1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why Wildstar should not cater to the Casual Gamers?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Savina, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savina

Savina Cupcake

There is a reason why MM O's get boring to true raiders and gamers ,at least in my experience, I played WOW since Vanilla .It started great you leveled you learned how to use your character and it skills and talents . You joined a guild (which to this day I still play and maintain a friendships with ). You if lucky your guild had a great raiding team 40man raids were awesome, You earned your gear it may have taken a few months but you got that weapon that other players in game envied.You walked around Iron forge all pimped and epic(purple) up ,while the guy standing next to you bowed at you for being so Epic-ed out ! There was a hierarchy it kept people balanced. People stayed with there guilds no guild hopping , guild leaders communicated with there members keeping the balance , running instances with lower guilder's so that have at least t1 gear and looked good represented the guild in the right way.
    Then Blizzard decided that raiders were not good enough and casuals should be rewarded with the same stats and gear as Guilds.It destroyed the game , it made it to easy to get gear for people who only knew little about the principles of raiding .everyone had purples , everyone had what it took raiders months to earn they got with in days.What is the purpose of raiding if i can join a 10man &5man to get what someone had to earn and Waite for cause there was 4 other healers wanting for the same gear? I understand casuals want to raid i get it , but they should not have the same stats and purples, Blues for non 25man /40 man raids , Purples should be awarded to the guilds that work at the bosses that meet the challenges .
    So i say this to the Wildstar team! are you going to cuddle the casual are challenge the Raiders !
    Remember the raiders, they are focused and in most cases become attached to there guilds and Raid team pay there monthly dues not for 4 months til real life calls , Us raiders we do not use time cards we use credit cards.we play for years!! while your casual are just that game cards, and lack of attention to the game unless there bored at home until a friend tills them about a new game , game hoppers never stay long .

Which is it? i really would like to know how this game will be played ,I know i sound like a elitist ,but me and my guild we love it when our guild is one of 3 best guilds on a server , it is our goal to be server first ! :devilish::mad:
  2. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

This game is as much casual as it is hardcore.
    Solo dungeons aren't likely to be what I would call hard.
  3. Savina

Savina Cupcake

Not sure what you are calling Solo? The post in reference to how gear is awarded to casual's who do not put in the time and effort as raiders do and earn what should be absolute reward for raiders . and not be awarded to casuals, I do not care if they have a life, raiders have lives to how do you think we pay for our memberships.Raiders are more focused and love the endgame experience
  4. Wretched

Wretched Cupcake

Casual and Hardcore are not mutually exclusive. They seem to be working hard to give out content for the hardcore and to also make sure that the more casual players have things to do after max level.
  5. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

Here's why Carbine is making damn sure there is tons of stuff for casuals to do....

MONEY

Casuals pay the bills. Hardcore raiders/PvPers make up a tiny minority of gamers, and if a developer tries to cater to them exclusively, they make almost no money, and end up in the poorhouse. Sure WildStar has its hardcore 40 man stuff, but really, that's just scratching the surface of the game. So really, Carbine should totally cater to casuals, just not in all aspects in the game, but in most of them.

And yes, that was a reply to the topic, not the post itself. There is no way I (and the majority of other people) am going to read an entire post in italics. There's a reason why text is almost never published in all italics. It's crazy hard to read.
    Ianpact likes this.
  6. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

They do cater to casuals, they simply offer content that is challenging and something you'll roll into if you play enough.

There's just plenty of goals to aim for the hardcore crowd who want that ninche filled.
    Chrilin likes this.
  7. FairyTailisBack

Most games have 2 types of gameplay, each awarding gear.
    Raids
    PvP

WS has 3
    PvE - solo dungeons
    Raids
    PvP

Ideally, each set of gear will be preferable for that content.
    PvE gear > Raid gear for solo dungeons for instance.

That is casual game play, and they are going to be awarded gear only about 1 tier inferior to Raiders.
    Sound familiar? LFR & Welfare epics. The difference is it doesn't diminish & devalue raiding, and the gear is totally different. I hate awarding a whole set of welfare epics for little to no effort, so I hope the above is enough.
    Ianpact and Savina like this.
  8. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

Ianpact likes this.
  9. Savina

Savina Cupcake

Causal, players have killed the skill level of WOW (MMO), I was not referring to not letting causal players raid , just that they should not be getting the same gear stats and rare items as full time raiders.Keep casuals in blues while raiding 5 &10 mans , while 25 & 40 man raids get the really rare epic items .As far as bread and butter , ya casuals do not create that much , you know what happens to MMO that cater to causal FTP !because they are casual they end up on buy gold websites and buying gear from stores with in the game , like SWTOR and WOW.
    And they game hop,causal do not have the time to stick to one game, they play xbox/ ps3 etc.
    Summer time is the only real revenue months for online gaming , school months are low in attendance .But raiders ,are guilds who raid do not usually recruit members under 18yrs of age at least not my guild.and since there 18yrs of age we can schedule raids late in the evening .
    We raiders /hardcore , people are maybe a portion of the bucket but we are steady revenue for companies like carbine & blizzard.W.O.M is the best advertisement and when a raider introduces a game to others , we usually pull them in and they start playing .
    I just want to see the proper respect for raiding guilds and players with higher gear level then what i causal would get. Not trying to take the fun out of the game for them , just trying to make it fun for the raider again.
    Some kind of balance .

Ya and sry for the bad font was not paying attention to it .
  10. Savina

Savina Cupcake

-------
    Great example thanks Fairy , Welfare epics , lol i just want them casuals in blues..lol
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The Title of this thread is just <REDACTED>......

Not catering to casuals will destroy the game! But what does catering means?
    Does it mean casuals should have the same rewards as other kind of gamers? (aka raiders)
    No it doesn't mean that!!!

In WildStar Casuals WILL BE CATERED TO!!!! But it all depends on the way, how Carbine caters to them!

Will they do this trough having them acces to the same things as others? (nope)
    Or will they have things that casuals can achieve and raiders don't have to? (most likely this)

People tend to see ''Catering to casuals'' as a bad thing!
    It's not....to be honest it's the exact opposite! If a game does not cater to more then 1 group (raiders) it will almost for certain fail hard!

It's up to Carbine to determine HOW to cater to the casuals!

So i'll repeat myself:
  12. FairyTailisBack

Yah, that has worked great for them since WotLK hasn't it?
    Their average sub # has only went down to about nearly half.
  13. Warruz

Warruz Cupcake

Casual = Time Commitment

Hardcore = Style of play

You can be a Hardcore Casual aka someone who is serious when playing and likes a challenge but has limited time.
    Yinello, Sol, Milamilou and 9 others like this.
  14. FairyTailisBack

Someone is awful defensive...

You don't know what catering to casuals means?
    Look at every MMO post WoW for the answer.
    Except maybe Rift at launch.

"If a game does not cater to more then 1 group (raiders) it will almost for certain fail hard!"
    You mean like WoW? Because that is EXACTLY what they did.
  15. Savina

Savina Cupcake

--
    I get what there saying i think it failed at some point cause i also played all the expansions of wow , love that game but now i am so bored , and servers are dying every day , I am on a server Shadow-moon and it use to be high lvl .But since Panderia it has died .All the LFR has killed most guilds , my guild had to transfer for the 4th time due to low talent pool on server. I stayed, not wanting to spend another 25.00 on moving again. And i am waiting on wildstar.My husband still plays in a hardcore raiding guild and doing Hardmodes, which again is getting boring , but even there waiting on wildstar.Our entire guild of 50 members is waiting for wildstar , I actually went back to Swtor cause of boredom . I guess we are hard to entertain , lol
    Roguehandle likes this.
  16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I'm being defensive? .........i'm neither taking side for the casuals as for the hardcore...I rather take the side that makes this game a better thing! :p

Some casuals say: I want raiding things, don't cater to raiders but cater to us.
    And now you got a raider saying: Don't cater to casuals but cater to us.

It's all about arrogance for their own playstyle.......it's the problem that the gamers don't see what they are doing! Which is destroying a game (if a game does only cater to 1 group).

A game needs a good balance between catering all kind of different groups, so it all depends on HOW to cater to those groups.
    And this is where Blizzard made a grief mistake (in my opinion), they tried to cater to 1 group by making it ''almost'' the same as another group instead of providing something ''new'' for that group. This way they reduced it for both groups, instead of making it better for both.
  17. FairyTailisBack

Appealing to more people is great, but if it isn't done right then it can ruin the game.
    Milamilou and Savina like this.
  18. Savina

Savina Cupcake

** Sorry, i do not agree, Hardcore is not a style of play that is something only a causal would say**
    causal is just what it means,Someone who doe not commit to playing and logs on when they are bored are have nothing better to-do , are just loves the story line questing and achievements things that does not require a guild, a loner, A pvper.. that is what is considered a Causal .

Hardcore- Is someone who commits to raid schedule and gear and what they will need to know in reference to the Raids .Studies the strategy of every boss they fight that night, prepares for every raid night by gathering pots and bandages.Farms for rep and gold everyday doing dailies it takes a lot of gold to enchant your gear and spec correctly . Complete understanding of their Character (toon) if you are a healer you need to know which is the best spec for tank healer or raid healer. Someone who schedules there life around the game .

Yes m Hardcore is just that ! it is not a Style :)
    Injustice likes this.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Omg please stop typing :roflamo:

Let's have a talk when you've met some hardcore PvP'ers who can't wait for Warplots (The PvP version of 40man raiding).
    For them the orange part is just what they do aswell, grind for money for enchants and other stuff they can use in PvP. They have a complete understanding of their toons ASWELL as all the others! (not bosses but other toons for PvP). They know what specc to use when! They schedule their arena with their partners around their life. They will schedule their Warplot fights around their working schedule. They will try to min/max as much as they can, they try to have the best possible proffesions at max level, often change them to be better then the others. They do everything to be the best!
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

Saying a PvP'er = a casual (completely discarding any hardcore PvP'ers)
    is just a stupid thing to say....I do hope you can see that......if not....:cry:
  20. Mukesh

Mukesh Cupcake

For at least this generation of gamers, you can't live in a pre-WoW world. To not offer casual gameplay is suicide. WoW introduced the idea of rewarding casuals with gear and content. If you do not offer the same, casuals will not play your game and you will fail.

I was world 2nd Paladin Grand Marshal and a gladiator in seasons 1-3. I also lead a guild that downed C'thun and KT in Vanilla and everything through TBC. But then I got married and started a family. My time is now casual, but I am still an outstanding player. Skill and time commitment do not necessarily equal a direct causal relationship.

Wildstar's base mechanics are much tougher than WoW, so they are aiming at providing content to casuals and soloers, while maintaining a higher gameplay awareness and ability.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.