1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Art WildStar-themed signature & avatar

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Rai, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Isopropyl

Isopropyl New Cupcake

Are one of u going to be making the signatures now?
  2. Dist

Dist Cupcake

She may not have stolen everything, but she knowingly took art without consent, edited it, removed authors signatures, and made no attempt to ask for permission before doing any of that.

If someone wants to make/use signatures using artwork that they have the rights to use then by all means, go ahead. But if you don't have the right to use something then don't (and if you are chopping off an artists signature, you can be pretty sure you are in the wrong)! Many artists draw stuff out of passion for the game, sometimes they are commissioned to draw pieces and some artists live off the money (often much less than they deserve IMO) that they get for their amazing work. To steal credit from these artists is unacceptable.

If BunnyLove wants to create a new account and is willing to follow the rules then that's okay, as long as any signatures are created with their owners consent as I have mentioned.
    Himmel and Brenner like this.
  3. Isopropyl

Isopropyl New Cupcake

I'm just saying I don't see any of u taking time outta ur day to create these sigs for the community. And I'm pretty sure she didn't say oh yeah let me steal this. She probably just searched for images like I do.
  4. Himmel

Himmel New Cupcake

Because as artists, we use places like DeviantArt and Tumblr and other venues to showcase our works - either personal or commissioned. And those works are not for you nor anyone to use to take. In this particular case, I know three of my pictures were chopped up and manipulated for the use of other people - without my consent. That would be like me strolling around your home and taking photographs of your belongings and then say all these things belong to me.

Artists can work anywhere from two to twenty hours on a piece. It's painful to see someone swipe it out from under us just to make some half-assed signature in a mere twenty minutes. In this case, it's someone trying to sell off artists' work like a street-corner scam artist sells fake Rolexs. Now I have to put hideous watermarks over all my work.

I don't expect non-artist people to understand, and judging from the post this thread has already received since then, some of you really don't appreciate what it takes to be an artist, nor respect them.
    Brenner and Voison like this.
  5. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

Yikes... People need to chill. :sleep:
    Brenner and Himmel like this.
  6. Jackhal

Jackhal New Cupcake

Talk about entitled. No one is required to make you a signature, and artists are not required to magically be 'okay' with having their artwork ripped and manipulated to serve someone else's purpose. Creating signatures using artwork without permission is not providing a service to the community - especially considering that all of those signatures are now going to be taken down.

Could've been avoided if permission had been acquired first. S'all I'm sayin'.

Also, it takes like ten minutes to use google image search and figure out where the image you want to use came from. You don't have to be a mastermind hacker to trace something to its source and figure out if it's free to use or not.
    Brenner, Voison and Himmel like this.
  7. Isopropyl

Isopropyl New Cupcake

Well nobody gave her time to turn around and ask u just ban hammered her. And I do photo shop work and tbh I would be honored if someone used my work. I guess I'm just friendly
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

He is an artist himself, he got awesome WS art pieces, which are (mis)used by people on a regular base.

Hence why Himmal (and others) agree so valiantly on the mod's statement. This has NOTHING to do with licking someone's ....

Please think before posting!

Well she did agree on the terms/rules when entering this site didn't she?
    Should be enough, and since this community is full with most of those artists I can see how they immediatly take it down without warning!
    Brenner likes this.
  9. Ulgrim

Ulgrim New Cupcake

...And just before she got to mine. Well that's unfortunate.
  10. Isopropyl

Isopropyl New Cupcake

Well guys if I can find my ps c I will start making the sigs for us unless rai or someone else better than me continues it
  11. Aristora

Aristora New Cupcake

12. Aristora

Aristora New Cupcake

Also going to post the original picture for the one she did for Thanos. I can't find the altered ones. Someone found them via tumblr. The first one used in the post above was for someone named Naut? And the picture below was altered for a character named Thanos. Note that I did not give permission for BunnyLove to alter these pictures.

[​IMG]
  13. ronon1983

ronon1983 New Cupcake

well I'm keeping mine for offic forum unless you have some legal copyright claim on it, i bet most of us download there copy of sig to there pc.
  14. Dogblaster

Dogblaster New Cupcake

It's okey :) Not that hard to create own signature in photoshop

I love the one Sendlor has, going to do similar one using picture from some Wildstar wallpaper or screenshot.
  15. Aristora

Aristora New Cupcake

I do have copyrights to my art if that's what you mean.
  16. Isopropyl

Isopropyl New Cupcake

Aristocra wanna help the community out and make some signatures? I can't find my photoshop cs disk. Only elements and it doesn't give me enough options
  17. Aristora

Aristora New Cupcake

I do not own photoshop, nor do I have the time right now to take commissions.
  18. AtelierDora

AtelierDora New Cupcake

The amount of entitlement in here is staggering.

They took the time out of their day to make the original art! No one owes the community anything just because you want a fancy signature. Finding an image somewhere doesn't mean you own it.

It has nothing to do with being "friendly" and everything to do with someone's hard work being re-branded and chopped up as someone else's. It's insulting and dishonest.

Uh, most of these artists DO have copyrights on their work, or can EASILY obtain them.

Do you people not get how art works? They don't crank out these pieces in a couple of minutes. Fully finished pieces can take hours upon hours of work. Not only the hours of work on the piece itself, but the experience and practice that goes into it has to be taken into account, too. Art classes, time, stress, tools, equipment, software. All that is behind the work you so blithely steal. Can't you see how disheartening it is? Just attempt to conceptualize that. Please.
  19. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

Anything created prior to March 1, 1989 must have a © notice on it for copyright to be enforceable. However, anything made after March 1, 1989—which should include all WildStar-themed artwork—is subject to a sort of implicit copyright. The original creator owns copyright, whether or not a © notice appears anywhere on the work.

Adding the notice is considered professional, and many still do. You will in fact notice that, for instance, the original artwork of Himmel has an automated "©2014 pyra-gs-mugetsu" notice on the DeviantArt page, since it's set to "all rights reserved" rather than "creative commons".

The above is specifically meant for text, but much of it applies to photography, artwork and other things.

This is, mind you, a common mindset on the internet; "it was put up there, so it's free for me to take." I mean, your avatar of the surfing radish is Evion's work, for instance. (Now, as far as I know, Evion doesn't care much if people use generic art—i.e., art not of someone specific's character which she did for them—as an avatar, but it's still good to ask. Especially if the artist is part of the same community you are!)

This is why artists often end up putting watermarks on their images; you'll notice (if you go to the link to the original medic image, above) that Pyra has turned the DeviantArt watermarks back on after this most recent event, to make the images harder for people to just grab.

Some content providers are happy to have people use their work as the basis for other things; others are not. For me, for instance, I find I am happy if others use code I've written to build new things; that's totally fine with me. On the other hand, I am far less happy if people appropriate my photography to use. I have had people actually genuinely take the high-resolution versions of my photography, print them out, and try to sell them. (I found someone doing this in an art market near my house because they had taken an image of mine of a nearby recognizable landmark.)

In general, always ask first. Maybe they say yes, maybe they say no. Maybe they say, "I did that image for someone else, for money, so the rights aren't mine to give away; you should ask <X> instead." In any case, there's no hard feelings then.

And again, keep in mind: most of them take commissions, and would probably be happy to do artwork of your specific character for you. Sure, some may have waiting lists ("I won't have time to take new commissions until July" or whatever), but you can still make a note of the prices and when they'll be open again, and put in a commission when they are with the artist whose style you like most. Then you have artwork no one else has, of your individual character, unique to you! You get art, they get money to compensate them for the hours of work that goes into the art, everyone's happy. :)
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    Aristora and Dist like this.
  20. ronon1983

ronon1983 New Cupcake

Oki i won't use medic signature on offic forum and i turn off global signature on enjin site, i'm just going to use sig for my own forum. (No one unregistered on my site will see it anyway. )