1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar Zone Challenges- Problem?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by ImmortalExile, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I was watching one of the video demos, and when the Zone Challenge to kill 6 Frozenroots in five minutes came up, I was all for it... then I got to thinking, upon launch... when we're all running around killing frozenroots, how hard will it be to actually complete the challenge? And will we ever see it again if we can't complete the challenge?
    Now, the challenge is easy enough- but when you have seven or eight other people around trying to do the same thing, it won't be very easy.
    How do you figure they will handle this?
  2. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

Well, they said they were going to make extensive use of phasing, so you'll probably have everybody more spread out between the phases as they level through the zone, rather than all being on the same phase at the same time. That is what I'm assuming anyway. So less people will be around to swipe your mobs because they are phased in another layer.
  3. ImmortalExile

I see. That's good news, then! 'twas just a mild concern.
  4. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Alternatively, the starting areas could be instanced/cloned to have a given population limit. Failing that, a wide enough hunting area could still cover this (plus, this is only one of several starting areas so overcrowding may not be an issue - that's what testing is for!)
  5. Scrawny

Scrawny Cupcake

Interesting, I hadn't thought about that, perhaps when you receive a challenge it could phase you, provided it weren't too difficult technologically, so it was truly up to your skill and not based on the amount of mobs available or what not. Hmm, I say.
    Zap-Robo likes this.
  6. ImmortalExile

True enough, Zap!
    Testing will hopefully pave the way to a successful launch. Testing I hopefully have a hand in. Hehe!
  7. Zap-Robo

Not a bad idea, but to my mind a better solution would be to offer phased mobs - sufficient for the task that only you can see/interact with. So you can still see and interact with players but you can't get killstealed (and there's no shortage of mobs for others)
    ImmortalExile likes this.
  8. ImmortalExile

Great idea.
    Phased mobs that only a specific player can interact with. Awesome.
  9. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

Not that bad an idea, but phased mobs present an immersion breaking factor. You as an outsider basically are watching somebody attack invisible mobs, which is pretty goofy looking. I mean, that solution WORKS, but it's not a very seamless in presentation.
    Brotoi likes this.
  10. Lucas

Lucas Cupcake

Yep, zone cloning is a good solution: usually, you can switch them at will so you can join your friends (see Guild Wars and Age of Conan) without problems.
  11. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

I'm thinking the solution is probably in a different direction. I'm quite sure challenges will be repeatable. Not just if you fail, but even if you succeed. There may be some kind of internal cooldown to prevent grinding on them, but then again there might not. What's the harm in grinding on challenges if that's what you feel like doing?

As for mobs getting thinned out by other players, it's pretty standard for MMOs to automatically tweak the spawn rates based on the number of players in an area.
  12. ImmortalExile

I suppose. I just remember in World of Warcraft having to wait ten minutes or more sometimes for re-spawns. Even on standard mob fodder. Then again, sometimes the spawn rate was ridiculously fast and I'd have to run away to heal up... Hahaha.
  13. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

I just read an article on a german gamingwebsite, where they write, that those challenges will actually be repeatable :D

I´m voting for zone-cloning and those zones are phased also.
  14. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

I don't like too much phasing, I recall that that question was asked and the answer was like "we will spawn more mobs" and that you would also get credit for kills if you help others.
  15. aspira

aspira Founding Member

I would prefer something like this to phasing. I hated phasing in WoW because if you went back to help firends, they would often be in a different phase of the zone and you couldn't help them out.

Phasing to me sort of breaks the social aspect of the MMO so I much prefer the other ideas like spawning more mobs or rewarding you for helping others that Carbine are throwing around. Making the MMO sociable again would be nice.
  16. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

Yep, that is exactly the issue ... I mean what is the use of playing online game, when other players are phased away too much. Not saying phasing is bad in general, but at the same time it should not be too much of it. In Ulduar (WoW) was too much phasing for my liking. It is nice to see the zone change, but you could not see or help others and when you complete a quest they suddenly appear next to you :D
    Helping others in wildstar is a doublesided sword (is that hwo you say it?) anyhow, since the bosses scale with player in the area. But well these are jsut assumptions, we'll see at beta how it turns out. Kind of regret to not have played it.
  17. ImmortalExile

Would definitely prefer this. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Can't wait for beta!
  18. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

Didnt I read somewhere that the demo shown at *edit* Gamescom was just that, a demo created for the conference and doesnt necessarily represent the starting area of the game?

However that doesnt exclude the point that there may be timed missions in game with contested mobs, which is a bad thing really unless theres either some form of auto-grouping or phasing. I think either solution is better than failing the mission repeatedly because youre competing against an unknown number of other players who inevitably refuse to cooperate.
  19. ImmortalExile

I thought the Northern Wilds were just ONE starting area for the Exiles? I may be wrong...
  20. Zap-Robo

As I recall, the Human starter zone. Though I may be misremembering something.