1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will the game be adertised enough to have a good lauch...

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Xalon, Aug 2, 2013.

1. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

If the game is great,you got the best marketing tool in the world to do the job for you,word of mouth
    Apostate likes this.
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Well, I've already been seeing the little side/top/bottom advertisement bars for Wildstar on several different sites. I'd say they've already started silently marketing with those ads - it's not a "BOOM HERE WE ARE!! LOOK AT US!!! LIKE US!" it's a lot more of a "pst...hey...look...we're a new mmo...hey...check us out..."
    Sonntam likes this.
  3. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Consideirng the coverage and hype it's getting from several news outlets i find that hard to believe. FF:AAR is doing fine due to a large following, know IP not to mention former people who played it are having another look.

Take into account carbine was expecting about 10% of their current beta sign ups, i think they are doing well enough as it shows they aren't into full marketing speed yet and i don't think they will until a launch date is set and a short open beta week-end has been given.
    Sonntam likes this.
  4. Kayelia

Kayelia Cupcake

Two or three months ago, didn't a carbine rep say they haven't really started hype machines? I'd imagine they still have some advertising cards up their sleeve.
    Kataryna and Sonntam like this.
  5. Novalith

Novalith Cupcake

I think they need to advertise WildStar a bit more soonish.

I found out about this game not too long ago, and by chance... That's doesn't mean everyone is in the same boat, but in the recent game events I didn't see as much WildStar as the game deserves.

Here's to hoping!
  6. M3stro0

M3stro0 Cupcake

advertising for MMOs at launch is useless IMO. Launches are never a ton of fun for casuals due to the bugs and down times that usually come with them and many of them get turned off by this write it off as another "generic WoW-clone" and never return. Let the game advertise itself. I mean heck they're still in closed beta, once the NDA is lifted the game will start marketing itself. Resources should be saved and used to ensure a smooth launch and content expediently delivered post launch.

Large launch numbers almost always level off back to a consistent median made up of your core gamers and then the game grows from there.
    Sonntam likes this.
  7. Novalith

Novalith Cupcake

Most people I know are more scared of the NCsoft brand behind WildStar, than of the game itself =P

Yeah, I know the difference between publisher and developer.
  8. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I wonder when Carbine is going to have long open beta or closed beta with 100k players. Without it they are going to have lots of bad reviews at start due to bugs. Also if they don't start it soon we may not see this game this year.
    Edit: Regarding advertisements. If gaming newspapers give W* 9/10+ the rest will roll. They have enough W* movies already for a few TV adds, imo :)
    Xalon likes this.
  9. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Jeremy in this vid makes a statement about the beta, and about them not expecting the numbers they got for beta. He states that they goofed on their beta signup announcement; they wanted about 20k and they have over 500k. He states that beta is not a marketing ploy, and he goes on to state that most games have not,
    · Done long enough betas.
    · Done thorough enough betas.
    · Have not changed <REDACTED> (his word) based upon beta.

Carbine is not trying to hype W* at this time; their trying to polish their game so when they do hype their game there will not be a lot of room for “yeah right” from us gamers (These are experienced Devs; both in developing and the playing of games.).
    As for when it releases the only statement about release date is “it will be done when it’s done”, which is not a date. For all we know for every day of beta, they have moved their internal release date back one day; I don’t really believe this, but something catastrophic could come up in beta, which could cause them to move their internal release date back dramatically (Hopefully not, and hopefully not to the point where the game never comes out of beta like SGW.).

I think we’ll see a lot of hype when Carbine finally announces their release date; until then W* is technically vaporware.
    Sonntam likes this.
  10. Bifurcation

Bifurcation Cupcake

I'd say let the quality of the game play do the talking.
    If the game is any good, then gamers will take care of the rest.
  11. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

WoW clone does not equal a bad thing!
    WoW was an EQ clone!
    I learned about WoW through PC gamer mag and that was basically it!
    Almost all the EQ players I talked to when I first tried WoW had no idea what WoW was and when they saw it they thought "pssh that's not as good as EQ".
    Eventually WoW grew into the ridiculous blockbuster it was after a year or so.

Just by the advancement of technology and media sources alone (ie Youtube) WS is already better advertised than WoW ever was.
    The lack of hype is due to the vast amount of MMO's on the market and previously on the market.
    WS will release with a modest player following consisting mostly of all the ppl on these forums, after a few months of word of mouth and a possible free trial it will either increase greatly or not.
    I believe it has what it takes but I can't say for sure since I haven't played it yet.

edit: I will say that the player housing will be the biggest draw for those in the general gamer pool!
    Xalon likes this.
  12. Baconwich

Baconwich Cupcake

I do kinda hope they start doing something bigger than what they've got right now. When I brought it up to what's left of my former WoW Guild, I got several "This is the first I've ever heard of the game"s, and I wouldn't have known about it if RPS hadn't been so interested in it.

At the same time, they're obviously not putting much effort right now into advertising beyond the people who are already interested in the game, and that makes me worried that it might still be extremely far from release.
  13. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

500,000 doesn't seem small to me..
  14. Xander de Rooy

Xander de Rooy New Cupcake

It's small compared to 5 mil.
  15. Mukesh

Mukesh Cupcake

I wonder how many of the 500k were people signing up repeatedly. That being said, if he game turns out as good as it looks, it will sell itself initially to the MMO market. The Carbine can pull a WoW and hire Mr T to make a commercial for them.
  16. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

the gamespot guy at the last convention clearly knew very little about the game. i found that odd ..

that being said, where is it written that good launch == millions of players at release?
  17. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

They either really don't, or ask basic things on purpose because they know their audience doesn't know the game.
  18. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Well, I suppose with all those comparisons to WoW, the valid question to ask is how many subscriptions WoW had after first 3,6,12 months after it was released.
  19. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Not really as you can't expect the same results, WoW introduced the mmo genre to a whole lot of people. Before that there were a lot less players around. So it would be like judging tv programs from back when they were not in every household and comparing them to now.
  20. EtherealOmega

EtherealOmega Cupcake-About-Town

Wildstar is getting press attention on IGN and Kotaku due to the big names on the dev team. Honestly, even without adverts I think it will have an OK launch. Word of mouth is the best thing ever when it comes to getting people who will be sticking around anyways. :)