1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will i be able to see the top instances?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Yamikun, Jul 25, 2013.

1. CharonFellblade

CharonFellblade New Cupcake

I'm only entitled to what I work for. If that means I don't see the top tier raids...then I don't see the raids. No one owes me anything in any aspect of life (especially a video game) so it's silly for me to expect "welfare" gear because I can whine and moan. Get crackin' you bum, Nexus isn't going to save itself!

That's the nature-of-the-beast for MMOs
    WoodGoat likes this.
  2. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

The OP just wanted to see inside the raid, he is not asking to make it easy to complete... my god.

Text interpretation here = 0
    Baeldan and zarine like this.
  3. Pmizzrym

Pmizzrym Cupcake-About-Town

But I stopped playing after TBC
  4. Vaos

Vaos Cupcake

OP, you say you don’t want loot as if that fixes any concerns raiders would have, but loot has never been the only - or even primary - draw of raiding.
    Exactly, and this is true for raiding players also. That exploration and intrigue can be as much a reward for their long hours of play as the loot is - it feels really, really cool to forge deeper and deeper into otherwise unreachable territory. It feels epic and dangerous and exciting. That feeling is diminished when raids are something that players can see/play through easily, safely, and quickly.

I mean, there are arguments for and against an exclusive raid model, but if raids are exclusive then the raid instances themselves are very much a part of that. From what they've said about raids, Carbine appears to be going the exclusive route, at least at the outset.

(Personally, I think Carbine's stance of having exclusive raids but not having them contain important lore events or story conclusions sounds like a pretty reasonable compromise, but we'll see how things work out.)
    CharonFellblade likes this.
  5. CharonFellblade

CharonFellblade New Cupcake

I don't think raid equivalent gear should be able to be obtained anywhere but raids and *some* high level crafting. Gear from dungeons, world drops, rares etc should be high level "blue" gear (to those familiar with WoW) at the most. Am I alone on that?
  6. Xevius

Xevius Cupcake

Works for me. :up:
  7. AnotherJaggens

AnotherJaggens Cupcake-About-Town

Don't you worry, Yamikun. Haven't you heard? 40 mans are back!

You'll have all opportunity to do every endgame raid for loot and fun, no matter how much you farm and spend time on daily basis, because as we all remember 40ppl raids in Vanilla consisted of 20 people doing their best, 10 people being okay at most, and other 10 actually being afk or trolling everyone else on Ragnaros by imitating raid warnings.
    The Duck likes this.
  8. WoodGoat

WoodGoat Cupcake

While there were instances of players going afk or trolling during boss fights this was not a regular occurrence. 40 man raiding in WoW did present an opportunity for players to do less but Wildstar is a new game with different mechanics and we will have to see how it plays out.
  9. binzer

binzer Cupcake

These days there are lot of guilds raiding that aren't ultra hardcore, and only raid 2-4 times a week for a reasonable number of hours. Sure, you won't get any server firsts, but it's a nice option. I think there are a lot of people like me who used to be ultra-hardcore in WoW's earlier days, but now it's just not feasible due to real life commitments. That basically means that there is a large pool of dedicated and skilled players out there who love 40 man content, but will approach it with a slightly more casual attitude. If you want to experience all the content (rather than youtube-ing it) that's probably your best bet.
  10. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

Part of the pleasure and mystery of end game raids was getting to it and just seeing the loading screen and then exploring it. If you don't have the skill to get to it OR the time to achieve what's needed, then why should people get to it?

Raiding in WoW lost it's sense of prestige and mystery, and that is not just because of the multiple difficulties allowing for everyone do be in high quality gear. It's also to do with even seeing the place. For a long time I 'dreamed' of being in a top guild to experience high level content, and for a long time I've seen high level content. Towards the end of my time, my sense of achievement was greatly diminished when I see window lickers getting the same rewards (more or less) as I had, with half of the effort or knowledge.

Looking back, if the system were the same I would not have ever raided at the top level as there would be no reason to get there. But with the blocks in place, there was a great incentive to spur me from being a complete noob, to a strong player and that experience has made me into the competitive raider that I am.

Just because there are sections of the market who can't see content because of skill/time, it doesn't mean that everything to be changed to be made accessible because that diminishes the experience and achievement factor for all involved.
    Platelet likes this.
  11. Xevius

Xevius Cupcake

How do you feel about YouTube and its thousands of high level MMO content videos?

What would be so different about a "spectator" mode in WildStar?

The highly skilled players' achievements would still be there, and certainly not diminished. They will still get the server firsts, they'll still be the ones actually clearing the content.

Think of it as MMO voyeurism. People will still oooh and ahhh at your accomplishments; they'll still ogle and admire your gear and skill. Don't worry, you'll still be hardcore and among the elite.
  12. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

I'd seen Old Trafford hundreds of times before I went there but holy <REDACTED> it was way more immense and atmospheric than I've seen on TV. Similarly, the Youtube videos of Nihilum doing BT were nowhere near as cool as setting foot in the instance and exploring it for the first time. That exploration is part of the package and the mystery of high end raiding. It should be something that is desired for when you're not in it, and something you should be proud of once you are.
    binzer likes this.
  13. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

This kind of makes me a little sad. I usually avoid joining a guild of any kind.
  14. Metasine

Metasine New Cupcake

I think the OP hits on a very good, perhaps sub-conscience thought. Some people may want to see content in terms of a physical look (loading screen), or exploration (running around). It would be an interesting idea if in some future game, a single person or small group 5-10 could complete activities in the vicinity of the raid area, without actually doing the raid. I.E. A smaller group goes on some sabotage mission in some anti-chamber of the raid. Or a single player helps faction X that is associated with the raid.
  15. achesoma

achesoma Cupcake

So I have to ask. Why does every bit of content HAVE to be seen by everybody? One reward of raiding IS being able to see content not everyone gets to see. It's not just about the gear, even though I'm fully aware that plays a big part. By the time this game releases, I won't have the time for hardcore raiding, and I'm totally fine with not seeing certain areas because there will be other things for me to do. It seems pretty clear that Carbine is making raiding for the 1%, the hardest of the hardcore. Even some hardcore raiding guilds won't be able to complete and see all areas. Even just making it visually available to everyone and their cousin trivializes it to some extent. People either don't realize or forget how exhausting raiding can be, especially 40-mans.
  16. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

Hopefully not.

You should be able to see it once the content is not current and is easier due to better gear/higher level.

That's how it should be imo.
  17. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

During burning crusade it was very common to see people that would only log in to raid, they were good skilled players that did not have much time to play, but they would always show up and raid with the guild for 1-2hours during the scheduled raids. i dont see why the same is not possible on WS Maybe the 40man requiremend can be a issue, it really worries me that raids are never going to start/end on time because of this
  18. RazorHed

RazorHed Cupcake

Well I do want content that caters to casual players, and you know what? it doesnt have to be raiding.

If the only thing to do at max level IS raiding as it is in WoW , then it needs to be content for every player no matter the type. Playing the game through all however many levels there are and then all of a sudden being basically told , well you can't continue to improve your toon the way these 5% of people can because you dont have the time or coordination is a slap in the face to the other 95% of your player base.

Give me SOMETHING to do at max level that allows me to slowly keep improving my toon, anything , really , ill do that instead . I don't want it to be easy , but if gear is the only improvement possible at max level then it better give me the option of getting dam good gear.

EverQuest epic weapons comes to mind .
    Just cut out any drops that would come from raids, but make other collectibles for that new piece of quested gear rare , on rare mobs . Make my effort the time I have to put in searching , and competing for these rare mobs. I promise , if done correctly , I won't be getting welfare epics, and I won't be getting them faster than you.

Just give the rest of us something challenging to do that is either soloable or group oriented , but make it just as time consuming and costly as raiding. And not just daily quest grinding! sooooo boring
  19. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

After Gaffney has went out of his way to comment on how underserved that demographic is and that they have a solution in mind, one would think you would stop begging.
  20. RazorHed

RazorHed Cupcake

My post covers most MMOs as they exist today. It isn't BEGGING to wan't more than the shaft casual people usually get . I truly hope Wildstar can pull off this miracle that allows casual people to have something important to do at max level that lets them continue playing without coming to that abrupt halt at max level that raider inclined people don't encounter. Thanks:)