1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will i be able to see the top instances?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Yamikun, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Yamikun

Yamikun New Cupcake

So this is something that has always bothered me with MMO's. . Depending on my schedule there are times i can play to no end and times i can spare little time but i don't want to be left out of the game. . If i can only play a couple of hours a day i can't expect to have the best loot available but i want be able to see the content.

I don't like the "free loot for everyone" mentality that seems to be the new thing in mmos but i also don't like to be banned from an instance because i don't play 16 hours a day. .I want to be able to go for a full run even for worthless items but be able to see the inside. Its understandable to not be able to get that +10 Oppenheimer from the dungeon but being unable to see what lies behind that instance door because x guild needs you to play y hours a day to allow you in their raid really annoys me.

I like to see the designed world when i play a game. Even if i know a path is a dead end i will still go there to see if there is something nice and being completelly locked out of content dissapoints me. Its not just about the loot but the exploration. Is there a design system in place that allows you to visit the top content for very low (compared to the real thing) rewards but still run through the dungeon? Or even something like an exploration drone that spawns a neutral drone in the dungeon that can just scout the place.
  2. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

No. For dungeons, you'll be able to complete them. If they are too hard for you in LFD, put a guild group together to see it. For raids, they are not offering this (at least at this time). YouTube or joining a guild for when you have more time is the way to go.
  3. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

If you mean the raids then you will prolly need to get good they are meant to be hard for the hardcore however they are 20 and 40 man raids im sure you could find your way in with a pug group at some point

If your worried about story at all there will be a episodic single player story that everyone will get to exsperience and the main story has nothing to do with the raids so you wont miss out that way
  4. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

No you won't, but don't start throwing toys around just yet.

40 mans will be exclusive content and there also won't be a "looking for raid" but a different approach has been taken on more ways than just making that raid content exclusive.

Generally the reason why people want to see the top content is because it's directly linked to the story of the game and so in other mmo's, if you done all the solo and smaller group content you want to raid because you want to know how it all ends, in game and not on some video.

For that reason, story elements in raids are kept to a minimal, they will be linked but the story will unfold much more on levels everyone can access in solo dungeons.

The other end of the spectrum is loot and while i agree that people that don't raid don't need raid loot to progress that sentiment is shared by the developers but it is also met with an answer, you'll have your own solo progression gear armor that will be beneficial to you in your solo gameplay.

But yes if you wish to see the raids you'll need to find a dedicated guild and you'll need to dedicated yourself to that guild especially for 40 man raids as their stance on that is hardcore and they are going for that market and not doing a WoW 2.0 accessibility to all content approach on raids.

Raids will also not be nerfed until they are no longer relevant at that point they will nerf them and make them more accessible for the rest of the playing population.
    Gronky and Afrotech like this.
  5. Yamikun

Yamikun New Cupcake

I'm not really conserned about the difficulty i think i am a fairly good gamer i am concerned about the numbers needed. A 20-40 man raid is not something you can really organise and successfully complete by shouting in general unless even that raid scales in difficulty. A 20 man group might be able to be assebled by LFD but if the raid has the same difficulty thats supposed to challenge 20 people communicating with voice i doubt there is even a chance the group will progress far.

I am not saying the raid should be easier by default for a pug(while retaining the same loot table) but it would be nice if it had an easier setting for much lower loot so that people could experience the area. I don't care about the difficulty or the loot but i want to be able to get in and see whats inside. I don't only see as content what i'm guided to when an npc says go do this in that area. Everyplace you can go is part of the content, and being left out, unable to see an area at all really bugs me.

Using an example of wow pre-expansions, i used to play with a small guild of friends and people we got to know in-game over time. It wasn't an issue of skill as it was with numbers. It was downright impossible to assemble 40 people on at the same time. As a result i was left with the choise of either ditching everyone and going solo with a bigger guild or staying out of the end game content i chose the second and as a result didn't see much of the content back then.

Edit: It not about the story or the fights. I can see them from a video online. Its about the design of the place. A 40 man raid is bound to be massive. A place where 40 people run around slaughtering things. A lot of work will probably be put in the area and it will probably be something visually pleasing. Thats what i want to see, the area not the encounter and a video of a 40 man raid will be just "run from point A to point B, kill boss" and on to the next one. There is no attention to the details of the place

TL;DR: I think there should be a way for people to explore a dungeon even without the loot rewards. Especially in a game that has an explorer path xD.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Oke....this just screams ''I've never heard of guilds before''

In WoW we had no problem making 25 man raids full, so why would 20 mans be any different???

Oke the 40 I can see, but why use terms like ''shouting in general'' and ''LFD''......just make an agreement between 2 guild and fill up your 40 man raid with enough raiders that are serious about it and use voice chat etc.
    Aldamar and Six like this.
  7. Yamikun

Yamikun New Cupcake

That part was kind of an answer to inukeu saying you'll find your way with pug. Maybe I have been phrasing this wrong. I don't want to fight in the dungeon I want to see the inside. Maybe this would be better put somewhere as a suggestion since the question has been answered. I want a mechanic (thus the scout drone idea in my original post) That allows me to explore the inside of a high level area not fight it. I just drifted off that point when I mentioned the easier version raid. (if it was easier I would have had more chances to explore it)
    BlueDragon18 likes this.
  8. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

The current design is that you can see top end content in two ways:

A) Be in a top end guild.

B) Wait until the content is completely outdated and trivialized.

This is close to what Jeremy last said about what your asking.
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

so - you'd like something kinda like the solo/duo instances in Rift?
  10. Ordos232

Ordos232 New Cupcake

The current design of 20- and 40-man exclusive content that caters specifically to players willing to invest time in bettering their characters is design gold in my opinion. Catering to the lowest common denominator got many sub-par-yet-popular MMOs to where they are today (meaning currently death-spiraling).
    Platelet and Livnthedream like this.
  11. Lucker McNoob

Lucker McNoob Cupcake

What's the point of even having content that is time consuming and require organization if you can just do it without those things? Raiding should be for organized raid guilds and noone else - there will be plenty of other exciting content to experience for those who don't have the time.

Myself included, but I rather not experience a few things than break the game design.
    Milamilou, Sapien and Livnthedream like this.
  12. Zyd

Zyd Cupcake

I'm going to say it once before someone throws something over my head: Spectator Mode for Raids (you can disable it in your group settings).
    Kataryna, Xevius, Gronky and 2 others like this.
  13. Lucker McNoob

Lucker McNoob Cupcake

Yeah, why not.
  14. Arsenic36

Arsenic36 New Cupcake

For 40 man raids, you basically have to be in a guild that has a schedule. Back in vanilla wow, I was in a guild that had no problem getting the 40 people. I guess most guilds will have about a core of 20-30 people that raid every time the guild raids. The other people will come from your guild that do not raid every time the guild raids, they are just there for fillers I guess you could say. Yes it's kinda of a dick thing to say but that's how my guild worked in early WoW.
    Kataryna likes this.
  15. Yamikun

Yamikun New Cupcake

That guy gets my point. I don't want content that caters to casual gameplay. I don't want to have any reward from the instanse if i don't work for it, i want to be able to see how the place is designed.
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

It's not a dick thing to say at all, in fact many times that's what "friends and family" rank is for and lots of people apply to guilds for just that rank and reason. Both parties have the understanding that the player cannot commit to a fixed schedule, but wants to be part of a guild environment and accepts the role of alternate raider.
  17. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

To what i understand of Wildstar and what i have seen in devspeaks, interviews and Wildstar Wednesdays there is some restrictions to what you get to see in the game unless you are willing to spend the time to do it all. This will not be like wow where you can see the entirety of the game even tho you are not willing to spend the time to get there. 40 man raiding is one of those cases, where if you dont have the gear, the organisational preferences or have ppl willing to carry you there is no way for you to see that content.

Tho im fairly certain lore wont be tied into raiding as much as it is in WoW for example. The solo elder game seems to cover most of the lore in Wildstar(dont qoute me on this its only a guess).

I understand your problem tho, i have friends who feel the same way. However i like this approach, it feels more oldschool where the developers didnt babysit the players and funneled them into all the content cause they had right to be there. It was more about if you have the time, the skill and the determination you will get there.
  18. dRakk

dRakk Cupcake

Exactly right, they've said in multiple interviews the story will progress through the solo content, and whilst raiding might let you learn a tiny bit more, nothing integral to the story will be discovered through raids
  19. Rafe

Rafe Cupcake

I found a good video that discuss several key elements that demonstrate why catering to casuals end up destroying otherwise good content, and specially make players get worse, and never improve.

!
    Platelet likes this.
  20. Yamikun

Yamikun New Cupcake

The points made in the video are valid. This is not something i want. Don't get me wrong i want the raids to be hard. I don't find joy in just hitting my keyboard with a hammer and killing the last boss. I was very excited back in wow when i got into a high end guild raid as a filler for an empty spot on AQ40 and even happier when i got praised (and rewarded with a spell tome for the next rank of frostbolt if i recall right) for suggesting to use a god-forsaken buff on a boss we had troubles with.

What i want for example is a side mission or part of a chain in order to unlock the raid that requires you to scout key points of the area before allowing you in. This would fit in in a sci-fi world as well. You have advanced technology at your disposal, it's not strange that you have to scout the area instead of charging in blindly.

You don't lose the insentive to play nor does this make the dungeon accessible to everyone. In order to experience the fights and get the best loot you still have to dedicate time and resourses to raiding as it should be but at the same time you are not completelly locked out of the area. You get to have a peak of what lies in store and this could even drive you to work harder in order to actually get to fight the bosses in there. This is a bridge between casual and hardcore gameplay, allowing people to see the cool and epic areas of the game firsthand but needing them to actually commit in order to fully experience what they have to offer
    Destrin likes this.