1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why is Wildstar not using a loot system like Guild Wars 2 did?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by DKNS, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKNS

DKNS New Cupcake

All the posts i have seen, seem to point towards the usual Need-Greed system. So why Wildstar, a game taking the best from most MMOs, not using the system which made GW2 so friendly and made the community be helpful to each other. Whenever you are out there fighting in the game, most people would randomly stop to help you. In most of the other MMOs people just ignore you and move along in addition to the grieving, etc. caused by the loot system. The system in GW2 just worked so well and everyone would be happy after a dungeon run not just the ones who rolled big on the loot. There would never be any frustrations caused by griefers from dungeon runs in GW2 as well.

I would honestly like the devs to reconsider this if they can. If you guys feel like i am wrong or that there are actually any benefits of the age old loot system, discuss it below please.
  2. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Because it will actually have meaningful PvE based on a progression system and therefor needs a controlled and limited amount of loot per kill available to keep progression interesting.

Its itemization system also allows for better hands outs within guilds. Or in other words GW2 has tailored everything to fit to an unorganized setup of players PvE wise at least, WS is doing everything to fit an organized group of players.

Therefor not the best system as it doesn't fit the design mantra here.
    Malorak, Witless, Feryo and 13 others like this.
  3. DKNS

DKNS New Cupcake

There can be other ways to control loot. I would actually even prefer RNG over someone stealing the loot from me.
  4. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

You can't steal loot in a Need for greed system when setup correctly.
  5. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

if you can need or greed on an item it isnt stealing .
    Jabberwocky and Kataryna like this.
  6. sidhia

sidhia Cupcake

What is the GW2 set up and the system being used by Wildstar?
    Tribe likes this.
  7. DKNS

DKNS New Cupcake

People especially pugs NEED on Loot not needed by them all the time (for alts, etc.). Some just do it to sell it. That is stealing. You take something which didn't belong to you.

GW2 used a system where everyone who contributed upto a decent level in the fight got loot and exp off anything in the game. That made the game so much more lively, especially in places like Orr. Unknown people would help each other against Champions and World bosses because everyone would benefit from it. The game had one of the best and most lively communities along with a true MMO feel and i feel this system had a big contribution in it.

Wildstar according to current speculations will be using the traditional Need/Greed system.
  8. effervescent

effervescent New Cupcake

It doesn't belong to you, either, until it's in your bags. Beating you on a roll isn't stealing.
  9. DKNS

DKNS New Cupcake

Wait so people in this thread are actually suggesting that it's ok when a player goes NEED when he doesn't need it for his character and it's not stealing just because it's not in my bag? Wow, big disappointment from you people here. Kindly, give me character names you are planning on using so i can ignore you Ninja'ers the first day. I am being completely serious here. I don't want my game to be ruined by people Ninja stealing the loot.
    FairyTailisBack and oppi26 like this.
  10. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

I suspect that the system will be a smart need/greed system Ie. A warrior cannot need on a Spellslingers pistols. Also if you have groups where someone needs on stuff to a unfair degree, black list them. sooner or later they will be unable to run content.
  11. effervescent

effervescent New Cupcake

You realize any drops worth rolling need on are BOP, right? (and in WOW, BOE loot became BOP if you rolled need on it, so the point applies even to rare drops) Did you actually ever ask people why they rolled on stuff? Could it be that they actually planned to use it?

There's always the possibility of people rolling to vendor, but honestly I didn't see that happen too much in LFG (LFR is another matter), which isn't to say it didn't happen, but it was hardly rampant.
    Sonntam, Leiloni and FairyTailisBack like this.
  12. sidhia

sidhia Cupcake

Oh that sucks. Personally i like the wow LFR loot system. No need/greed you just get loot or don't get loot. Why go back to having loot councils and trying to sort out who benefits most etc? Save the drama and hassle and just use the LFR system. Please. The same with helping with mobs.
  13. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

WoW took care of needing on BoE items very simply, They made the item bound to the character if needed on to sell on the AH or transfer to an alt.

And stop being such a drama queen that your idea is not getting much support. It is also is not ninja'ing by any official CoC and i've been a GM before but even besides that Ninja Looting Blizzard Stance and that is basically the industry standard regards to what falls under ninja looting and what doesn't.

In the open world they do seem to go towards a more public quest looting system as seen in WAR, GW etc unless that was aimed at only quest items but for dungeons and raids it won't be used there.
    Leiloni likes this.
  14. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Seeing you asked so nicely, Because us mature people can actually deal with it.
    Rarely had loot drama in guilds and those who caused drama generally are still crying day and night about RNG chances.

Because we want to gear up people correctly and give incentives to those who deserve it more or put more time in, because we don't want people to get loot set to them individually that they can't trade creating situations were the game RNG's system is detrimental to the groups progression due to the same players receiving the majority of the loot.

Babysitting system are not needed in any decent guild, we went on fine for years before any of those systems came into place and even now they are made for random players not for organized players and Blizzard is even looking for that reason and changing how loot is done in Flex raiding on players request and feedback.
  15. oppi26

oppi26 Cupcake

I'm learning this a lot today. This is just disheartening.
    Guys, seriously, if you are not filling a role in a dungeon don't roll on gear that's not for your role.
    This is why I love this statement:
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I don't see it happening unless the "ninjaer" only ever wants a trash drop or the drop off the very first boss in the dungeon, not to mention being blacklisted on his server after doing it a few times.
    Kataryna likes this.
  17. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

all they have to do is make it so when loot drops the class that can use it can roll need and the rest can roll greed. if the class that can use it rolls need it turns into a bop item. otherwise it is a boe item everyone can sell on the ah or whatever.
    Extatica likes this.
  18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Exactly and to make it even easier for peeps to understand.
    The NEED/GREED can be done (as people above have said) correctly like this:

1. Each class can only carry 1 weapon those people can only need on that weapon!

2. Each class can only wear 1 armor type (heavy, medium, light) and can only need on that they can use.

3. In Raid class gear (Tier) will drop, only that class can need on it.

Now if they implement 2 buttons: (Mayby 1 more to get the chips out of it? but i'll put that into greed for now)
    NEED
    GREED (this is for if you want the costume or some kind of disenchant/get those chips out if it)

What's wrong with this system?
    I don't see anything wrong with it.....hard to (what you call) ninja loot. And it's pretty fair to me.
    Ilieanna and Kataryna like this.
  19. oppi26

oppi26 Cupcake

Here's the problem: Spellslinger and Espers can use the same gear for healing. Meaning Healing gear can be ninjaed by a DPS.
    And depending on the other two classes armor, there may be even more into this mix. But for now, this is the only worry.
  20. Roda

Roda Cupcake-About-Town

Did we forget about The Plan™??
    (Not arguing the "can only need" thing, just the "can only wear 1 type" thing.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.