1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will the game be adertised enough to have a good lauch...

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Xalon, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

I certainly hopethey amp up advertisement near gamescom or pax. Put it on every <REDACTED>ing games website. Get this game out there 80% of the people Ive talked to about it didnt know it existed, and i'd say most of them have become fans.
  2. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Tbh, I don't feel the hype, like there was with SWTOR before it came out, maybe people are getting more and more skeptical. It may need more advertisement though, but this close to release and the game is already in beta, makes you think.

I spoke to like 3 people(MMO players), but yep, pretty much. :p
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Advertising is far to expensive to be really trying to build hype yet.
  4. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

EA spent MILLIONS on SW:TOR marketing, let alone it already had the SW IP behind it. GW2 had the success of GW1 behind it. WS is a fresh IP from a new* studio, it will take a lot of word of mouth and events to spread the hype.

That being said, we're a fansite of a game that isn't even in a public beta and we've got 10K members and Carbine massively underestimated how many signups they'd get, it's not doing too badly :p
    Sonntam likes this.
  5. Fornix

Fornix Cupcake

SWTOR was a launch on an entirely different level however. SWTOR had 3 things running for itself which caused it to have a great number of followers, right from the start:

- Star Wars
    - Knights of the Old Republic
    - BioWare

In that essence, SWTOR's hype is much more comparable to the hype surrounding The Elder Scrolls: Online currently. Over a million facebook followers, great numbers in other social media as well and easy attention from the press.

For WildStar, that's completely different. It has nothing to go by, it's needing to gather fans from scratch. With that, it's hype will never reach such an extent. But bear in mind, that doesn't have to be a bad thing. As with the greater the hype is, the greater the disappointment shall be as well for an increased number of players.

A game not having to go through waves and waves of bad press at launch, is most certainly going to work in its favor in the long run. As we all know, players are very, very easily influenced. Once the bad press at launch is set, it's going to be kept on repeated by former players for years to come.
    Sonntam likes this.
  6. αRomeo

I hope you are right Fornix. ;)
    Hmm, maybe you are correct, my impression is only limited to a few sites. The hype is definitely out there, and I hope it gets the attention it deserves. :)
  7. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

In my opinion, for good game it's better to have slow launch and then steady growth than to aim at great rush at launch. Pre-launch hype can only bring more MMO hoppers and then cause issues later on when they leave to next new big thing. After launch hype builds itself, and new population is easier to control.
    Sonntam likes this.
  8. Kezzo

Kezzo New Cupcake

The less they invest in advertisment, the better the Release.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I think we can compare WS a bit to how Vanilla WoW was. They got most of their player-base from word of mouth aswell, and steadily growed to ''awesome'' hights.

Eventhough WoW had WC3 player-base behind it, WS hasn't....So I think it'll cost to much money to advertise it as much as other games. But once it launches then it'll begin.

If WS can manage to be an awesome game, then the players will come eventually.

Although I must say, I wished more people would know about WS :D
  10. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I genuinely hope for small steady growth, let the developers fully lock in the direction they know they want to take additional content before your forums have literally hundreds of thousands of active members.
  11. Smedly

Smedly Cupcake

I personally think the game will get a lot of hype when it finally comes out or starts getting reviewed (Hopefully those reviews will be good) I mean, IGN have taken a massive liking to WildStar and IGN have a massive fan base themselves and are even calling WildStar something that will take over WoW (...Which is a heavy milestone considering it still has alot of players)

So personally, I think WildStar won't have to advertise that much if websites like IGN, Gamespot and Escapist really love it perhaps...
  12. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Eve Online started very small, just word of mouth for the most part. It has grown steadily for several years now. Very profitable for the owners. And it's the toughest, nastiest, freaking game out there as far as learning curve goes.
    Even so, it keeps growing because it is GOOD. If WS is truly good and fun to play, it'll be around a long time. If not, not.
    Not sure how much advertising is needed. The sign-ups for beta are heading toward 3/4 million now. I expect that most of those signing up are talking the game up to friends.
  13. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Do you know anyone into mmo's currently not aware of wildstar, regardless if they are informed well or not?

My answer on that question is No, everybody i know knows about it. And they are marketing for that audience, so it's being marketed well enough. I don't think launching TV adds will do them much good.
  14. Prophyrian

Prophyrian Cupcake

They already have the MMO fanbase aware. With that alone, they can have a pretty decent launch. Then, if everything goes well and everyone is raving about it, you could see an explosion in subs from just word of mouth.

But remember NCSoft is the publisher, so I think its safe to assume that there will most likely be a TV trailer/commercial. Just hoping it is better then that nonsensical GW2 commerical.
    Ahkronn likes this.
  15. αRomeo

Yes, it would help if more people knew about the game before it will get released, otherwise I fear it might get branded as a wow clone and dismissed as such.
  16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I don't think so though:

IF WildStar is as good as we think/hope it'll be, then once it launches the masses will come and the word will spread.
    Gaming site's will want to ''pay more attention'' to WS etc. etc. etc.

Advertising WS without the option for people to play it = what can make people think it'll be a WoW clone (in my opinion).

But once people can also Play the game, they'll see and understand it's NOT a WoW-clone.

But that's my view on it :D
  17. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Almost everyone I meet or talk to has never heard of wildstar. I've been to several guild forums where it's openly discussed that people know very little - if anything - about the game. (I can think of a good example off the top of my head where a leader of Team Legacy, whom I wont name, posted on another large-guild website about trying to network between Wildstar branches - no one knew wtf he was talking about).

To use an isolated point of data to support my argument - Wildstar has about 500K beta subscribers now - FF:ARR which is a re-launch of a game that crashed, burned, exploded, and otherwise failed in every conceivable fashion has over 1M beta sign-ups.
  18. αRomeo

Yes, I think people do however dismiss things just by looking at a 1minute footage, that's my impression of people in general. But, I still believe Carbine are doing well with their marketing, I for one love the devspeak and their "flicks", a little of that goes a long way. Perhaps it's needless to worry, the game looks very promising and the features that are in it can't miss, difficult to see something going wrong now.
    Extatica likes this.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

While I wish WS would rock the MMO world and just be an awesome game, I do think it's too early to say the marked sentence :p

We have yet to receive info on some of the ''key-elements'' in WS that are in any MMO....so it can still go wrong (although looking at Carbine I do have good hopes they won't go wrong, but there is always that possibility....:cautious:)

This is me trying to stay calm for a game I just love! ;) Better low expectation and getting a surprise then the other way around :up:
    αRomeo likes this.
  20. Xander de Rooy

Xander de Rooy New Cupcake

I hope WS will start out like WoW did in vanilla not too big not too small, just grow steadily into an amazing game with a great player base.
    CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.