1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar: Gamescom Reveal Interview with Chris Hager

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Piaskowy, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Piaskowy

Piaskowy New Cupcake

MMORPG.com:

What is the most exciting thing about WildStar?

Chris Hager:

It's depth. By depth I mean real depth. We've played all other MMORPG's and we know we need true depth and enough content for players. This is something WildStar has and we're very excited to see players experience it.

MMORPG.com:

Can you tell us about one of the boss fights in WildStar?

Chris Hager:

There's about three or four of these fights in the hands-on content we have on the show floor. Some of them are big bosses that pop up that all players can join together to fight. One example is a giant robot with missiles and beams. The key there though is what we do with boss fights. It's about killing them skillfully, not just killing them. The more puzzles you can solve in a boss fight (dodging, etc) the more you gain as far as experience rewards and also better loot rewards. So I want to explain this a bit better. Let's say you kill a boss first, you get rewarded for this--same if you're in a really awesome guild that kills said boss the fastest. We reward those kinds of things.

[​IMG]

MMORPG.com:

Which area in WildStar do you feel is the most breathtaking to look at?

Chris Hager:

There's a whole bunch of areas. One of the cool things about being an explorer is that you usually end up on the top of mountains and the like, so the more you do that, the more you get access to it. There's a really pretty zone just after the newbie area we're showing on the show floor which has big mountains, and low gravity, which takes big chunks of the ground which are floating around.

MMORPG.com:

Why the name WildStar?

Chris Hager:

It's because there's a western space vibe with the game that's FireFly style. It's the wild frontier of space. The planet itself had the most powerful race on the universe on it, but they disappeared. The planet was under guard with powerful defenses, shooting down anyone flying by. And now the defenses are gone, so everyone can figure out the mystery of the planet and what happened.

[​IMG]

MMORPG.com:

Where do you see WildStar two years post launch?

Chris Hager:

What we're trying to do is think where your character will be multiple years after launch and tailor content and plans around that. We have a really strong commitment to the future of the game. We listen to our players. We ask stuff on the show floor right now. All this will blend together and make the future roadmap of WildStar.

MMORPG.com:

Which is your favorite monster in the game?

Chris Hager:

My favorite is the monster at the end of the opening solo storyline. There are several mechanics in this one fight, moving targets, giant laser beams. This is level six content so it's not a raid boss or anything like that.

[​IMG]

MMORPG.com:

Is there anything specific you feel people should be asking you about the game?

Chris Hager:

I like it the most when people are poking at the edges and seeing cool things they want to know more about and really wonder if it's real. Questions like, what's your play-style, can you make this fun etc. are also all very interesting questions to be getting.

MMORPG.com:

Do you have mini-games within the game?

Chris Hager:

In a way the game is already based around mini-games. What I mean with this is that in combat there are so many ways it can be 'solved' such as dodging, crowd control (stunning), double jump out and we just keep adding more and more to this. At higher level bosses for instance, there's a ground ripple coming towards you, and you need to jump over it. There's a vortex that start sucking you in, so you can't use your movement skills so instead have to try other things to avoid it. I feel that the game provides several small 'mini games' at the same time and it really sucks you in.

[​IMG]

MMORPG.com:

Tell us about the end game.

Chris Hager:

• It'll have a lot of variety.
    • It will also be very deep (no joke).
    • We'll have three different types of endgame: solo players (and no, not just reputation grinding, much more actual fun stuff), PVP and the hardcore PVE raiding.
  2. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Interesting. The question about mini-games seemed to get dodged sort of, though.
    I'm pretty curious to see if games like Fishing, Hunting, Cooking, Spellcraft (scroll buffs) will be in there.
  3. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

He probably couldn't answer that question completely at this stage. If the question is asked again in (let's say) 6 months, there might be a more complete answer. I too would love to see things like fishing and cooking (among other things), and with the "mini-game" approach they seem to be going for, they might well be able to pull off something a little more interesting than "click to cast line, wait for splash, click to reel in" or "gather ingredients, find a cooking fire, click a button".

Thanks for sharing this, Piaskowy! Very interesting read!
  4. ImmortalExile

Good point, starspun.
    With the way the controls and everything at THIS stage of the game are so interactive, I could see a cooking mini-game where the player has to actually start the fire through a series of clicks, or button presses, then combine ingredients through a similar series of clicks, and then begin the cooking. Would it be long and tedious? Oh yeah, you bet your boots... but it'd be a bit more... realistic? Odd, and maybe foolish, considering this world is anything but realistic. lol.
    Anyways... I agree about fishing, I think they can make fishing a bit more interactive then click, wait, click.
    I'm no game mechanic expert, so I don't really have any intuitive suggestions... Haha.
  5. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Well, I, um.."heard" that there's gonna be, *giggle*, a race-specific mini-game, just for the Aurin, where you have to Raid an instance for a "Carrot Patch Doll", and a barrel-rolling mini game for the Granok called "Rolling Stones". For Human Explorers, there's the mystery based mini-game "Get a clue".

Okay, "Not".
    Brotoi and starspun like this.
  6. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

nice interview, the end game comments caught my eye. Specifically the "not just reputation grinding" comment. At first I took this to mean, "in-addition to reputation grinding, we have this" but going back it sort of reads more like "we have more fun stuff to offer than your typical reputation grinding".

So hopefully I understand this correctly. Dont get me wrong, I like earning reputation with game factions so long as it doesnt require too much repetition (or any repetition).

As for raiding goes, we might be seeing the MMO community withdrawing themselves from endgame raiding in current MMO's. Im seeing a lot of feedback from gamers in multiple games who are wanting something a bit different. Most raiders come from other backgrounds of MMO raiding and after years of this it doesnt matter what the game is it becomes exhausting. Sure, new gamers who enjoy raiding are being added to the pool but im of the belief that the MMO community is reaching its pinnacle, if not has already reached its pinnacle. This means that most MMO gamers who are in the current pool of MMO gamers have at one point experienced end game raiding and a good percentage of these have experienced as much as they care to.

So, this is not to say I think that having end game raids is bad, I just think that era of MMO gaming is moving past us and developers need to start considering a more casual and still social way of accomplishing progression at the end game.
  7. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I actually like the endgame raids recently added to City of Heroes - they're not too unwieldy and are doable by smaller groups. If Carbine can come up with something similar then I for one will be happy!

Of course, some solo stuff to do endgame is always appreciated as well for off-hours gaming!
  8. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

Don't forget Vindball mentioned here and Matt's reference to his Vindball mascot being a Monkizooka here.
    ImmortalExile likes this.
  9. souper

souper Founding Member

I was curious if WildStar was anything more than a name such as some sort of in-game object/place/person. Good to have an answer.

And I do so hope Vindball is a playable minigame. Playing sports in a video game is so much better than in real life!
  10. ImmortalExile

Damn! I did forget about Vindball.