1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why I won't play Ws

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Davota, May 10, 2014.

1. Davota

Davota New Cupcake

Wildstar's art style and desing choice really annoys me. I don't care if game is so good in terms of game play etc but it is too punky and childish just.Even it is more childish than WoW races look too silly and punky they are for kids or for the ones who loves punky style.The way draken race being hunched etc just like orcs being hunched in wow really? people are complaining for orcs being hunched for years and you are making a hunched race..... Also races are so disproportional very unaesthetic
  2. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

fair enough, each to there own, the aesthetic isnt for everyone, kthxbai ?
    gabers1 and Bristae like this.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

So why are you making a thread on a fansite about it rather than the actual boards, or better yet through a /bug or feedback so the devs get it directly?
    gabers1 and Val like this.
  4. Davota

Davota New Cupcake

to express my annoyance and to use my freedom of speech ofc and ı wanted to share my opinion that is it :) + wanted to make post at wildstar forums ı am not allowed to do so
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

People are complaining about any race of almost any MMO, does that mean they should just stop making different races at all? In WoW people complain about Tauren, Trolls, Orcs, Night Elfs, Blood Elfs, Gnomes, Goblins, Worgen, Draenei.....well tbh I think the human race is the race that get's the least complaints....
    They make different races for the sake of serving to different kind of players. There are people who love the Draken for who they are and how they look.

So i'm glad that Carbine doesn't listen to those who keep complaining without any good/decent reason except their own ''I don't like it'' reasons, and instead just keep doing what they are doing now.

Well, not everyone can like the same things. Personally I like the looks and it kinda reminds me of Ratchet and Clank.

But to call it ''childish''......
  6. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

nothing is more childish than to call something else childish.

In my immature days I would of hidden things I enjoyed that would be childish now as an adult I leave it open for the world to see.
  7. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

That same principle has a flipside. It's called ''criticizing your biased opinion''
  8. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

Constructive criticism is generally a good thing but this sounds more like a subjective opinion to me. It's not something that's going to be particularly helpful to Carbine. They already know that there'll be people who simply won't like various aspects of their game, such as the art style for example. When someone creates a thread like this and then get defensive when it's criticized, I can't help but think that it's all just a case of Snowflake Syndrome. But then again, I'm a rather cynical individual...
    Laban likes this.
  9. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Oh no you are completely right, I see this attitude for every game out there. Some people give biased opinions that will not help the devs at all unless you want a completely different game and then get offended and cite some stupid freedom of speech or 1rst amendment bullcrap for justification to spread negativity with no rhyme or reason.

I won't fault the Original Poster for it though, some people arn't taught that freedom of speech can cut both ways and is not excuse to be a jerk.
  10. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

Joined yesterday just to complain about the art style. An aesthetic choice that has been no secret for a few years now.

I smell a troll.
    Vusion, Afrotech, Crazyblade and 2 others like this.
  11. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

I love when that happens.
    When the best argument you can make for your cause is that it isn't illegal to express your opinions.... :laugh:
    Chenzo and Afrotech like this.
  12. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

you will be well missed :cry: (sarcasm)
  13. Riddles

Riddles New Cupcake

2 advantages for having a cartoony style of artwork in my opinion:

1. It ages better. If a game is trying to be realistic in style, in 2-5 years it will look outdated and old. Making it cartoony reduces that because its not comparable to real life and other games that are trying to be realistic.

2. It looks better for a wider variety of machines. Great your £3k pc makes a realistic world look amazing! But for the guys on the toasters itll look bad cos you'll have all textures turned to lowest. MMOs are played by a massive range of people and needs to take account for that.
  14. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

While 1 is accurate, 2 is false. Aesthetic has absolutely nothing to do with fidelity. As I have linked so many times before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU
    Nicodemus likes this.
  15. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

WoW looks the way it does to match the designs and visual style established in Warcraft 3. If you never played the RTS games I can understand your dislike for the style but it was a huge draw for people who played the two games in order.

I can forgive loose grammar and spelling, but what exactly does "punky" mean since you decided to use it thrice in two sentences?
  16. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

I respect your opinon OP person. But in my opinon, I like the punky funky fun look. It sets it apart from every other dark brooding MMO with graphics that scream realism (Well try to go for that realistic look .. in a fantasy setting) .... I want fun. Games are meant to be fun. This looks fun :) Its part of why I AM buying Wildst .... And my dog is snoring and running in her sleep ... WTF .... great now she's barking ... in her sleep. You see what you started. Even she wants to have her say !
  17. Skreamed

Skreamed New Cupcake

As an advocate of punk, I think he means bright, colourful, and slightly off the wall ;)
  18. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

I don't understand the mindset of cartoony = childish. There are so many adult oriented cartoons these days and Wildstar's humor tends to lean a bit more into the crude and adult style of humor. And it's a lot easier to get away with big chunks of a dead mob flying all over the places with this style of aesthetic than it would be with a more realistic style game, rating wise, I would imagine.

While this style isn't for everyone, I don't think there is much of a point to make an account on a fan site just to say you don't like it. The OP is either trying to start an argument or is such a narcissist that they just have to express their opinion everywhere.
    Extatica and Kataryna like this.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

As an advocate of advocates we do not acknowledge the so called ''punk'' department.

While Avatar (Aang) could be considered a bit childish it did great amongst a more ''older'' demograph, and wasn't as childish as people thought it to be.

But still those who say cartoons/cartoony are childish haven't seen any of the 18+ rated ones (and no I don't mean the ones about sex but the ones with murder etc.) or haven't played any of the more cartoony games with all those murders etc.
  20. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

protip:
    if you want to destroy my sweater,
    hold this thread as I walk away
    calebrus, Extatica and Kataryna like this.