1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why only one path?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by nomotog, Mar 18, 2013.

1. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Did we ask this yet? Someone must have asked this before, but why can we only do one path? I know the point behind paths is to let the player tailor their playtime to the kind of content they want, but you don't need to lock people into one path to do that. Anyone know the reason?
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

possibly to make people need other people? so you can't do everything by yourself. you need to find that explorer to go into that cave so they can find the scientist stuff that you'll be getting.
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix Cupcake

I would think it's partially for simplicity sake and also to keep content even between players. I mean, if you take two paths your getting more content.

But the main reason is likely a bit of replayability. This way you'll have around 20% (IIRC) 'new' content if you roll a toon with a different path.
  4. ThePandason

ThePandason Cupcake

I'm wondering if you'll be able to drop the path you've selected (I'm assuming so) and what type of repercussions you'll receive for doing so.
  5. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

so far as we know they've said that your Path selection will be permanent, just like your Class and Race. though I'm guessing that eventually they'll offer a "Path Change" similar to WoW's race change.
    ThePandason likes this.
  6. ThePandason

ThePandason Cupcake

^thanks! I didn't realize that had already been stated. I find that pretty interesting, but still relieved at the same time.
  7. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Your Path also has it's own form of progression. Last we heard, you gain Path XP seperate from Class XP, and there are progression incentives for leveling your Path. This, in addition to path-specific quests and abilities are also part of why we only have one Path per toon. Choosing your Path is supposed to be equivalent to choosing your Race or Class, as it is done at character creation. Thus, only one of each. ;) It's a game mechanics thing.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  8. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

It also helps you define yourself within the community, I think.

One of the greatest things I love about MMOs is that I can say "I am this, and I do this." It's usually great if the amount of players who can say the exact same thing as you might be more specified... If you can say "I'm a Scientist Spellslinger," you're making yourself even more unique than that other Spellslinger who uses your same build, but is a Settler instead.

Over the years, there's been a lot more homogenizing of roles in these games. Now, while I'm all for giving players the ability to choose whatever they want to be, it gets a bit annoying when you don't have defined roles that set you apart from other players and also unite you to others too at the same time.

Paths let you say "I specialize in doing this and this on this character." It does all the things listed above. It adds replay value you to game, gives you another form of progression, lets you focus on your favorite "type" of gameplay first, and makes people depend on the other paths now and then as well.

I'm a player who likes to do ALL the things the paths mention in every MMO I play. I want to explore everywhere, I want to know all the lore, collect all the things, and kill all the mobs. I want to RP in quest hubs and create special things for my fellow gamers as well. I want to it ALL!

I don't however feel limited with the Path system. I can still do all that above on a Scientist. I'll just be getting extra "Scientist" rewards and incentives for doing so in this game, and that's cool to me. It allows me to focus and specialize, and also makes sure I might want to become friends or at least friendly acquaintances now and then with the other Path choices.

Having the extra content around later for a new playthrough doesn't hurt either, both for me to experience as a player on a new character, and for the developers who know how MMO players burn through content so fast too. ;)
  9. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

I like having a specialty, it makes choices more important, and makes alternate characters more exciting!(And necessary!)
  10. JCwildthing

JCwildthing Cupcake

I agree that the path system being a part of character creation adds to the incentive of playing alts. I am curious about how significantly we will rely on other players for their path contributions. I seem to remember one of the Mikes saying that the paths could add a bonus to your group but it wasn't necessary to have a certain number of soldiers and scientists in a group to be successful or to complete the task.
  11. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I just wanted to quote Patrician for TRUTH (and justice).

My biggest gripe with Guild Wars 2 was how homogenised a lot of stuff felt. The focus of a holy trinity (even if we can spec into different roles) in Wildstar combined with Paths means that we, as characters (it's an RPG after all ;)), stand out in our own ways. ^______^

It's one of the things I'm super-excited for! :D
    Patrician likes this.
  12. Monarc

Monarc Cupcake

I'm interested to see what endgame content exists for each path. I would assume some high-end stuff is available though path specific content, but you would need to utilize all paths (via other players) to obtain.

If that's the case allowing more than one path per character would debunk that concept, so that might be why only one path is available, just a guess.
  13. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Same reason with class and race. To grant replayability amongst different characters.
  14. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

These! ;)
  15. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

It get Forever Aloners to actually group with others?
  16. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

I think this is great. I'm no stranger to a few alts once my main is established. The grind leveling on alts through familiar content can feel more like work than play sometimes.

Having read what's available about these path choices, I never thought to ask why not 2, although it is an interesting question.

My impression was that these paths are not simply quest lines or access to certain content, but will be an integral part of your character's development and impact on endgame content.

Also, the idea that certain paths will need other paths in order to full/complete tasks is interesting...

"Group LF Healer that is also a scientist... PST!"
  17. Bellaby

Well I already am torn between Scientist and Explorer, and thus I am already planning to have at least two characters! Which is twice the time commitment, which of course means I'm playing the game more, which is exactly what the Devs want ^_^
  18. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Only two? Poser. ;)

As a dedicated altoholic, I plan to have at least 4 characters. If the rifleman/shaman classes are at all interesting, then the only hard part for me will be deciding which paths to double up on.

Granted, I'm having trouble right now deciding which Path/Class combos I want on each of my planned alts.
  19. Bellaby

I only like 2 of the released classes right now...If there's a Rifle class I'll try it! A Settler at that!