1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will i HAVE to craft?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by ReapRHTB, May 28, 2013.

1. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

Important and necessity are two different words completely. For example, clean air is important, breathing is necessity. :coffee:
    BonusStage likes this.
  2. CRB_Gortok

CRB_Gortok Carbine Econ Designer

So this is an interesting side effect of the way these economies are set up. In an MMO you can create wealth out of thin air. People who just want to get through crafting are willing to create money (farm) to buy mats to make stuff to level up the profession. Then they dump these items on the AH. Additionally, the conversion of mats to finished product is pretty instantaneous, so people are willing to do it for super low margins of profit.

We have tried to combat some of these things and also address the profitability in general. Basically we aren't forcing people to craft. Why? Because they are making crafting less fun for people who enjoy it. If you are a crafter spirit. This means less competition.

We also allow for some specialization and require you to make some exclusive choices. This means you will be better at crafting some things than other things. This means you can find your niche where you are better than 90% of other crafters with the same profession. Hopefully this is where you are profitable or at least good (good usually makes profit).

We are also are planning a form of continuing progression for the Elder Game. If you truly specialize in one thing, then you definitely have an advantage in that thing. This is in the document approval phase of design right now, but I think the general plan is solid.

Usually the only profitable parts of tradeskills are the niche or rare recipes. Things that other people don't have. In trying to prevent everyone from having all the things, we are trying to make more niche areas where people can carve out their own space and be profitable.
  3. Ennui

Ennui Cupcake

thats perfectly understandable to be hesitant about talking outside your area, but that is an interesting guideline. but it gives me something to theory craft with at least. thanks for the answer. Now i just have to guesstimate how many stats between milestones haha, and i know you won't speak to that i'm sure.
  4. MMOPapa

It's not just a matter of competition, from my perspective, it's also a matter of 'value' or 'worth'. I feel less valued by the community if there is 10,000 people with the same crafting schematics/recipes as me. So I, for one, definitely appreciate not forcing the uninterested mass into our line of work. :coffee:
    Crovax32 likes this.
  5. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

i agree, it feels very bad to level craft just for that 2% DPS incresse, since no one is interested on your crafts.
    Crovax32, Isa and MMOPapa like this.
  6. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I knew I was going to get a terrible semantics response as soon as I posted. Do you know what you actually need to raid? Two max level toons; no gear, no abilities, no class comps, no role comps and no one else. Are you going to clear trash with that set up no ofcourse not.
    Sure a casual guild can meander through normal modes with slapdash gear random class comps vauguely the right role comp. Are they going down a single boss in hard modes they sure as <REDACTED> aren't.
    What do you need to actually have a chance at completing a hardmode raid?
  7. MMOPapa

I can foresee the direction this conversation would go should it continue and wish to opt out. Thank you for sharing your perspective with me. :up:
    Yinello likes this.
  8. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

I'm just curious how the niche's will be balanced against one another. A lot of MMO's already have rare recipes, but the way they handle it is either the recipes are rare drops from World Bosses or Raids (Gated Content) or theyre just ridiculously expensive, so while there are niche's persay it's possible for one personal to pursue practically every niche in a given tradeskill. I think my main area of concern is how the benefits of each niche level against one another in terms of practical benefits, economic value and difficulty of gain. My concern is that a particularly profitable niche will arise (See Strawberries during Halloween circa GW2) leading to everyone chasing a quick buck and flooding the market with a particular commodity.

I guess in summary, the questions I have are as follows.

1. How will the various niche's be balanced against one another?
    2. Will niche's be gated in any way?
    3. Are there any safeguards in place to prevent flooding of the market?
  9. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I'm glad we agree that you're wrong then.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  10. Iggy Winters

Iggy Winters New Cupcake

I'm going to start out saying I only read the first couple of pages.

I share some of the worries there, and there isn't much information about the crafting and what it contributes at the moment.

What I hated about WoW was that to be considered viable, you had to take professions. The extra enchantments (Inscription), the extra gem slot (Blacksmithing), the exclusive gems (Gem... smithing was it?), they all added quite a significant amount of stats, -almost- to a point of having another piece of gear. I just gritted my teeth, spent some gold for mats, farmed for those I wasn't willing to pay for and got it up to 450/450 (not sure if that's been increased now). Then I made an alt. /groan

Engineering was kinda different though wasn't it? Had some interesting gadgets and equipment. Instead of just giving flat stats it added utility in some form. I remember before Alliance got access to Shamans, we had to kite Razorgore's adds around with speed pots and rocket boots. Horde just spammed Earthbind totem. The repair bills were fun, especially since the boss right after that requires a line-up of tanks to die.
  11. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Look for CRG_Gortok posts. He is listed on the list of carbine folks who post here. His posts are really informative as far as crafting , economy and other such details go.
  12. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

Bonusstage, thanks for asking that question and I'm really glad that Gortok was able to answer it.

Dualist, would you be able to supply some additional informational on your questions? Trying to wrap my head around them as I'm just overall curious about crafting. With the third question about flooding, is there anything that Carbine is able to do except either not use crafted goods for events (which I would not like to see but open to discussion on it) or use a cool down on goods to limit them.

I'm very glad to see specializations being in the game and glad there is quite a few. Seems I need to spend some time reading about professions to catch up on all this goodness.
  13. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

This sounds pretty great. Crafting in MMO's have pretty much let me down since SWG. Vanilla Wow was somewhat interesting with specializations and cool quests to learn the specialization, but they have since dumbed it down to a point where it is very boring.

I'm very interested in learning what crafts/Specializations will be available, as I'm sure that it's going to be a really hard choice for me. But regardless, I can't wait to be the go-to guy if you want a Stat Capped Projectile Weapon or Flawless Oak Table made for your house. :p
  14. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

[​IMG]
    Azhdaha, Androssi, Khrusky and 6 others like this.
  15. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
    Androssi, Khrusky and Shalanigh like this.
  16. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

What I'm hoping is that you may not need to craft. But that you will absolutely need people who do :)
  17. purplestreak

purplestreak New Cupcake

Totally agree with you!

This is probably what I'm more worried about more than anything. I like crafting like cheesecake, and it's usually where I spend the majority of my time when I play MMOs. Nothing really depresses me more when I spend all that time with it and find out no one really wants what I made cause they can get comparable stuff from an instance or a raid for free! I think that's where the balance has to be too. I LOVE the niche idea, but I feel it won't really work if the crafted things aren't attractive enough.

People really shouldn't have to be forced to craft if they like, but I also feel like, for people who love it, we have to feel some reward for it. People coming to me for stuff usually makes me happier than trying to sell on a flooded market.
    SilentJ, BonusStage and Crovax32 like this.
  18. Anhrez

Anhrez Cupcake-About-Town

This will be an interesting balance but I think forcing choices in crafting is no different than forcing choices in race, class or path. If the logic and lore holds true for them then should work for crafting.

Thanks for the post Gortok.
    I had posted on twitter and a few other places asking if the mentality of the 1% was coming to crafting, from your answers here, on the CBC thread and others I do feel like the team at Carbine are taking Professions and the Economy seriously. To many this is as important (if not more) than raiding. Your comments are similar to raiders hearing about 'firsts' and '40 mans' from the concept of creating a challenging activity with purpose. Now ..... if we can get a little peak under the hood of the specific options that would carry us through for a while :geek:
  19. WildHawk

WildHawk Cupcake

as long as crafting wont be that complex as in FireFall im cool :/
    Androssi likes this.
  20. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

Document returned.

Gortok comments:
    Minimal.

Gortok edits:
    Minimal.

Success chance significantly increased.