1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will paths effect Elder game Raiding/PvP Arena or Open World

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Sulli, May 26, 2013.

1. Sulli

Sulli New Cupcake

I've been pondering this for a good 4 hours or so, trying to find information that, the path I will choose will effect how I can perform in Raiding or PvP, I've found no information to support that it will (apart from abilities you can unlock? if I am correct), and no information that it won't.

Does anyone know if it will because if so I'll have to give it a good thinking over.

Another question, and this is going to sound like a real stupid one, but soldiers are no better at fighting then say, a settler is are they?.... \*~*/
  2. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Open World yes, some paths will open paths unique to them or have quests unique to them, they will also have skills that work on Open World.

Raids same deal, paths will have usefull stuff to do inside raids, opening paths and finding stuff that wont be acessible without that path in the group.

if it will affect combat i dont know, also i dont know if their skills will be usable in arenas, Settelers might have stuff to do in warplots, but iam just guessing.
  3. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

has that actually been stated somewhere? I guess with 40 people you can be sure there will be someone with each path, but .. idk how I feel about having to have path stuff in order to do 40 mans.
  4. Sulli

Sulli New Cupcake

I'm fine with having paths that you need to have in dungeons etc, like for example. The scientist has to crack the code to open the secret door, and only he can do it. Or the explorer has to scale to the top of a cave, to open a secret lever which lets people across a bridge or something like that. But, what I'm hoping is the game changes depending on the paths you have, what if you have 5 buddies who all picked the soldier class, or the explorer class, will you be able to still do these dungeons, or is it necessary for you to all have different classes? I know they have said in the DevSpeak video that it can be fun to have two people of the same path, race each other etc. But when it comes to actual content, Raids, Dungeons, Arena. I'm wondering how this path system will play out. Will it be un-balanced and make it so you will need a certain person for each thing, or will it change depending on which paths you have in your group.
  5. BonusStage

i dont think having one of each path on a 40 man should be a issue.

also i dont think every raid will have one thing for everyone to do, especially not with dynamic content.

the thing is i have read so much information about this game in the last few weeks about this game every thing is getting scrambled on my read.

there are things like Settelers can create a respawn building by a boss in case of a wipe.
    pretty sure every path has something usefull, that setteler building might even be a consumable he can sell on the ah.
    too soon to tell.

it dosent botehr me, if anything it adds to the game imho
  6. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

I really hope there is path interaction in instances, would make PvE much more interesting and could even benefit PvP (as long as people know what they're getting into when they pick a path).

PvP Examples could be Scientists have to hack terminals to get bonuses, Explorers get to take shortcuts through the map, Soldiers get to defend flags and kill things, and Settlers can set up large "defensive" cannons.
    Bezier likes this.
  7. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

It either needs to be trivial in nature (a scientist in the raid means you can access a room full of lore, but only that), or be an easier, sooner alternative. Such would be an explorer opening up a path to a boss that usually can't be accessed until further in the raid.
    Mudfin likes this.
  8. Sabre070

Why can it not be something complex? Or even required?

There are only 4 paths.. it's pretty unlikely that you don't have 1 of each in a raid. In dungeons it would be pretty cool to see some different content too.
  9. Jarinolde

Paths are not supposed to be required, as it is a choice on what kind of content you like more (whereas class is a choice of combat so it is required).

Making paths become mandatory, especially in a raid environment, would regress us back to the many problems World of Warcraft had early on, such as the only good priests were dwarfs, and if you were horde and wanted to tank you went tauren. This would also lead to you either having a much larger roster than you should need (to allow for enough of certain class/path combinations like early on) or having players of your core team play multiple characters to fill out that need.

EDIT: I guess I should say it's not a matter of making sure you have a settler or a scientist, or having enough soldiers, it's more about your now forcing players to do something for the sake of earning or keeping their raid spot.
  10. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

SWTOR had this. If you had a certain profession you could skip trash and go straight to a boss, or unlock some extra treasure, depending on the dungeon.
  11. Sulli

Sulli New Cupcake

This is what I'm worried about, since they're releasing hardly any info about PvP so far, I'm worried while creating a character we won't know what the bonuses will be, and if they do affect PvP greatly, god help me :<
  12. Tubesssbm

Tubesssbm New Cupcake

From what I've gathered, the 2 minute cooldowns from the path abilities are a big deal. You better believe your going to use the extra crit chance ability from Scientist all the time in raids. I'm actually worried the path abilities will effect your end game to the extent that people will pick a path solely based on the path abilities they gain from said path.
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

are you saying that you are concerned that info wont be around on their website, or are you saying that you dont want to read up on things before you make a choice?
  14. Sabre070

Luckily we're still a long way off of release so there's still plenty of time for more info.

Having 1 person of each path isn't going to be forcing people to do anything to keep their raid spot.. there's 39 other people, odds are that another one of them has the same path.
  15. Sulli

Sulli New Cupcake

I'm saying I don't think that info will be on the website, they're not going to be like:

Right take explorer if you're a stalker because you move faster (or w.e), and it makes you op as sh*t trust me guys go explorer.
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I think any "bonuses" that you get for paths will be revealed, I dont think they will tell everyone about PvE bonuses but then "hide" PvP bonuses from everyone. If its a bonus, then they will tell people about it.

Having it effect PvP "greatly" is something I think will be complained about no matter what it is, if anyone at all loses a 1 v 1 battle, they will shout "op" and say they were not informed there would be "op" specs in the game.
    Its a "worry" that can't be satisfied in any game.
  17. Jarinolde

As far as accessing locations like having an explorer discover a room that you need to find in order to activate a certain boss... yea that's not a big deal, but still. There are going to be people that feel forced to then pick explorer, just because they believe it'll increase their odds of being picked to go raid (and rightly so).

This is just in a raid setting though, the reality of not having someone with that path is actually very likely to happen in a dungeon group. Sure the group finder tool could add to ensure that one of each path is available, but that increases queue times and does not help those who choose to do pre-made non queued groups (which will happen if there is no reward for queuing up, as it should be).

Then you pile on the concerns people are having about path specific stuff like the abilities, and chances are high that what is supposed to be an optional yet fun aspect of the game is ruined.
    Naunet and Sulli like this.
  18. Sulli

Sulli New Cupcake

+100000000000000

This is what I'm concerned about the most, adding rewards that effect PvP or PvE just ruins it, adding rewards that mean nothing, or little to nothing, is ok. As someone can just choose what they sounds most pleasing to them, not what makes them more OP or powerful, etc.
    Naunet likes this.
  19. BonusStage

Why the hell would they be forced to pick explorer when all the otehr paths will also have unique equal benefits to them?

and no, being a explorer will not incresse your odds of being picked, if out of 40 people there isnt a single explorer it just means that the path is broken and no one is intrested on being one.
  20. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

This makes no sense, you are in a guild that is raiding hard content and will more than likely have several of each path in its raid, and if its a guild that is looking for a specific path, thats no different than current wow guilds looking for a certain class or build ( tank ) for their raid.

dungeons are q'd for, so there would only be an issue of the other 4 people kicking you, in which you could q right up again.