1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why is it always the Heavy gear that looks epic?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by CaptainYoul, Jun 25, 2013.

1. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

In most MMOs ive played, light and medium gears always look similar, meanwhile the heavy armor is always the most epic/special from one tier to another.

I havent seen lot of "endgame" gear, but can anyone tell me if W* will have this problem

(once again sorry for mistakes, french canadian reporting in)
    SammyPo and Baamz like this.
  2. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Not sure - but they say customisation is important to them. We will have costume slots, a dye system as well.

Also Ive seen some pretty nice cloth and leather gear from gw2 and in wow as well.

But anyway, hopefully they will have something that you like!
    Vash and Trigger like this.
  3. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Perhaps because the heavy armor was always the more expensive and harder to obtain in history? You'd only see knights, nobles, lords, and the like in heavy plated armor. Even across the seas for Samurai (like your pic reinforcing what you think is cool :) ), you'd have to be of a higher class to obtain such more advanced armor.

Cloth (light) and leather (medium) never really accounted for much protection. And other than robe-like looks and trench coats, the appearances have never advanced much from there. Metal and more advanced armor really allow for the more out there look in structural integrity and intimidation.
  4. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Because there is only so much you can do with Cloth Armor to make it look interesting while it still looks like Cloth.

-Rachel-
    MrDreadful likes this.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Cloth to me but still i think it's awesome, can you imagine a Chua in a Mafia suit?
    [​IMG]

But pretty much this:
    There is only so much you can do with Cloth to still let it look like Cloth, if it's Cloth looking like Plate/Mail/Heavy armor, then why even bother having differences in naming?
    Sonntam likes this.
  6. Wormwood

Wormwood Cupcake

I think that we'll need to wait and see what Carbine comes up with, but with a more modern/sci-fi setting, I think that there will be many many more options for cloth armor, as well as medium style leather-esq armor.

I would like to see Cloth and Leather armor with more than a few armor plates of some sort = needs some sort of protection!
  7. Neurotic Cucpake

Neurotic Cucpake Cupcake-About-Town

Everyone has a different opinion of what is/looks "epic." I tend to favor the look of light/cloth armors in most of the games I"ve played, thinking the heavier/plate stuff looks kind of goofy.
    Huffle Puff, Apostate and Sonntam like this.
  8. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Just a thought but there was a website we used to use on GW2 to help make transmog sets, it was this here, select human and then go to light or medium, just for some examples of stuff that can be done with light or medium armour. To be honest i think GW2 did quite well with armour appearances.
    Yinello and MrDreadful like this.
  9. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

I love nice not too bulky heavy armor, something that looks like plate but doesnt make me a fortress. However, I am legitimately jealous of some of the Spellslinger cloth armor, like Buck on the side of the site here. I'm really liking the look of all of the armors in the game, except maybe medium but I haven't seen much medium.

So I can say without much doubt that the armors will look awesome, but that depends on your personal opinion more than mine. My only hope is that not all of the endgame plate armor is bone skull death armor.
  10. celestria

celestria Cupcake

It's all personal taste. I have always loved dress-like cloth, though never play clothie classes myself :(
  11. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

static metal armor is easier to make epic .... cloth just droops too much ... pretty often just ends up looking like really saggy boobs ...
  12. Painguin

Painguin Cupcake

I actually kind of agree with this, but I have seen it mostly in Guild Wars 2. But, this is a really nice looking cloth set from wow.
    [​IMG]
    Yinello and Sapien like this.
  13. Xemma

Xemma New Cupcake

Part of the problem is that for some reason MMO devs seem to have a phobia for including leathery and metally pieces on light armor and metally and canvas pieces on medium armor, while heavy armor tends to have plenty of canvas and leather in them.

But what I've learned is that mixing and matching skins from different sets always looks more epic than just wearing a full set of this or that. So while the full heavy set might look more epic than the full medium or light set, changes are you can mix and match the light and medium to look far more epic than any heavy mix. This assuming WS will have transmutation/transmorg.

There's also this other problem of light armor pants being extremely rare thing. I do seriously hope Wildstar will have some decent light pant options!
    CaptainYoul and MrDreadful like this.
  14. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

Seriously, this. Just because I happened to roll a light armor class doesn't always mean I need to be wearing a dress.
  15. Isil

Isil Cupcake

The best looking armor-set I have ever encountered in an MMORPG was medium armor (and no not because my main was a shaman :p)

[​IMG]

But I agree that its often the heavy armor that gets the love, personally I think designers have to break the mold and make cloth/leather armor that incorporates metal aspects, like for instance the priest armor-set seen in an above post.

However it is quite possible to make leather look bad ass without metal case in point i bring thee MEDIEVAL BATMAN:​
    [​IMG]

Little to no metal in the that piece of wondrous craftsmanship :)
    Vash likes this.
  16. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

I would like two present to arguments.

1. Historically Warriors would make their armor as intimidating as possible to inflict fear on their enemies. Usually these people were at the front line and required heavy armor to take on the invading force. archers and such were usually at the back lines and didnt require such intimidation and oped for something practical to wear. its not supprising that this kinda thinking is embeded in how devs envision their armor.
    2. Its not actually always true. and it lies in the eyes of the beholder. There is plenty of examples in a fantasy setting where Mages or other cloth wielding characters had extravagant robes, shoulder pads, or masks to apparently infuse their magic ability.
  17. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

Don't know how it'll be in Wildstar but a lot of cloth armor in WoW are pretty epic, especially vanilla & tbc stuff.
    3 quick examples:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sapien and MrDreadful like this.
  18. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

I think for some the mindset is that heavy armor is the ultimate and light/medium is never going to be as extreme. I don't really agree with the notion, myself.
  19. Phyllo

Phyllo Cupcake

I remember seeing an Aurin Esper in a fully hooded cloak and I thought that was pretty badass. I look forward to see what Wildstar does with lighter armor especially in a sci-fi way.
    MrDreadful likes this.
  20. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

Spellslingers wear cloth, and the only stuff I've seen for them has been pants with a buttcape/trench coat thing going on. You can see one right on the side of the site here.