1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wildstar acronym

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Extatica, Mar 24, 2013.

?

Which one do you like the most as the acronym of Wildstar?

1. WS

200 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. W*

71 vote(s)
    26.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Dominion? I'd suggest getting your eyes checked cos that thing in my Sig? Is no dominion.

Also my point still stands W and S are right next to eachother on a keyboard, without having to shift modify or go for a key on the other side of the board. If you have problems understanding WS as Wildstar then that's personal issues, not the problem of the one who writes WS.

Those who like W* are honestly just trying to "set a trend" as you and others have said it's "cool" and "unique". But kind of in the same way digimon were "cool" and "unique", no matter how many people insisted they were the best most people cared more for their tamagochi.
    Kataryna likes this.
  2. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Wow, you are serious (I would be too, if accused of being a dominion ;) ). Go lazy and write your WS and sniff flowers. As a Granok and a mercenary I'm not afraid of a hard work, so I'm going to continue typing W*. So say we all!
  3. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Looking at racial stereotypes to decide who does most work now? Granok are known for sitting around drinking beer, aurin are known for being caretakers to an entire planet, your logic is flawed.

Its ok you be the kid in the corner tryna find someone to battle with your digimon while we all converse about our tamagochi and its life.
  4. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

So say you. Don't lump everyone into this.

Please, for the love of ..whatever, I don't care.... PLEASE stop using W* for an acronym.

Or atleast, read my post why you shouldn't use it.
    Nayukhuut`Chet and BonusStage like this.
  5. Nhtst_Sev

Nhtst_Sev New Cupcake

Wasterix all the way. The arguments for and against either selection are... Questionable at best. If you're a fan of WildStar and can't decipher W*, I really don't have much to say that won't come across negatively. Just the same WS should be equally decipherable here on the forums. Just use your context clues people, and stop trying to tell each other how to live. That wasn't the purpose of the thread at all.
    Gronky likes this.
  6. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

WS all the way for me. W* just makes me cringe. It's like an 8 year old went out and decided it would be cool.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  7. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

People are more accustomed to deciphering acronyms in forms of several letters. No one will bat an eyelash at WoW or SWtOR. But as soon as symbols appear, that were not previously there in the letter, people get confused.

When I first saw W*, I considered that the second letter was blacked out for some reason. Then I thought that perhaps it was to be read as Wasterisk. Only a week later it finally dawned on me that this meant to be a... star.

Why a bloody star? This is a <REDACTED> asterisk, for God's sake! SWtOR players would be equally confused by SW2OR, because the change makes zero sense. It actually requires you to do more keystrokes than less.

When one sees WS on a Wildstar forum one will barely even need time to decipher that. But that stupid W* needs quite a stretch of imagination for one to understand it properly.

And while one could argue that it's more unambiguous... this thread shows that I'm not the only one unhappy with this acronym. It's confusing, takes up a few seconds more to type down and looks silly.

I'm all up for WS.
    Nayukhuut`Chet likes this.
  8. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

What planet? :p

I can't wait to see a server name W*FtW or W*Forever. I also don't care about reason. I don't like WS, so either somebody find something cooler than W* or I'll use it forever (or maybe until Carbine tell us what to use :p)
  9. vicksen

vicksen Cupcake

I personally prefer W*, because (and this has likely already been mentioned in this thread but it severely bears repeating) WS has a more nefarious meaning. Srsly, google it w/ safesearch off...

Edit: OMG, I just read through the entire thread and NO ONE Mentioned it? Seriously..it has to be W*. ws = watersports, which I will not go into details about. Google - safesearch will teach all that must be known...nsfw.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

It's out.....yet I get ALOT of shoes with the name WS + some shops + SoftWare with the name WS + alot of army missle launchers, but no 18+ things or nefarious things.

Your name on the on the contrary.....loads of 18+ stuff + polar-bears :confused:

And not to speak of W* in google......worst pictures ever!!!!

So I think google has remembered some of your previous ''searches'' and tries to combine them :p
    vicksen likes this.
  11. vicksen

vicksen Cupcake

^the clever one found me out.
  12. Roland Daemon

Zap was talking to us in IRC the other day. The other reason Carbine stopped using W* at all was because twitter didn't like using * for hashtags.

So that's why we have WSUplink and all the other things.

I don't care. I hate WoW but I still use it cause it makes sense and people know what i'm talking about. If you actually read my post, using W* makes us look like clever <REDACTED>s.

I for one would like to see this community applauded for being awesome, not <REDACTED>s. Type out Wildstar if you don't like WS at the very least. It's not like typing Wildstar takes more than 5 seconds (and if it does... for the love of god, take a keyboarding class)
    Sonntam likes this.
  13. Nhtst_Sev

Nhtst_Sev New Cupcake

For a community so obsessed with using "<REDACTED>" people sure are afraid of an asterisk. The unspeakable horrors of 1 word swears and such.

I get that it's not best used at all times and in all formats. What I don't get, is how people actually believe that they're going to be able to stop other's from typing W*.

Also, the key stroke idea... Anyone who spends a lot of time using a computer has no problems typing an "*", I failed keyboarding in High School and still manage.
  14. Roland Daemon

...It shouldn't be used at all. I don't have any physical way of stopping people either, but I want to know that the people who do use W* after reading the post in the quote are people I can just ignore because they can't comprehend why it's such a bad thing to use...
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The <REDACTED> stuff came so that people couldn't link NDA stuff or links to NDA breaching site's etc.

Even some words got <REDACTED> by the forum rules. So that's why the people started using it.

The site DOES NOT changed WS to W + that ugly asterisk.
    Neither have we ever seen Carbine use W + that ugly asterisk, but we have seen them use WS (in articles/video's or posts by Carbine staff).
  16. Nhtst_Sev

Nhtst_Sev New Cupcake

Roland, I already read your post, and I'm not too phased by it. You had a bad experience, but you really couldn't do much once you've made your choice since it how you identified yourselves period. WildStar however can be called... WildStar, or WS, or WSO, or yes, W*. If not for everyone's ridiculous amount of anxiety due to not having a release, beta key, or other things to occupy ourselves with, something as simple as a preference for an acronym is turning into much more than it ought to. If I feel like typing W*, I'm probably going to. If someone doesn't understand it, I've typed enough in my life to explain it with full text, I'm not so bothered by typing that I can't simply type out WildStar, WS, WSO, or W*. Really, it depends on how I feel in the moment. The numbers in the poll are clear, but I'm still going to use Wasterisk, mostly because I find it to be fun in multiple ways.
  17. Crybone

Crybone Cupcake-About-Town

What about WIST :eek:
  18. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Type in WS in the Urban Dictionary and see what is #1 (I pointed this out in an earlier post in this thread.).

I’ve already stated why I like W* in this thread, and I’m going to continue to use it in this forum.
  19. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

As I stated before. I absolutely abhor the W* acronym, however, why are we arguing which is best when it essentially boils down to a personal choice? Just because I like one or the other doesn't mean another person will. Let each use the acronym they prefer, and I don't just say that because my preferred way is winning. :p
  20. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

Arboria, though you likely already knew that. Just because it's in Dominion control now doesn't mean we didn't care fro it for centuries/millennia before then. :p Though we're short on a plant now... we'll just have to make due with nexus still we can kick those stinky Dominion out... But I digress.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.