1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why is it always the Heavy gear that looks epic?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by CaptainYoul, Jun 25, 2013.

1. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

this so much +1, since when medium armor is synonym of leather only

medium armor means medium weight, a bit of metal wont make it heavy
    SammyPo likes this.
  2. Rizzalliss

Rizzalliss Cupcake

I see what you did there.
    Fishsticks, Xlugon Pyro and Mellkor like this.
  3. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

It is a very strange development in roleplaying games.

I mean, in reality, if I were a roguish character, I wouldn't want to wear any kind of armor because hardened leather would slow me down and make all kinds of creaking sounds while I sneaked around. Ordinary clothes also help you blend in with the majority of your victims and lets you walk around a city without raising any suspicions.

That said, there are plenty of examples of light and medium armor in MMOs that look amazing. Guild Wars 2 has numerous examples, such as these and these. They might not meet everyone's aesthetic, but you have to admit that they are pretty impressive.
  4. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

I've always liked leather armor the best.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  5. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

I actually don't like the look of most "epic" armors in the assorted MMO's. I find I'm usually drawn to the mid-level gear, that often looks like real armor (as opposed to that whatever the new characters wear) but hasn't yet the shoulder pads that will put out your neighbors eye.

I also tend to prefer the medium and light armors for the same reason, they don't usually look so ridiculous. That said, they could certainly expand the variations of armor. Light armor can be leather, or a metal studded/banded type, or even a light chain shirt. Medium should be your heavier chain shirts, scale mail, or perhaps even a breastplate. Heavy is then of course your big plate mails and such.
  6. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Really hoping medium armor gets some major loving, what we've seen, looks all good and cartoony, but really hoping to get some well loved designs.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Heavy metal is the best metal.
    CaptainYoul, Apostate and azmundai like this.
  8. Artefact

Artefact Cupcake

I also hope there will be great epic gear for light and medium armors *dreams of his awesome spellslinger*
  9. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

I've never understand that fad, either.

The one argument developers love to use that never made sense to me is that they assume players have to look ridiculous (namely with the goofy and wholly useless shoulder armors) because it "defines the look" of the game. WoW is notorious for that line of thinking (nevermind that they have *tons* of NPCs without any shoulder armor; go figure), but it shows up quite often in other games. But, uhm, that's what NPCs are for. Make them look exactly how you want them to look and set the tone for the world. That's their entire point in being.

That said, my one, biggest hope is that the art team pays attention to the single most important aspect of player armors: What it looks like from behind. That's what the players will be seeing 100% of the time for their own characters, and it needs to not annoy the bajeevus out of people. One thing I hate in WoW, using it as an example again, is how awful the back of most helmets look. Particularly the exposed necks. Nevermind the god-awfulness of what MMOs call "cloaks."
    Neurotic Cucpake likes this.
  10. Sleggefett

Sleggefett New Cupcake

Leathergear never looked good?
    Let's agree to disagree.
    [​IMG]
    Xalon likes this.
  11. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

I liked the bloodfang armor, some of the "busy" leather armor looks nice too.[​IMG]
    Xalon likes this.
  12. Grimnar40k

Grimnar40k Cupcake-About-Town

If it makes you feel better, just from the released gameplay videos so far to date I have seen a lot of "non cloth" looking armor on classes such as Esper even with metal shoulders and arm guards and boots. Then you have the Stalkers who are medium who sure don't look like they're wearing leather so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember this game is Light / Medium / Heavy so they're not bound to the whole Cloth / Leather / Mail / Plate that most people are used to.
    Rek and Kataryna like this.
  13. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

yep after watching the aiming video, i was pretty impressed by the quality of cloth and leather armor and im sure it wasnt 100% endgame gear
    SammyPo likes this.
  14. Grimnar40k

See you did it anyway lol.... WoW has implanted itself too deep into your mind! =)

Light / Medium / Heavy
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Because cloth and leather are armor types exclusive to WoW.
    ArdentSun likes this.
  16. Infraynor

Infraynor New Cupcake

A point to think about is also that why is it the mages have all the cool looking abilities and warriors have glorified sword slashes. It works both ways. Though quite often cloth and leather does look pretty damn awesome
  17. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Your really taking exampled from WoW? one of the mmos with the ugliest armors? lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

WoW had really cool gear in classic and tbc.

Since wotlk, the items looked horrible. Dark and "plastic"
  19. Ashardalon

Ashardalon New Cupcake

I agree. I love heavy armour, and is sometimes the reason I will play the class wearing it. I do like big weapon-swinging classes too, but they're not always my favourite. Guild Wars 2, aside from it being boring, did armour right, making it all look pretty awesome.
  20. Grimnar40k

cause common sense says magic is way more flashy than martial weapon skills? seems obvious to me, I don't know