1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar Wednesday - The Ravaging of Arboria

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by starspun, Nov 21, 2012.

1. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Whether you're curious to learn more about the Aurin and how they came to join the Exiles, or just want a proper look at a male Aurin, it seems today's update is for you. Narrative Designer Constance Griffith is sharing the tale of Arboria's destruction with us, and the moral of the story seems that if you want to live in peace, you shouldn't aid fugitives!​

( Read more... )
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Oooo, another juicy backstory. Nice read. Thanks Carbine.
  3. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I rewrote the paragraph for the believers the Dominion are good and not evil:

Despite the careful precautions taken by the rebel humans, the Dominion managed to trace the path of their fleet and eventually discovered the location of Arboria. As reward for leading them to the fugivite humans, the Dominion declared uncondional aid to modernize the Aurin's forest kingdom and sent an army of helpful Scientists to share the empire's technology.

Anyway, first part of the story reminded me of Avatar. Nice lore again. And now we have lore about all the three known races, does that mean we get a new race reveal next time? ;)
  4. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I don't think anyone has argued that the Dominion are good and not evil, Black Wolf, but rather that there are two sides to a story, and both sides will make the other side out to be the bad guys.

I still see the conflict as a shades of grey thing - both factions will have their ups and downs, much like the Alliance and the Horde in WoW, or the Guardians and the Defiant in Rift.
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

That is why I wrote the Dominion side of the story with some sarcasm. No matter how many sides of the story you can come up with, the result is the same. Almost an entire population is gone, part of the survivors have been able to flee from their planet, the rest were forced to stay. Not sure in what conditions they have to live. If they are still alive that is.

This is not a matter of seeing things grey. There are times things can't been seen in a positive view or justified in any good way anymore. How do you think the Germans explained the mass killing of the Jews? They all slipped in the shower?

Anyway, sending that army was just awful genocide. I guess we see things differently. No hard feelings though. I made my decision. I know what side I'm on. Exile for life!
  6. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I don't believe it's a matter of seeing things differently just that there isn't much depth to the lore yet to make those kind of conclusions, in my opinion of course. While the Dominion is pretty much 100% evil so far I hope the narrative team does come through with the grey statements from before.
  7. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Actually, I'd make my guess as more like...

"Heroic and highly skilled Dominion Scout Captains eventually tracked down where the Exile Fleet was resupplying from - a small out of the way planet previously overlooked in Galactic surveys. All attempts to communicate with the native population was rebuffed, and despite frequent warnings that harboring and supplying Exiled fugitives was a capital crime, the natives persisted in flaunting Dominion law.

"Accordingly, as per Dominion Military Doctrine, this Exile supply station needed to be depleted - the supply lines cut off. The Dominion Military blockaded the planet, to ensure no terrorist interference and then Planetary Resource Harvesters were sent in to strip the natural exploitable resources of the planet.

"Mindful of the upheaval this would cause, Dominion Militias from the local systems were mobilised to aid in the peaceful relocation of the native population - to elsewhere on their planet, less abundant with resources (medicinal, technological and nutritional aid was allocated for the project, from the empire - guaranteed by the Emperor himself!).

"The process was barely interrupted when malcontents among the locals, likely stirred up by fanciful tales from Exile terrorists, attempted to sabotage the Harvesters with their local "weapons". Despite the sub-standard technologies in use, Dominion personnel were harmed and were forced to return fire. Several units were reprimanded for the use of excessive force, during the small engagements.

"Operations were further hampered when an Exile fleet arrived, presumably to resupply. Troops and the blockade fleet moved to intercept and were able to prevent further materiel from falling into Exile hands. In the confusion of battle, however, the Exiles managed to extract their malcontents/local terrorist cell from the planet surface.

"Since their departure, the natives have been rehomed and a local Governor has been put in place to ensure that the native population continues to be cared for by the Dominion, in recompense for the decisive (but admittedly destructive) action that the Military had to undertake to help root out the Exile Fleet."
    - An excerpt from James Ferdinand Stardrifter's latest work, "A Modern History of the Cassian Civil War: The Aftermath"
  8. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I gave you a like for the effort Zap, but I still don't buy it. It's like how it is in the real world. I rather get my news from some Twitter feeds or independent blogs then the established media companies controlled by major corporations. I have learned to get my news from multiple sources and then use my brain to make my own assumptions on what happened. You can call it reading between the lines or whatever.

This line already makes me wonder. Who are the Dominion to force their laws on a planet they have no control over? Apparently Dominion law is Galactic law in The Dominion's eyes. That is not how things should work.

*shivver*

So now the resources of an independant planet are Dominion properties as well? Goodie. Let's give all resources of the Earth away when some unknown alien race contacts us. No matter if we die or not, just to help the aliens. Why not!

Numbers don't lie. Small engagements do not kill off almost an entire population. Unless, exterminating a planet is a small act for The Dominion. Then it is ok!
  9. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I love Zaps account of the incident haha.

When I read this I was thinking how heavily pro Exile it was then I thought that the Pro Dominion lore might only be released after the Dominion reveal.

It might be we are learning about the Exiles now then we have a time where its all Dominion after that all about the current struggle in Nexus reported by a neutral alien race.

Maybe reports from Protostar sales reps to HQ :p
    Zap-Robo likes this.
  10. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

I ask me, why is the male aurin look more like an animal than the female? The hands of the male Aurin, they have claws and another bone strucure. The female hand ist just a bigger human hand. And why is his tail not transparent, is it an npc? Overall i would trust the male aurin more, that he's jumped from tree to tree on Arboria.
  11. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Things don't have to make sense as long as most of their population believe what they spew out. Like a lot of political ads between parties that contradict one another. As long as you can make someone believe it you will get the votes you need.
  12. ObliviousPrime

[​IMG]

hmmm...

:p

Cool goggles on the female Aurin
  13. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

Why he has 5 toes per feet and she only 4? X_x
  14. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Absolutely! Essentially, this is a difficult one to spin, so the likelihood is the Dominion keep the details away from their populace - hence why I made it a "historical" perspective.

I'm looking forward to what the official Dominion lines are for these occurrences, as well as details on the atrocities that the Exiles committed in the name of "freedom" (if the devs are going for a non-good vs. evil, then they may well go down the route of having villainous acts on both sides of the fence!).

No spin now, this was a pretty terrible thing to have been done to a people/planet - even my attempt at spin had to include some negative aspects (military doctrine, excessive force, brushing off the Aurin attacks as just "malcontents" and not the entire population!)

It's a shame all the reveals have been one-sided since it's painting that picture of good vs. evil right now.
  15. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Nice to get some more Exile backstory, Zap's accounts are good but cant help siding with Black Wolf and his angle on things. I think if the Doms tried to portray themselves more as 'intergalactic' peacekeepers then that may justify some of their actions and strategies but right now they are a domineering ruthless military force across several worlds and thats going to need a real good spin to turn it around.

Unless of course they are conquesting the planets to cure diseases, setup schools for the population and quell warring factions ?

I like the Avatar comparison and can draw parralels between the Pilgrims and Native Americans (and later British) here in the US of course too, nice seasonal nod Carbine :) Im looking for some Washington/Oregon state folks to weigh in on the resource ravaging angle, that would be a good perspective.
  16. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

They are from all over a planet. You'd find as wide a range of genetical differences in how humans look. Benneton is making their campaigns on it :p Difference in for instance ear size and fur lenght could be from what was best to survive with in a forest area vs a savanne vs a coastline area vs snowy highlands.

[​IMG]
  17. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

I'm hoping for different tails.
  18. Opi

Opi New Cupcake

Oh snap, that beautiful landscape in the background, I hope they have customizations for your character. I may be able to make my Aurin as close to the Lombax from Ratchet and Clank as possible :sneaky:
  19. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I wonder if, as a Aurin in end game we might get a quest or cutscene were we plant a Mother Tree sapling to cement our "This is our home now." kind of feeling? I think that'd be kind of cool.
  20. ObliviousPrime

Just realized the male aurin looks more like inuyasha than Ratchet