1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will paths effect Elder game Raiding/PvP Arena or Open World

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Sulli, May 26, 2013.

1. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

They stated that the paths shouldn't be required for a certain class. E.g A warrior shouldn't be required to take the explorer path for example.

Having said that, it was also stated the paths should make some encounters easier. So read into that as you will.

I'll say this much though, if one path has a damage reduction or a massive heal or something that increases damage by a flat amount etc etc, then guess what, yea they will affect endgame everything.
  2. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

It's not that they are forced, it's that they feel forced. Which can be just as bad.

And I will likely never win the lottery, but the chance is still there. This chance is even greater with guilds in raiding when you consider that guilds will always have turnover.

Then we're right back to the problem World of Warcraft has been facing for a long time.
  3. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

why would they feel forced if all paths offer benefits? why do you assume t hat there will be a small ammount of any given path, and why do you think people will have more chances for getting into a group for picking a path?

20-40 people is a lot of people, if among these there isnt at least one of each path, it is because the path is not interesing.
    it's not that there will be a path will be able to help on every single raid, all paths will be usefull on diferent things, maybe some things will require a path combo?
    i do not know, but it dosent bother me.
  4. Jarinolde

First a disclaimer: a lot of what I've been saying is not my own beliefs. A lot of this, I've come to believe (until I'm proven otherwise) is psychological (which may be why it affects neither of us).

I don't claim to have a working knowledge of psychology, but players may look at two abilities, each from different paths (all this is an example by the way) but function similarly. They'll do terrible 3rd grade math or run it through a simulation (both are equally bad) and find that ability from path A does 10 more dps than ability from path B, and they'll immediately go with path A because it's an increase. Nevermind the fact that the amount may be so small its negligible.
  5. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

i dont think the paths will affect combat directly like this
  6. Jarinolde

But we don't know for sure, which is why there have been threads bringing up that concern.
  7. Sulli

Sulli New Cupcake

Jarinolde is my brain put into words, hoh hoh.

Even a small difference can change how people see the game, at a competitive level. Look at Humans in WoW. They get a CC Breaker/Remover/Dispel ability, a free trinket. Which allows them to have more damage then anyone else in arena, because they can take a second DPS trinket, instead of having to have this trinket which lets them get out of what they want, they get it just for being human.

http://wow.realmpop.com/eu.html This is an example of what I'm talking about, if you look at how many people have rolled human across EU, compared to other races. The difference is huge.

Now if you look at the Horde side, you see Blood elves dominating the Horde side of things, this is mainly because people have chosen them because they like the style, not because of their racials. They actually have one of the worst racials for horde.

Now if we put this logic into Wildstar, if say, the explorer has an ability that removes snares or something, and no other path has that sort of thing, what path do you think people will play for PvP?, this is what I'm trying to get across, if something like this does happen, a fun, exciting feature of the game. Instead forces people without even meaning to, to go down these different paths that they might not even want to go down, just to get that bonus.