1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will progression be reset with every expansion?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Rokiyo, Jun 1, 2013.

1. epiksheep

epiksheep New Cupcake

A excellent point. I think if they can increase the content in a non linear way that would be best. It does not solve the problem of increasing the amount of specific content without creating a growing barrier between a new player to that content and a the furthest along content which is why people seem to like the idea of a 'catch up' of some sort. I understand that the idea is that people don't skip the content otherwise why not just wait until you can skip over in a few months, but likewise if your raid is stuck because they only raid 3 times a month due to conflicting schedules then it encourages people to leave the guild. Maybe a single raider uses several guilds as jumping platforms to reach the highest content. If that is what they find is fun, great, more power to them. Most likely people will want to play with their friends, however, which discourages leaving and joining new guilds so quickly. While playing world of warcraft there were several guilds you could 'buy off' to run through certain content, acting as sort of raid mercenaries to get you through. alternately raid lockouts can make a guild spend more time doing previous content, attempting to bring up a second group of raiders (A great idea as a guild leader as the competition for primary raid spots will encourage people do their best all the time). Ultimately, a flat, sprawling endgame means that if players take a break they come back where they left off, not adjusted for inflation. Clearing cutting edge content a year ago may be two raids behind, and your guild mates may choose to leave you behind so you don't slow them down. It is a series of compromises.

Alternately, if Carbine decides to increase level cap and add new zones in expansions, one method that will prevent raiders from losing equity is already implemented: Socketed crafting. For those of you who don't know, much like the SWTOR system, gear will have socketed slots to fit in nodes. The nodes will give a certain amount of stats, but require power for each node. More stats costs more power, and some nodes can be added to give extra power. Taking this into account, new gear after an expansion could have more power but weaker nodes then last content's raid gear (allowing raiders to salvage their nodes for a power boost on the new gear), or they could have less power but better stats for lower power requirements (allowing raiders to get better stats on their epic pieces and have some extra power to socket more) or they could have extra sockets (allowing people to boost the power via sockets and use their epic raid nodes). All of this would give advantage in the earlier zones of a new area while leveling off, and allowing people to feel like the time clearing that one last raid before the expansion was not wasted.

Equity is an interesting thing, but it was looked at only Statically in that article. If you had gotten a horse, then taken a year off and came back and everyone had horses, should you feel your horse was less special? I can understand wanting to make hard work achievable by anything other then an equal amount of hard work. I can also sympathize that once ahead, a high powered guild can not be caught up to if progression requires all the content to be cleared. If only five guilds down the super secret special boss before the new content, it is pretty sure one of those five guilds will get the world first on downing the new stuff.

TL;DR - everyone has a different preference for what content people should be able to do. There is no way carbine is going to make everyone happy, but they will do SOMETHING. If you don't like the specific way they do it, maybe try looking at it from another point of view. Everyone has a valid point, so if someone else likes it, maybe it isn't so terrible.
  2. frogbound

frogbound New Cupcake

What saddened me in WoW was the fact, that the older content got irrelevant.
    You could just skip everything and focus on the small new content instead of stopping at 60/70/80 and so on to live through the content.
    I always did that by myself. Stopping at the max level of expansion X, stopping my EXP and only continuing onward after I cleared all the content - at least once.
    I think forcing people to be unable to continue leveling until they clear all conent that is relevant for that expansion is something I would like to see.
    It not only gives people who love the content so much, that they wanna stay but it also gives everyone a chance to see it. For Alt characters, there is still their main characters buddies who can boost you through if you really wanna but you could also tackle the conent with people on your level the way it was supposed to be.

Sure the talent trees and spells changed and introduction of certain items made it easier to go through, but why not?
    An RPG should be a journey, a story about your character and all the things you experience.
    Where is the fun in facing Bosses you never saw before when you will likely kill them without a proper challenge?
    It feels like squashing ants at the side of the road. For some it may be fun to feel like god but for others it's just sad and boring. I think most of the people are the latter.

A feature that fascinates me the most is SCALING.
    It may either scale your gear down or the conent up but if you really want a challenge then this is a good option to give everyone the same difficult experience.

You don't need to introduce 5 trivial levels just to annoy the <REDACTED> out of some people. As far as I know, most people I played with hated leveling, yet I did not.
    So why didn't they just introduce all those massive areas without increasing the max level? Because the world would feel empty? because people would be spread out too far?
    I don't think so. The world felt empty anyways. LFG/LFR queues made people jump around in main cities all day, no one was really forced to go out and explore or move towards the dungeon entrance - except for raids - and even then people would just vanish through the portal for hours.

For me a world filled with people (not OVERFILLED) is something I'd really appreciate.
    Actually seeing other players in an MMO outside of the city.
    You can engange in combat with them, help them out, talk to them, or completely ignore them - if that is what you want.
    But at least it feels populated.
    People running about fighting monsters or other players here and there. Sitting on top of a hill watching the spectacle with your friends or foes and laughing while betting on the outcome.
    I always enjoyed seeing outdoor raid bosses, not just to interfere and try to wipe people but also to just sit there and watch people go at it.
    Just a normal spectator and bystander. Seeing the wonders of the world and a more or less huge group of heroes tackling one of the great evils in this world, wondering what it would feel like to have this in our real lives, while being powerless yourself, chanting and cheering for the fearless heroes until they defeat evil and come back victorious.
  3. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

This would absolutely murder post-release growth of the game. It will become increasingly difficult for new players to progress and catch up with older players if they have to go through every single point of out-dated progression that no one else is doing anymore.
  4. frogbound

frogbound New Cupcake

I was doing outdated content every week. In fact I was doing ALL content every week - if possible - with level appropriate characters and if not I'd ask around if someone wanted to join in and get boosted.
    People will always do out-dated stuff. Not all - but some
  5. ebakrans

ebakrans Cupcake

What if there was some way to use the level/gear scaling system to make old raids relevant. No matter what your gear is in whatever expansion it gets scaled appropriately down to that raids level. To make up for the the fact that it is old content maybe there could be vendors that would take old content gear and give you something for current content. Not straight gear perhaps but maybe rare crafting mats, components for the upgrade system or tokens to buy current-ish gear.

This way raids wouldn't be easy mode or solo-able even after a couple of expansions and they could still be useful to run as an alternative way to get gear. I mean if I could go back and run Ulduar or BT and have them be challenging and give some sort of useful reward I would love to do that.