1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar Classes vs World of Warcraft Classes

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Rodrak, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Rodrak

Rodrak New Cupcake

Hello!

Relatively new to WS Central Forums so don't rip me into two. Also good to note that this is not a negative post against Carbine Studios or Blizzard, just comparisons.

So I've been into WS since June? Yeah I think June. And this past week I went and showed the game to my friend who really only does PvP (assuming he would like the game). He had good first impressions, however when he was looking over the Classes and Races his first and most important question for him was how the WS Classes compared to WoW. By this he meant, "Does Warrior=Unholy Death Knight" I have not played the Beta, or game, yet so all I told him was from my knowledge of the stream and DevSpeaks.

In Short these are what I told him their equivalents were. (Did not go into the new 2 Classes)

WS Warrior= WoW Warrior
    Esper= Shadow Priest (With a more Healing objective)
    SpellSlinger= Mistweaver Monk/Restoration Shaman/Mage
    Stalker=Assassination/Combat Rogue

What are your opinions of the WoW Equivalents? (Either of Mine or you can share if you have your own.)
    These are just what I had the impression of from the knowledge of the classes, perhaps with the input of many other forum members could come together and generate a collective idea of this thought

--Rodrak--
  2. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

The problem with comparing them is in WoW you had hybrid classes and pure classes or classes with a pure role, here all classes have the option to function as a hybrid. Creating a much greater overlap.

Mechanic wise it's hard to say.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Kinda comparing apples with oranges:
    [​IMG]

Mechanic-wise even the warrior/warrior are too different ;)
    Most important question was about a comparison to WoW?!?!?! :eek:

Strange first and most important question tbh....just tell him they are different and he should just sign up for the Beta! :D
  4. TheHidden01

TheHidden01 Cupcake

As said it's very hard to compare, best comparison is probably GW2 but even that seems vastly different.

There are not enough games out currently with this combat system to really compare it too, which is a good thing imo.

One thing I can say is WS Warrior is nothing like WoW's, if anything it's more like Paladin in the similar resource system, but that's really the only comparison.

TH
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

And the pull towards you is more like the DK ability :D + they have a handgun which is more like a whole different game ;)

I think all classes will have atleast ''some abilities'' as other classes in other games....but it's too hard :coffee:
  6. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

WoW has a completely different design philosophy than Carbine, particularly where WoW has pure DPS classes, classes with DPS and a Support role, and classes that can do all 3 parts of the trinity, where WildStar classes all have one DPS option and one Support option (heal or tank).
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Our warrior definitely looks a lot like WoW's warrior and stalkers look similar to WoW rogues, but those're the only close comparisons you can make and there's still notable differences even then.

Espers look like they're a mix of shaman, arcane mage, warlock, and maybe caster druid. They're such an amalgamation of different bits that they can't be effectively compared with another WoW class. They're unique.

Spellslingers look like they're a mix of mage, hunter, and shaman but again are too mixed and varied. They're unique.

The final two classes will very likely also be unique as well.

The best kind of cross-game class comparison you can make is what kind of DPS/tanking/healing do you want to do. Melee, ranged, bursty, sustained, DoTs/HoTs, AoE, mitigation tank, evasion tank, etc.

If he wants to play something like an unholy DK in WildStar, his best bet is the warrior. Medic and engineer are long maybes as is the esper. If he's still trying to find WildStar's DK by then, I think it's safe to say that he is not ready to leave WoW yet. He has the wrong perspective about switching MMOs.
    Sarpadon likes this.
  8. Jaxxa

Jaxxa Cupcake

First off, I want to applaud your use of good vocabulary! Second...I agree, Wildstar classes can be related loosely to WoW if you wanted to get a general bearing for the combat style. You can't really go past a general associate because each WS class is a diverse merging of styles.

Check the website and forums and catch the upcoming videos to get a better grasp of class playstyle.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I get where he's coming from because i loved the enhance sham from WoW but there's obviously nothing like it in WildStar. I'll have to find a close-combat, berserker-style melee caster class and play that in WildStar.
  10. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

I have to say I don't really care!

WoW has never interested me much, it is well made, sure, but WoW is not the mother of all MMOs, it is merely a successful one.

I don't think any Developer should compare his/her classes with WoWs, and neither should I. WildStar's classes are incomparable with WoWs simply because WildStar's gameplay, and therefore balance and skillsets, are totally different from WoW's. WoW is a relatively skill-deprived point and click, TAB-targeting faceroll MMORPG, and WildStar is an action/movement/aiming based MMO. It's hard to compare!
    Tribe and Mellkor like this.
  11. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

There is no comparison.
  12. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

I might be the only one who thinks stalkers are like feral druids, between stalking prey being a more animalistic thing and the stealth dps/tank aspect helps.
    Talksin likes this.
  13. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

I think it's better to think in terms of roles because as has already been pointed out even with more direct analogy classes your going to get differences let along trying to compare specific specs.

Wild* Warriors: Will play a bit like WoW Warriors, DKs and Pallies (Sans Holy Spec) they are a heavy armour primarily melee DPS class that can Tank.

Wild* Espers: Will play a bit like WoW Priests, Mages (except they can heal), Warlocks (except they can heal and have no perma pets).

Wild* Spellslingers: Much the same as Espers but a bit more Mage becuase of the mobility and throw in a bit of Hunter without the pet.

Wild* Stalkers: Rogue is a fairly obvious analogy but mechanically a Feral Druid lacking any of the Balance/Resto spells is probably closer.

As for the other two well.......

From what I've seen which could very well be very wrong...

Wild* Engineers: Hunters if they could tank and the pet wasn't quite as integral to the class. Elemental Shaman without access to Resto spells.

Wild* Medics: Resto/Elemental Shaman, Holy Pallies if they could do viable dps.
  14. Tiiria

Tiiria Cupcake

Nobody really compares any of them to holy/disc priests. Even resto druids. Everyone keeps acting like all the heals are resto shaman type. Probably not. We just don't know exactly how they'll be yet. But I'm sure there will be some resto druid and healing priest thrown in there on the classes that can do healing.

I'd agree that stalkers seem to be more feral druid than straight up rogue, though.

But, yeah, very hard to compare, they're very different games. Supposedly they'll all be equally balanced, but I still expect a few slip-ups in that, as with any game. Doubt there will be anything outright OP/UP though.
  15. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

I'm either going to be Stalker or Slinger. Hmmmmmm.... Which should I pick? I'm always a rogue in any fantasy MMO including Wow for years. In SWTOR I chose Slinger and had fun with it. Despite the rogue thing, I actually prefer straight ranged DPS now days. I suppose that would be Slinger then as the obvious choice?
  16. Tiiria

Tiiria Cupcake

Most likely. There's still plenty of time, though. Stalker info comes out next week, but I doubt there will be much ranged stuff in their repertoire, if any.
  17. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Got to be honest, hate threads like this, would love it if no one compared this game to WoW or any other MMO and just went into it with a free clear head and made judgements of it by trying it firsthand :p
    Rentah likes this.
  18. Alistair Cain

Alistair Cain Cupcake

This is probably the best way, forget any pre-conceptions of what a class should or shouldn't be like and examine them on their own merits.
    I can understand people wanting to compare to a degree - e.g. "I like mages, are there any mage-type classes?",
    but the mechanics and game design of WildStar makes a DPS esper (relatively mage-like) play very differently from mages in some other games.

Even comparing roles could be misleading. I hated healing in WoW - I found it unexciting and preferred DPS.
    In action style games like Raiderz and Tera, I found healing to be great fun and very challenging and loved playing a healer.

Even though you may have preferred playing a Warrior in WoW, you may find that the playstle of an Esper in WildStar appeals more. Different game, different mechanics, different combat, all gives a very different approach to classes.
    FelixAkuma likes this.
  19. Bazeleel

Bazeleel Cupcake-About-Town

I think it's too early for a thread like this. None of us have player the game yet so it's really hard to actually get a feel for each class.
  20. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Too early yes but also entirely pointless, just wish people would stop comparing and just look at the game on its own lol.