1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why I won't play Ws

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Davota, May 10, 2014.

1. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Maybe, but it is more entertaining now.
    Katu_Kath and Livnthedream like this.
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Not as entertaining as you drunkenly dancing on a table, but it will do.
    Extatica likes this.
  3. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

I'm a little late to this thread, but my two cents...

When you grow up a little more you won't be so overly concerned with 'childish graphics' and feel a need to try and act mature. It's like a lot of things kids don't do (like hanging out with mom) because it's 'not cool'. You'll grow out of it.
    Vusion likes this.
  4. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

That is the wrong tack to take because its not really true. Some people definitely prefer different aesthetics for different reasons. Look at the sheer amount of flack things like My Little Pony takes, mostly because its a cartoon.
  5. BlackSwan

BlackSwan New Cupcake

With all due respect, and while I accept that everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, I disagree. I'm a designer/art director by trade with 13 years of agency life under my belt. I've grown accustomed to the many anecdotes spewed forth by clients, however, the words 'too cartoony' still have the same effect on me and my illustration department:

[​IMG]

There's a difference between 'childish' and whimsical.
    There's a difference between 'punky' and vibrant; original illustration style.
    There's a difference between 'kid' and 'Puer aeternus'.
    The alternative to hunched Drakens would be this?

:rolleyes:

I applaud all companies who err on the side of humour and eccentricity. The gaming industry has become saturated with 'too much of the same.' Vive la différence! Bring back the zany, obscure, and mildy offensive, I say. I rather enjoy sailing the Good Ship Cray Cray upon the sea of mediocrity!

:D
  6. Domi Dayglow

It was humor and eccentricity that drew me to Wildstar. I have serious and drama everywhere else. I need to embrace my silly side somewhere.
    Kataryna likes this.
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

And here I thought you were silly all the time :cautious:
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. Domi Dayglow

No, only here and wildstar. My patients would probably look at me funny if I started waving my ultrasound probe around like a medic's resonator.

:oops:

I so want to try that now.
    calebrus likes this.
  9. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

You have to play some Skrillex when you do it, but you probably figured that out already.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

No, no she didn't....not everyone is mental.....good God Skrillex.....the Exiles are bad but that....probably some failed Elden experiment.
    Kataryna likes this.
  11. Vusion

Vusion New Cupcake

I was very critical of the art style at first, but it really grew on me the more I played. Now I dig it and I positivly love the sarcastic humor in the game.
  12. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Of course. :) Listen to "good music" 100 time and you'd start to hate it, listen to "wacky music" 100 times and you'd start to like it. Such is neuronal adaptation, a balance of the old and the new. The new will become the old, the forgotten/unaware becomes the new, Aesthetics is by definition, constantly changing.

The "timeless" approach, that is, abstraction, is one of the only method to preserve both a sense of "new" and a sense of "familiar" at the same time. Because abstraction is never the full representation of reality at details, yet it always retain the most striking and prominent key characteristics. It just so happens that in the world of graphics, given the limit of the human visual system, cartoons/comic strikes a key balance.

You just watch, 500 years from now the robo-people of the future will already be using 3-D projections instead of TV, but they'll still be enjoying comics.
  13. Domi Dayglow

Wildstar's art style can be compared to Bugs Bunny. The real ones. Not the one made in the last decade, but the ones made seventy years ago. They're still fun to watch even if you have seen them a hundred times.
  14. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

15. Domi Dayglow

That doesn't count as original loony toons.
  16. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Actually the bronies on that show take flak because it looks like a ''girls show'' by the animation and subject matter at first glance (The fact it was initially created for young girls and there families did not help either as people always forget the '' and there families'' part).

The stupidity here is that there is many shows created just for boys that are watched by both genders, or there is people who watch the sitcom shows just to see a bunch of attractive teenage girls while not being teenagers themselves and yet those shows are regarded as okay with no negative stigmas attached to them.

If anything any kind of piece of media that takes flak for being cartoony or too girly have stupid negative stigmas attached to them and that is why some fans get pissed (including me because I hate the ignorance over stereotypes, the OPs assumption that the game would be childish really irritates me). The fact that I am on the older spectrum of the Millenials (Which are commonly viewed in ignorance) do not help my help my opinion on some of these idiots either....

And FYI I am not a brony, I just know a lot of them .
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  17. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

It's no surprise that the art style for this game was going to turn some people away. It's an aesthetic choice. In fact, my co worker won't be playing for that very reason. He prefers the more realistic type stuff. That's his opinion.

The OP can have that same opinion, but his delivery of such, and on a Wildstar fan site no less, was an obvious troll. And, IMO, made HIM/HER seem more childish than the game.

I'm the opposite. I love the aesthetics of this game, the attitude, the silly and over the top humor. I get enough serious stuff IRL. I like my games to be fun, in an atmospheric sense (not trying to say the realistic/serious games aren't fun to play).
  18. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Unfortunately a lot of people do not realize that they might sound like a <REDACTED> or a troll in there OP and just deflect the blame onto others that call them out for it ''Its not my fault you guys are fanboys'' ''Its my opinion''.

You can have a opinion but presenting it as fact is a problem and acting like a <REDACTED> just because you ended up pissing people off by thinking your word is fact is flame war material.

I don't really sympathize for these type of detractors, there is a not hard to get line between what is constructive criticism or what are biased opinionated criticisms. Usually people who dislike the graphics are the latter....