1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will i HAVE to craft?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by ReapRHTB, May 28, 2013.

1. ReapRHTB

ReapRHTB New Cupcake

I HATE!!!!! crafting. i hate trade skills and all of the mining and farming mats, i hate it. So my question is! Do i have to craft to be the best PvE or PvP player? Do the crafting careers give bonuses or items that only allow that crafter to use? In WoW to be the best tank i needed to be Miner and Jewelcrafter. Will that be the case? Or will i be able to farm gold and just buy everything?
  2. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

We don't know enough about crafting atm but in a nutshell....Yes you have to craft
  3. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Woah, no, we don't know enough about crafting atm but in a nutshell... No you don't have to craft.

Crafting will be a legitimate elder game content for players, thereby not being a requirement of every player. This also means that some gear can only be gained from crafters, so you will have to buy some gear. At the moment there's no allusion toward giving bonuses that non-crafter's can't get. Except the bonuses which are specific to crafting.
    JoeDragon, MMOPapa and Kataryna like this.
  4. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

Can you point me towards a big name MMO that crafting has not been a requirement for raiding?
  5. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Rift.

You needed the by products of crafting in order to raid effectively but that could all be bought with cash. There was no tangible benefit of having a profession though.
    Kataryna likes this.
  6. Crovax32

Crovax32 New Cupcake

World of Warcraft. Everquest. Aion. Everquest 2. Vanguard. Final Fantasy XI. Wait. I don't think I know of ONE MMO (Major/big name or otherwise) that requires crafting for raiding.
    Mudfin, MMOPapa and Kataryna like this.
  7. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Rift? I dont recall any crafting bonuses.

and wow....I've never been much of a crafter and Raided all throughout Bc, Wotlk and Cata. The Bonuses were so minimal it really made no difference. Im sure at the very highest level of the top guilds in the world that Crafting bonuses are utilised, but I have never seen them mandatory or ever had them enforced by any raiding guilds.
    Pang likes this.
  8. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

I forget Rift is a big name in MMO's, I stand corrected.
  9. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I always felt there should be more to Rifts crafting though. It seemed like a more shallow version of WoWs crafting. If possible.
  10. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

Min-Maxing. Any decent raiding guild in WoW required you to have the correct crafting professions.
  11. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

He asked if there was a big name MMO that didn't require crafting to raid.
  12. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

I can not even recall what profession I had in that game...I just remember my two headed turtle mount :inlove:
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

While you don't NEED crafting professions to enter a raid, you won't be raiding in any meaningful way without them.
    Thrice likes this.
  14. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I'd have to look up the quote from Gortok, but the idea is that crafting as an aspect is a very important part of the game. However, you personally don't have to craft. From how I understood it, you gain no personal min/max benefits from being a tradeskiller, which is unlike WoW, which makes me happy. That way people who want to craft can craft and those who don't want to craft don't have to. The only 'crafting requirement' would to get goods and services from crafters, but that's strictly player commerce.
  15. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

From gortok in the elder game itemization thread:

Phyllo, CRB_Gortok, Kataryna and 2 others like this.
  16. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I believe crafting is going to be a big part of the game, so skipping it isn't advisable, that being said if you're pure raiding and have other people to make consumables for you etc, I can't say for certain what the downsides of not crafting might be. Except for the early gear advantage ofc.
  17. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

So it is not an advantage that you become a crafter to use that recipe you get from raid rep? Otherwise you have to give/sell that recipe to someone then have them craft it?

You do not HAVE to craft but this quote shows to me that it is important that you do.
  18. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Yup... Wildstar. Wildstar is breaking the mold on a lot of things.
  19. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Which is why I answered with Rift, because it didnt have crafting bonuses needed in raiding.

Edit: oh, I quoted you by mistake in my original post instead of the OP. Sorry for the confusion.
  20. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

Every MMO says that...