1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why Wildstar should not cater to the Casual Gamers?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Savina, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Now I'm thinking the trolls are setting up the trolls, you know how those "random" audience members set up the late night "as seen on TV" guys.

ya, like that.
  2. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

It can be, depends on the game. The ones in which it truly is easy, people complain that it's too easy. If the content is too hard, people just quit.

If that's the sort of thing you'd like to devote yourself to, maybe.Really I think those are just bad games. Games should be about having fun with your abilities, not rote memorization and repetition of established mechanics. That's just Battletoads "challenge."
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Like Gw2 right?
    Milamilou likes this.
  4. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

"Like GW2" what? I'm not exactly sure while clause you're addressing.
  5. Livnthedream

I was addressing the entire post. You keep making grand sweeping generalizations "my game", "those games are bad" etc when there is clear evidence to the contrary. By your reasoning Super Mario Brothers was a terrible game. Castlevania. Rock Band. I can go on. That is absurd.
    Kash and Milamilou like this.
  6. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I didn't say "my game," I don't really have one.

That would be, if it had any relation to what I was talking about.
  7. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Wow...just, wow.

Only got half-way through reading this thread, but the amount of "holier-than-thou" is quite staggering
    Lokno and Carebear Commander like this.
  8. Brynnevere

Brynnevere Cupcake

Time killed WoW for me more than anything else, especially "coddling." I had better times in it than any other mmo I've played so far, and my best times were raiding in WotLK. After Wrath I just didn't have the drive to keep going. I bought Cataclysm and genuinely enjoyed the new dungeon designs, but I just didn't feel the pull anymore. I didn't even bother buying Panderia.

Now I'll admit the raid finder sounds just stupid, but I actually really enjoyed the Wrath style raids in either 10 or 25 man forms. I did 25-mans with my first guild because it was expected, but I never actually found them any more difficult than the 10-mans, just more frustrating. My best memories were in 10-man Ulduar both at launch then later going for hard-modes, and that's because I was playing with a great group of friends. Doing 25-mans always felt more like work than hanging out playing a game with friends. And honestly, I remember spending most of the time just waiting around waiting for everyone to get their <REDACTED> together.

I still get pangs for WoW occasionally, but now it's almost 10 years old. I not willing to keep paying $15 just out of nostalgia. I tried SWTOR but found myself wishing it was just a single-player game. Then GW2 had a great world, but the group content just feels hollow with no roles. I'm so hoping WildStar can capture my interest. I'm even willing to give 20-mans a shot if I can find a good group to play with. Doubt I'll be trying the 40s though.
    Roadblock likes this.
  9. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> Quit the bickering and page long quote arguments guys. They're pointless and unreadable. </Mod Face>
  10. Jinzouningen

Jinzouningen Cupcake

So this may not be the thread to say this but after reading this comment it seems to fit. I'm not sure how theyre doing beta ivites (or if theyre actually doing any new ones) but I followed their Gamescon and Pax trips via twitter and there was all this buzz going on and super active tweeting.

That being said...i've been away from Wow for a good while. I popped my head in at the beginning of the yr to see what was up and i ran back out. I looked again a few weeks ago after seeing the SoO trailer and ive been playing full speed ever since.

In another forum i was against a claim someone made about Wow's updates and Xpac (coming next yr) being competition for Wildstar. So far ive had to eat my words. I railed against Wow and swore never to return and bad mouthed it for a long time now and all of a sudden not only am I back playing it fulltime but players and old guildies who had also swore off Wow are back.

I just watched my med to light PVE realm go to med to high and mostly high and the PVP realm i play on doesnt seem to ever go below high now. Ive seen guilds who I thought were dead come back to their previous full strength and thats even before the new supply of players we get from the realm merges.

I get that they pushed the release of the game back for really good reasons, thats to be expected, but I think they may make a mistake by not taking advantage of buzz and warranted hype. What Brynnevere said about "pangs for Wow" is a real issue and at this point i'm gonna have to concede that Wow is still an obstacle and competition especially now.

If i were just speaking for myself meh i wouldnt have posted this, but ive never seen Wow rebound this much in this short amount of time.
  11. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

You were arguing that people just cannot get past a certain point because of their skill. My point is that skill can be improved, and that the natural talent (reflexes, intelligence, memory) requirement is low in an MMORPG.

They aren't bad games, they are just games that you don't like. If all you want to do is have fun with your abilities, you will be able to do that in Wildstar, just don't be expected to be rewarded the same as those that devote themselves to improving themselves to beat difficult content.
  12. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

As I said, it depends on the game, and those at which the natural talent requirement is low, people complain that it isn't "hardcore" enough.

Why not? Why should playing the way they enjoy be more rewarding than playing the way others enjoy? Why not let everyone play how they enjoy, and (within reason) reward them equally for enjoying the game? There seems to be this sort of entitlement amongst the hardcore playerbase, "I enjoy difficult content, therefore I deserve bonus candy!"
  13. Tyrannis

Tyrannis New Cupcake

Organizing 40 man raids and beating the hardest content in the game deserves the best rewards for that effort, its a very hard thing just too get 40 players working together cohesively in the first place. Being the best pvp player deserves the best pvp gear. If you can commit the time and effort you should get rewarded for it.

There will be plenty of things for casual players to to do and I am pretty sure most will not care if the top end players get the best gear. The devs are making the game with hardcore player in mind and giving them a incentive to invest playtime into their game.
  14. Ash

Ash New Cupcake

I think WildStar seems more single player and after hours you can be bored...
  15. Tonks

Tonks Cupcake

To the current discussion around content and how accessible it and its rewards should be:

This is really a non issue. As a game ages and new content becomes old, it naturally becomes easier as higher gear levels become easier to obtain through addition of new accessible content or nerfing of old content. So how about we leave content challenging instead of giving everyone first place ribbons just for showing up as some such as Ohoni would suggest and let people attempt to complete this content. Those wanting the rewards from completing this content but simply can't right now as they lack the requisite skill required can wait until this content becomes old and easier. Now everyone can get their rewards of gear, skins or story and no new game systems are added or old ones modified. This is a natural occurance in every MMO and Gortok himself commented on this very subject on this very forum (might have even been linked earlier in the thread).

Bonus content!

This is just stupid and the complete opposite of how every aspect of society actually works. Generally if you are the best at something or know or make something exclusively or just are generally more skilled than your peers, you are rewarded more highly for it. I can't play sports at a pro level, so i don't get sponsorships. I can't operate on someone, so i don't get paid the big bucks from medicine. I can't act so i'm not invited to celebrity parties in hollywood.

If someone downs some hard piece of content in a raid or a solo instance, why are they not entitled to nicer rewards or exclusive ones especially in the context of a virtual world? Your arguments thus far have been "because i said so" with nothing to back it up. Actually, that's pretty much been all of your arguments.
    Milamilou, Livnthedream and elnerdino like this.
  16. Livnthedream

Based on what exactly?
  17. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

But you don't get any rewards for organizing a 40-man raid, you just get rewards for being part of one. That doesn't take any special effort, it just means that you have the time and interest to show up and do your role. I don't see participating in a raid as being deserving of any special reward, it's just something that has become pointlessly traditional. If people want to raid, let them raid. If people don't want to raid, don't bribe them into it.

If people want rewards for beating the hardest content, give them titles that they can show off to the few people that care, but don't lock out useful or interesting gear from players just because they don't enjoy that sort of thing.

Yup, life isn't fair. But this isn't life, this is a game, and there's no compelling reason why a game can't be fair.

Ok, fair enough. My basic position is based on the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people. If you don't believe that's a valid basis, then what argument do you have for isolating rewards for players unable or unwilling to do various types of content, beyond "because I say so?"
  18. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Actually, it's the person who is most devious that is more highly rewarded. Management positions around the world are filled with people who are incapable of actually performing the tasks the people they manage do. Those that can, do. Those that can't, go into management and make more money.
  19. Grytswyrm

Grytswyrm Cupcake

What is within reason to you? Are you saying that there shouldn't be a reward discrepancy or there should be? It appears as if you are taking both sides.
  20. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Check up thread a bit. Some distinction makes sense, based on the time it takes to do one type of content over another, but it should only be in the quantity of rewards, not the quality. Harder (and therefore more time consuming) activities can offer more rewards, but not better rewards, and completing the easier content several times should give you the same rewards as completing the harder content a fewer amount of times. There should be no content that is impossible to get except through difficult/time-consuming content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.