1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar wowhead?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Wreck, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

For those of you not familiar with wowhead, it's basically a website that contains data about every item, spell, quest, etc. I found it very useful while playing WoW. Will there be a WShead? Should there be? Shouldn't there be? Why? What other features can it contain for WildStar?
    I'm personally strongly in favor of a WS-head website.
  2. Zel

Zel Cupcake

It certainly is a useful feature! and akin to the myriad of ___wiki sites of which a wildstarwiki is likely to make an appearance! Did wowhead offer anything your basic wiki doesn't?
  3. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

3D item model viewer? Quest objective comments (for those who get stuck)? Talent calculator? not sure if that's available this basic wiki you refer to. There are lots of nice features in wowhead that make it so popular.
  4. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

zam makes a lot of those sites close to the game release. I know guildhead came out I think around the release date of the game.

Though honestly I use the official wiki and gw2db (Curse) more than guild head. I did use TORhead when in SWTOR.

All those features you mentioned will be implemented around the launch of the game, because even during open beta information changes.
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

It would be nice if Scientists in the game could fill the in-game database with information, so we don't need a 3rd party website anymore. Or maybe an addon in the game that's able to pull the information in from an external site like Wowhead.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wowhead, but the less stuff outside the game, the better!
  6. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

In addition to this, when I played WoW, thottbot (sp?) was the main place to get quest information. What if instead of there being a quest helper that blinks flashing lights on your minimap telling you where to go, the explorer can add to a database of quests. The only problem with this is when the quests are done.
  7. Firmitas

Firmitas New Cupcake

I actually feel the opposite of this, I would rather not have addons, or an in-game database where you can find all the information you always want.

This is, in my opinion part of the fun in the game, when you NEED to read the quest description to understand what to do. To fight and die from that same monster until you learn how to defeat it.
    By having an in-game database you make it considerable easier to just check everything there before trying. While having a website to go to takes longer and might push you in to actually trying and reading in game hints before.

Not arguing there shouldn't be one, just don't have it in game, same as with addons such as questhelper, DeadlyBossMods.
    Velaza and Witless like this.
  8. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

The game will have both addons and an in-game database. Confirmed multiple times by Carbine.
  9. ObliviousPrime

i love the idea of explorers adding info on locations of dynamic quests.

what do you mean "when the quests are done" ie after you complet it? there has to be a quest tracker and that quest could show up in a different color to show that it was completed.
  10. JarNod

I don't know... Just popped into my head... I just think that it would be a cool way to give help to other players, and it would fit with the explorer path. "Having trouble finding this quest? That's ok, Protostar (with the help of the explorer JarNod) brings you the information you need!" Imagine being the first one to find a little niche quest
  11. Firmitas

Firmitas New Cupcake

I did not know, but I might also have been a bit narrow-minded in my last post. Ill try reformulate.

I don't actually think that the hole idea of a database in-game was bad, I was more in the mindset of just how it is presented and what information you can find in what kind of way.
    For example to find information about lore, weapons, monsters could be wonderful. My concerns about things as QuestHelper DBM and similar addons, might rather fit in the Topic for addons and not here.
  12. ObliviousPrime

that is a cool idea, and It would be nice if they can offer help in stages. Like first live is a hint the next is a bit more help and the third is for those who have been there for 1 hour and can't figure it out.
    you can access all the info of course for those who don't want to enjoy the quest but limit some information for the poeple who are trying to do it on their own but need a bit of help some of the time.
  13. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

An in-game database would be awesome. How cool would it be to press a button and a huge hologram interface pops up with everything the has been id'd by the players. It fits perfect in a sci-fi game like this.
    Ayr likes this.
  14. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

I do like the idea of in-game databases, but I hope for out-of-game ones too so that I can research while I'm away from the game. I use WoWhead/SWTORHead for researching recipes and armor drops especially, and looking up potential armor pieces to acquire. Having a preview system is one of the key features for me, since I admit I do like to play dress-up with my characters. :p
    Ayr and cali like this.
  15. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

An App would also be a good idea that will search in-game data.
  16. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Mobile app is the way to go...
  17. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I think its rather likely Wildstar will get the DB treatment. ZAM all ready has WildstarSource.com. Though, the site appears to be down at the moment. I'm very much in favor of this.
  18. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

WildStar Source was closed by ZAM, presumably due to a lack of traffic.
  19. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

... wow, that was quick. I was just at this website last week and thinking, "God, I hope Wildstar-Central doesn't lose forum goers to this." So, this actually makes me happy. I really don't like it when too many community websites crop up. Information gets scattered all over the place and I end up having to visit 5 different sites just to find one answer.
  20. JarNod

I don't think I'll ever leave WSC... Too many awesome people :p