1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wildstar endgame - room for improvement or good as it is?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by sylviamarri, Jul 15, 2014.

1. sylviamarri

sylviamarri New Cupcake

I've read a couple of pieces (one on a website, another a self-post on reddit) airing out some concerns with WS's endgame content. The first link's frustrations, as he calls it, seems to revolve on two things: feeling disheartened after hitting level 50, and his veteran adventures. The second link's concerns are dungeons/adventures as well, plus the warplots. They're both wondering if it's too much or if these are legitimate concerns. How about you?
  2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

You obviously have some form of stake in this topic, and yet you didn't put anything in your post about why you care. Both of those links have people commenting on the sites they originated on, which seems logical, so then why create a new account here, to solicit more comments vs just directing people to go "chime in" over on those 2 sites?
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

They did say it was for the 1% didn't they? There are bound to be whiners who want to join in but can't for some reason.

I think this sentence from the posts kinda says it all:
    Again, they said they would cater to the 1%, and the posts are talking about the ''non-hardcore'' people.

Seems to me the only thing WildStar/Carbine is doing is making what they've said from the beginning a truth. Isn't it refreshing to see a company doing that instead of giving in to the whiners?
  4. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I actually think Carbine started talking up the Raiding elder game too much, at the detriment of the other options in-game - so now we see this POV that "the" end game is raiding.

I feel Elder Crafting, Warplots, Arenas and Battlegrounds are being missed by those on the outside looking in.

Not to mention additions like Blighthaven (Elder Story) and housing (which isn't really an Elder system, but is certainly endless fun for those inclined to that sort of thing).

Raiding is tough. I hope it stays that way, to encourage guilds and their players to become better - so Carbine feel less guilty when they up the ante again!
  5. Cesmode

Cesmode Cupcake-About-Town

I'll go ahead and say that every game has its exodus of players after 1-3 months and Wildstar is no different. This is to be expected, and Carbine(if they have a clue) expect it. Its good they are adding megaservers but this sort of tells the tale of empty servers.

I'll also go ahead and say that I don't think 40 mans are going to stick around for ever with Wildstar. Frost armed with his statistics alluded to the fact that players are playing more solo in Wildstar than ever before, and only logging in for 15-30 minute intervals, which is shocking to them. Whatever factors play a role in this, who knows. But I believe that there are many barriers to entry in the raiding scene, even in 20 man. I think they will re-adjust in the future to maybe 10 or 15 person raids, or a flex style. I know they wanted to be hardcore, but its not retaining the playerbase and they need subs to keep their ship afloat. Keeping ~1 of the hardcore playerbase happy won't cut it in terms of revenue and they need to pay the bills. Even some of the so called and self proclaimed hardcores are either leaving or left the game.'

I said this prior to launch that such a focus on hardcore 40 man raiding, while refreshing and nostalgic, was not the way to go and won't last. Once everyone realizes the pain in organizing 40 people for a raid three months after launch with a quasi-dwindling playerbase, stuff goes down hill. The people that actually experienced the 40 man raids are now in their 30s and 40s with real life obstacles to overcome. The people with the time and passion for it are in their 20s or teens, and have never experienced a 40 man raid before. This, of course, is over generalizing but you get my point.

This is not to say that I dont/did not enjoy the game. I think its great. I think it is, or at least has the potential, to be the better alternative to the WoW or Rift raiding scenes. I myself don't have the time to dedicate to the hardcore nature that is Wildstar endgame. I have the skillset and mindset, just don't have the time.

I'm sure my post will be flamed by fanboi's of the 40 man raiding style, and thats fine. Go ahead. By christmas, maybe you too will see what other fellow hardcores have come to realize that 40 man raiding belongs in the past because its not feasible anymore.

In closing: wildstar is great, good potential. Too much focus and too much stigma was attached to its 40 man hardcore endgame. They do need to rework it.
  6. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I believe there are others things that can be added to Wildstar's endgame. I also believe that it shouldn't all be Raid focused. Prior to launch the raiding was really the big buzz word and I think Carbine focused on it to draw in that particular population.

Raiding doesn't really interest me. So, I tend to look at other things at endgame and try to think of what else could be added. They have made extensive changes to the whole medal system in adventures and dungeons which I think was good. It was really frustrating for one person to be squished on an adventure then suddenly everyone just quit. This was mostly a habit of LFG groups.

Veteran Shiphands, and more shiphands in general, would be lots of fun and appeal to casual crowds. I would draw my attention, but also it makes me think about when Frost said about people playing more solo. Shiphands can be easily soloed.

Housing to me is also great fun and probably the biggest time and gold sink there is. But, there is a décor item limit. You are limited to a total of 800 items. You can place 800 inside your house and 300 outside. If the placed décor limit were doubled it would be so great for many people. Housing may not be Elder game, but it is an everlasting game.