1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wildstar Town Hall Meetings - June 2013

Discussion in 'Community News' started by Nyxis, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Datix

Datix New Cupcake

Mission: Nexus would love to participate. Reps would be Datix and Domichi. We'd be at the NA meeting.

Thanks for putting this together guys. Great opportunity for the community!
  2. Nyxis

Nyxis Cupcake-About-Town

I have updated the original post. If you wish to attend, please fill out the form that we've linked.
  3. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

The forums are a large, messy, disorganized place. There are things that get missed out. So during a dialog with Carbine this little project came up and the green light happened.

The purpose is multifaceted and challenging. We know the work that needs to be put into it. I was up until 4am sorting out spreadsheets and potential poll questions that involved both the community at large and the actual meeting attendees. As the saying goes, this isn't our first rodeo ;)

We cannot confirm or deny if there will be a Dev presense at the Town hall meetings at this time. What I can personally confirm is this:

This is a chance for the active Wildstar community to make sure that hot button issues are posted up, polls are taken, data is gathered, and sent along to the people who can decide what to do with said information from there. For sure there are developers who post on WSC and other places like Twitter, but this is our initiative (our being the Wildstar community) to make sure our voice is heard. If the polls on flying mounts shows that an overwhelming majority of organizations don't like them, however the general public does, we will be allowing Carbine to be able to look at social data from various populations... without them having to do the work of having to dig through tons of long winded posts that have a ton of subjective data and feelings in them.
    DPSClass and WarPlots like this.
  4. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

So, just to be clear.

This is not an official Carbine event. This is a guild sponsored event. This event will be to just do what we do on the forums already but put to voice? No real information coming out just folks speaking their mind? So how will you fight leaks? You can mute everyone, sure, but then why have a town hall?

This truly isn't meant to be offensive, although I am certain some will take offense, but it seems like a big headache and one that needs serious moderation with very little actual reward or purpose.
    Lunacat likes this.
  5. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Well I signed up WildStar Roleplay with the form.

If it's ok, Patrician and Ender will be at the NA one, while Renaise will be there for the EU one. :)
  6. Chooby

Chooby Cupcake

Warpath will be at the NA meeting. I will represent us for sure; I'll check with our other members and see who else is interested.

Awesome job setting this up.
  7. Aegon

Aegon Cupcake

If your curious on how this work, you can check out the example of previous Town Hall some of us have been a part of.

Screenager likes this.
  8. EGTacticsTV

EGTacticsTV New Cupcake

End Game Tactics.com will be attending the NA meeting.

Lets have a great turn out everyone. Put your thinking caps on!
  9. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

AW bloody hell I remember these... I also remember sitting through the EU and NA ones a couple of times... wow that brings back memories. :)
    Kethrym and Nyxis like this.
  10. Brenner

Brenner Cupcake-About-Town

Just filled out the application: I will be attending the NA meetings for the Scowling Cassian as John.

Looking forwards to this!
  11. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

See, there's a few things I personally find wrong about this.

First, the Forums. Forums, are yes, generally messy, but the threads that are important to people and are important to the game stand out above the rest (Flying mount thread, anyone? Payment model threads?) and probably read almost everyday by the majority of the community and quite possibly the dev's. The important topics stick out, the same ones that you're going to be trying to have a town hall meeting with.

...Why? The hot topics are already being discussed via the forums and in a few other places. Having a townhall meeting, while an awesome idea in some regards, just add to the chaos and information (and in lots of cases, misinformation) that gets thrown around everywhere. Even if you were to spend time clarifying everything, someone out there is still going to misinterpret something and someone's gonna get mad.

As far as your statement: "This is a chance for the active Wildstar community to make sure that hot button issues are posted up, polls are taken, data is gathered, and sent along to the people who can decide what to do with said information from there.... this is our initiative (our being the Wildstar community) to make sure our voice is heard"

....what?

I just checked @team_wildstars followers and they currently have 17338 followers. Let's just ASSUME that you fill up all 500 slots and lets assume that is the complete total number of people interested in Wildstar at the moment..

Doing some quickie numbers here: (500/17338)*100 = 2.8%~.

2.8% does NOT a community make.. and lets not forget that the sample I took that from was a twitter account.. something that not everyone interested in wildstar is going to use or follow.. so that % is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

This is terrible for the sake of collecting data. The sample size you're trying to take from is not significant enough that from a logistical point of view to really even consider IMHO.

I really HATE point this out and even the negative tones that this post has... but you've gotta understand that while you guys are doing something cool that may help bring the community together and get some new idea's to carbine...

We already have direct lines of communication with Carbine. I've been able to atleast say hi in passing to dev's on the IRC channel here and they post quite frequently here and it lets people write out their thoughts in these posts that they know the dev's are watching (I mean.. why else would they post things here if they didn't want info or to clarify things?)

I really wish you guys luck with this and I hope good stuff comes from it.. but again.... I just can't help but be skeptical of the whole thing.
    Ceodoc, Phoenix, SiegaPlays and 3 others like this.
  12. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I've heard rumors that the beta applications have risen to close to 400k. Even if everyone uses 2 emails, that's 200k people interested in the game who are a part of the community. Just saying you're using a very conservative number
  13. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

Hi

What you are proposing is great, but a couple of points I would like to discuss.

1) The GW2 Townhall meetings primary objective was to inform the community of what was happening within the community, and feedback to the developers was secondary.
    See for example: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/40383-june-2012-community-townhall-3-euna/

2) The GW2 TH meetings happened quite close to launch, after extensive closed betas had taken place. The majority of people in the meeting had experienced the content to be fed back. Currently in WS we have a relatively small beta (~2000 people) which are covered by an NDA

What you are proposing is great, but is very different from the GW2 TH meetings, and I think it would be best if the situation is clarified with;
    - a clear statement on the "Terms of Reference"
    - an agenda produced well before the meeting
    - a clear set of Aims and objectives

I do think the concept that was adopted by the GW2 Townhall meetings to inform the community would be fantastic for Wildstar, but I do feel that trying to offer feedback to Carbine is too early at this stage.
  14. Nyxis

Nyxis Cupcake-About-Town

Thank you for pointing out your concerns folks! I'm working on updating the post to make things a bit more clear for those who aren't familiar with this type of event. And don't hesitate to contact me if you want to talk about suggestions !
  15. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

Hi, I just wanted to post something here about the concerns I posted on Twitter about the event. I would've posted it there but 140 characters is kinda limiting when you need to elaborate a lot. :D

The gist of it was that, like I said on Twitter earlier, that it was mostly misunderstanding, poor wording, along with some valid concerns that have been put to rest after I discussed it with Nyxis. I'll list my concerns and how they have been alleviated here so people know the "before/after" and why:
    • Concern: It looks like a Carbine sanctioned focus-feedback event being run by one community organization alone. This raised concerns about said feedback getting preferential treatment over other platforms (Twitter, Facebook, forums such as this one.)
      • Resolution: It was a misunderstanding. Carbine's involvement is that the platform will be recognized by them, much like Twitter or WSC. Nothing more 'sinister' than that. It is purely a community event run by community members.
    • Concern: The event should be a joint-community event, from administration, moderation to participation. Having only one organization handle everything, whether it be SVG, Late Night Dominion, or even WSC, brings lots of concerns of how much of a 'community effort' the event is, along with lots of potential bias in the focus of the discussion, selection of 'speaker', and any potentially 'filtered' feedback.
      • Resolution: This is something me and Nyxis agreed on that it does look bad when a community effort such as this is being run under the guise of a single organization. The intent was for them to provide the logistics (Teamspeak, organization and moderation) while the community got all the say. All I can say about this is that they will be looking into getting more community involvement with the logistics to prevent a singular bias towards one organization and hopefully make the event a better representative of the community as a whole.
    • Concern: The topics of discussion would be entirely under the event's administration control.
      • Resolution: There will be topics that the event administration will bring up that will be known beforehand but also representatives will be able to bring up new topics.
    • Concern: The discussion will be controlled by the event administration due to selection of representatives and selecting 'who gets to speak now.'
      • Resolution: Partly resolved above by the introduction of other community members to the administration/logistics side. Partly resolved by the clarification I got in my discussion and the video currently in the OP. While there will only be one speaker at a time, to avoid people talking over each other, there will be a text chat window where representatives will be able to discuss the current topic as well.
    I believe that is everything about my concerns. Hopefully soon, the OP's wording will be improved to avoid these misunderstandings, along with better clarifications of the nature of the event and how it'll take place.

Thus, I now give my support to the event and hope to participate as well.I have also volunteered to gather feedback before and after the event in how they can better improve the event before this one and any potential future events. If you happen to be on IRC and would like to voice your concerns, hit me up with a PM and we can discuss it and I promise any concerns I can't alleviate I would forward to the event holders and discuss it with them. Otherwise, Nyxis is also open to hearing your concerns as well, so don't forget that.

I hope this has answered many people's concerns about the events and my stance about the event.
  16. Nyxis

Nyxis Cupcake-About-Town

I will definitely be updating the original post with more details soon as to avoid additional miscommunication.

To expand on this point, we will use a queue process to determine whose turn it is to speak. Those who wish to express their thoughts vocally will either PM a mod or leave a notice in the text chat to be placed in the queue. Mods simply compile the queue requests as they come; they have no say on who gets to speak next. While someone is talking, those listening are free to use text chat until it is their turn.
    Brenner likes this.
  17. Brenner

Quick question. Will these meetings be recorded and posted on Youtube like the GW2 example so that others may view it later?
  18. Nyxis

Nyxis Cupcake-About-Town

Streamed & posted on Youtube.
    Brenner likes this.
  19. Brenner

Excellent! Thanks much!
  20. Aegon

Aegon Cupcake

Yes they will be made public for those who missed the event to watch.
    Kethrym and Brenner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.