1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Art Wildstar Swag Brainstorming & Doodles

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Evion, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

So, this past week I was at the Game Developers Conference, and one of the fun pasttimes is collecting swag from the Expo floor. The definite best promotional swag this year were the hats being handed out by Riot, themed around a couple of their League of Legends characters, based on Teemo and Rammus. They worked wonderfully because they were colorful, noticeable, fun to wear, and drew lots of attention to Riot's booth.

[​IMG]

I was thinking, it would be fantastic if Wildstar had some kind of wearable swag similar to that. The key is keeping it simple, only a couple colors/shapes in order to make manufacturing cheeper, and make it wearable, preferably a hat, because that is the best place to get it noticed. Backpacks are harder to spot, as are t-shirts. Plushies could be fun too, but again those are going to be hidden away in bags or held in arms, where it's hard to see them in a crowd.

With those thoughts in mind, I threw together some simple concepts for potential Wildstar hats. I went with themes and colors similar to the promotional artworks in order to keep the connection to the brand as obvious as possible. Bonus Metal Maw hat because he seems to be a good mascot. ;)

[​IMG]

Please note, I am NOT a good product designer, that's not something I have any training in. I would love to see/hear if you guys have any ideas as well! Remember, try to keep them realistic, and consider things like packaging/shipping/wearability! But what do you think of possible Granok-heads, Mechari crystals, or pickle-like Protostar hats? ;)
  2. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I love the idea and those designs looks great, especially Metal Maw. If the Koalas are the fourth Dominion race they may make a good hat design, they aren't too far off from Teemo. :)
    Fate Flyer and InnocentCivilian like this.
  3. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

would love some merchandise to buy if Wildstar really takes off in a big way the character design and personallity just seem so appealing
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  4. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

This thread is win! I want a piece of that action! :p

Aurin ears, I think, are the most iconic thing about Wildstar for now :p. So many articles refer to WS as 'that game with the bunny girls' :laugh:.

Since you've got hats covered, I thought I'd throw in a couple backpacks! :p

Show off your Esper pride and leave friends guessing as to whether or not they will be the victim of a telekinetic attack with a stylish Psyblade Backpack!

Going somewhere new? Don't leave home without your trusty Scanbot Backpack to do some of the heavy lifting for you! #Protostar

[​IMG]

And also, just because, let's Metalmaw EVERYTHING.

[​IMG]
    Zerdav, Ender, Dysp and 7 others like this.
  5. Evion

First: ERMAHGERD METAL MAW BACKPACK. That is all sorts of awesome and adorable there! Could make the cannon part on his back a bottle-holder of sorts, and I love that his head is another pouch!

Second: That scan-bot backpack is another masterpiece, you've got a great eye for places to sneak in zippers/pouches. The Psyblade is really neat, but I almost want to see it as an inflatable weapon, kinda like Blizzard did with Frostmourne when Lich King was coming out! Maybe an inflatable tech-sword like we've seen in a lot of the demo videos would be good too! Something the kids can whack each other with without too much damage. ;)
  6. Colder

Colder New Cupcake

I see my kid going to school with a Metalmaw backpack and a draken hat !!!:up: Great Concept and Great design from both of you:).
    Evion let Innocent be part of the action, his, or her's, mechari half can be handy to deal with the competition (and the backpack idea is great!!) ;)
  7. InnocentCivilian

HMmmm Evion, you claim to not be a 'good product designer', yet YOU SEEM SUSPICIOUSLY KNOWLEDGEABLE ON HOW TO MAKE THINGS LOOK COOL. :cautious:

I did the Psyblade because it normally just chills on the Esper's back even when she/he is using most of their spells, so I thought it'd be neat to have a backpack that did that. :oops:

The bottle-holder idea is GENIUS! Deploying new Evion-suggested idea in 3....2...

[​IMG]
    Kurik, Evion and ruff_ethereal like this.
  8. Evion

Pffft, I can just sound like I know what I'm doing. >.>; I'm not actually very good at sewing except for following patterns, or making small changes to them. :p

But! I love the bottle-design change, that looks great! Also I didn't mention earlier, but absolutely thrilled with how quick you were with submitting such awesome idea-sketches. It fills my heart with glee. :inlove:

And not criticizing the Pysblade backpack, just wanted to say it inspired me to think of inflatable weapons, which I hadn't considered before. :D The concept is an awesome springboard to inspire more things!
  9. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

These are all amazing. I love the added functionality built into the design and the general OMAHGOD METAL MAW!!!!1111!!!!!

Apologies. Anyway, the best of the bunch would be the Metal Maw hat because wearing freaking Metal Maw on your head, and the Scan-Bot backpack for amusing meta-ness with storage and the clever zipper placement. I have to say that, though I am an Esper player myself, the psyblade knapsack just doesn't click; too minimalist.
  10. InnocentCivilian

Yay! :laugh:

Also, I just wanted to doodle stuff while the iron was hot so to speak :p. I'm actually notoriously difficult to get motivated to do stuff, so when I see a cool idea, I gotta do something about it. >_>

I think you're actually right, Ruff! :[ When I did it, I initially wanted to add more colour, but then thought that I'd go for a minimalist look so it wouldn't look too nerdy :p. Now that you mention it, I definitely refrained too much - at the very least, I coulda thrown in different shades of grey to break up the monotony :p. Ah well....I'm too lazyy to edit it right now :p. What do you think would look nice? In addition to some grey tones, maybe some blue illusionary motifs? ^__^
  11. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Haha good job guys, looks good :p
  12. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Yay, you did draw these! :D I actually really love that Draken hat! (Also, that Teemo hat is freaking adorable. :3) I think hats are definitely a great way to go for merchandise, especially when you have such easily-identifiable heads, like those of the Aurin, Draken, and the remaining races... ;) (I would so wear a Chua hat in a second! ^^) Even other very iconic WildStar things like the Metal Maw are a great idea! I could very easily see the top of the head of Phineas T Rotostar being made into a hat as well. :laugh: Awesome doodles, Evion!

ZOMG. These are a great idea toooo! :'D Haha, you guys are geniuses. I absolutely am in love with these designs and the way you turned parts of them into extra pouches. An Esper and Scientist bag? Come on, that's too perfect! I would be all over those. :up:

If there ever were little figures too, kind of like this Rammus keychain, I would be so happy.

[​IMG]

I would collect all of the Chuas. :]

[​IMG]
    Críostóir, Evion and Brenner like this.
  13. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I think it's awesome that the metalmaw hat is biting your head. You kinda make me want to go to the craft store and make a metal maw backpack...my sewing machine is soooo dusty though.
  14. Evion

I put together a couple more hats, this time more mob-themed with the Skeech that show up in all the cave systems around Nexus, and the Rowsdower goat that we've seen here and there. ;)

[​IMG]
    Rawhide, Zerdav, Ender and 6 others like this.
  15. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Those look great, Evion! :)
  16. Críostóir

Críostóir Cupcake-About-Town

I would pounce upon the chance to wear some Chua-themed gear, for science!
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  17. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

So much great stuff in here! You guys are doing a hell of a job!
    I'd jump on the chance to buy some WildStar swag! I'd buy all the hats, shirts, backpacks... I'm such a sucker!
  18. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Haha, amazing! Gief Gief! :D
  19. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

DEFINITELY psychic energy lines, possible even Eldan patterns or the WildStar Logo. Maybe add in a touch of Blade Dance to it? By far, spinning around in mid-air, dozens of miniature psyblades shooting out to cause untold amounts of pain to your enemy is the coolest Esper skill I've ever seen.

And that's just level 6-. Can you say "SQUEE!"?

Anyway, I know it's a lot of work, but the Espers are all about flashy psychic energy. As you said, the physical psyblade rarely gets any action because we psychics have so many flashy illusions.
  20. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

I
    NEED
    THAT
    SKEECH
    HAT