myself.

I don't think we're going by any other universes' laws here, this is the WildStar universe after all.

I honestly like the set-up Carbine has now, it keeps the race -unique- and like the Dominion trailer showed us the Mechari were only made to kill not heal. (This is my assumption of course since Spellslingers can become healers and also the very limited info that is available.)
  14. popober

"Emulating" is not the same as actually using magic. You can create jets of fire from your palms with tubes, gas, and an ignition source, but you can't shape it into a dragon or make it so that it can burn in space, etc etc. Like I said, they could probable make some sparks here and there, but not actual magic.

In the end these kinds of threads only say one thing: "I want X, but the devs don't want me to have it, so implement Y, ignore the reason I can't have it, because I want to have it. GIVE IT TO ME." There's a reason they have limitations, both lore and gameplay, if we're always going by this logic of giving everything to everyone, then why bother making classes, paths, or different weapons at all? Why bother having factions? Why bother having a story set in an expansive, detailed, and crafted universe if everyone is just going change it to suit their own petty wants? Just give everything to everyone to please a few.

I for one wish to hell that the undead race can be Stalkers, but if not I'll just go human, I'm not gonna <REDACTED> and moan. Like someone said above, wait for expansions, maybe they'll lessen restrictions by then, or if you can't wait, grow up.
  15. Luc

Luc Cupcake-About-Town

Dude, no one is morphing into dragons here. but if Transformers can morph into cars and jets, i'm pretty sure that with some EPIC technology they could morph into a dragon lol.
  16. popober

I said morph the fire into a dragon. Read the whole thing. Mechari can probably produce electricity or some fire from their body, hence emulating magic, but they can't do much else. They can't actually use magic like ripping a whole in time and space or something.
  17. NerdEsq

NerdEsq Cupcake

I would wait and see if more classes get added to races. Right now, only warrior is listed for Granok, and I just don't see that staying that way for launch. I would expect things to change as time goes on.
  18. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

It's definitely not staying that way. They're getting both of the unannounced classes. ;)
  19. Miatog

Like I said before, if official lore is stated to explain it, I'll be satisfied with that, until such lore comes there is no harm in me stating that I want something. If the game launches with no lore reason for it but the mechari still can't be spellslingers, then I'll either have to roll a different race or a different class, but I won't complain then either. The game is only in beta, a real beta not just a silly preview that gets called beta. Everything is in flux and up for change as coding, timeline, money, and yes simple whims demand. Meaning this is the time to speak up.

This is a point that we will just sit here and disagree on till there is official lore to support one of us. There is really no reason why they can't do magic or mimic it well. We're talking about a machine race made by people who are reported to have become gods (yes debatable point with how that got declared). Their origin makes it even more likely in my view that they can pull it off.
  20. popober

Things can change yes. But actually implementing a new class to a race this late in development? Designing new animations, making new armor designs, and rescaling weapons? Doubtful.

No, that doesn't mean they can pull it off. They're machines, they can mimic magic as well as they can by producing special effects here and there, but they won't actually be able to pull it off. They can spurt flames here and there, but they're still not actually conjuring it. They can't manipulate it. There's usually some kind of connection required for magic, and in this world it seems one of those things is a requirement that you're made from organic or biological material, hence why Granok can't use it either. It's not shown yet as the game's not released, but that doesn't mean it's not there already and they haven't set their minds to it.

Again, the story's there, if people just bent every universe to please evey single whine, then what's the point of having lore and backstory? What's the point of having a universe? Why not just turn Nexus into a blank room and give everyone the same thing? Why bother going through the trouble of giving each races unique characteristics in the first place?

Maybe later something comes up and it turns out "magic" isn't at all what people thought and in fact is just a very high form of technology that's impossible to comprehend for non-Eldans, then Mechari and Granoks can become SS and Espers too. But until then, there's a lot saying Mechari can't use magic and a nothing saying otherwise.