1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will the game be adertised enough to have a good lauch...

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Xalon, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

The game has a pretty large following on Massively, and I've been seeing it pop up more on other sites. NCsoft will push the advertising once we get a release date. Putting much $ into marketing before a release date isn't worth it.
  2. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

We had EverQuest back in WoW times. Now there are many more customers aware of MMO so I suppose comparison would not be so completely off (obviously can't exactly be fair).
  3. Castia

Castia New Cupcake

They need a good balance of advertisement, just enough to make people aware of the game but not too much that creates over realistic hype. I'm pretty sure once we get closer to launch Carbine will 'start spreading the word'
  4. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

I really dont think we've got anything to worry about. At the end of the day NCSoft are invested in this selling well and they are not short of marketing experience or cash.. It'll be fine :)

We don't even have a firm release date yet and it would be at best counter productive to ramp up the advertising at a stage before that's announced :)
  5. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

A lot of people simply do not follow game news. They like a game, but have no interest in the broad spectre of the hobby. Many of them hardly visit a game resource even while playing the game. They hear about it from friends, maybe they see it visiting and then decide to try it out. If they visit a game resource or download addons, it is by word of friends to do so, they do not go researching for it themselves.

So the best marketting right now is to share news releases you like through twitter, facebook or google without suffocating your friends on news on a game that is possibly months from releasing. If they have not heard about Wildstar by now, this may be too early for their type to hear about it - they are not interested until they have a date, when they can buy the copy/download and log in.

If you happen to live close by a game event that Carbine is attending, drag your friends there to get the hands on experience (any excuse for you to carppool with people to meet the peps from Carbine will do, right?). That will be more memorable for them, if they are the kinetic intelligent types.

Best marketting imho is
    • optional customizable integrated twitter/facebook/video feeds from ingame,
    • word of mouth from players with some followship, for instance an addon developer with a portfolio of popular addons, a streamer with a skill for commentary, a game reporter who knows his/her trade, a fan artist in video, graphics, writing, etc., a developers professional blog, a game trailer that tells a story and shows a memorable personality,
    • various types of refer a friend features after launch.
    Personally I can't stand commercials. I never click on them. A video trailer from a game event, sure, but a banner commercial, no thank you. Banners are just there to sell something, no matter how decorative, its just a product peddled by the marketing department.
    Word of Mouth from someone I respect or a memorable game video on the other hand is gold.