1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will the majority of my time be spent walking?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Nukingsman, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Nukingsman

Nukingsman New Cupcake

The MMO's I've played recently (GW2, SWTOR) involved a lot of traveling. It was too tedious and I hated it. I think the reason some games do this is to increase the amount of time people spent playing and so they don't plow through all their content faster.

What is WS going to do to solve this problem?
  2. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

The game will have large zones so you will have to walk around them. Will they be horribly designed stretched out corridor fests like SWTOR? Hopefully not.
  3. Nukingsman

Nukingsman New Cupcake

Yeah, those were horrible. :cry:
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well there's always ''sprinting'' :p (sorry just had to)

+ house teleporting + space taxi's + mounts + raid teleporting from your house + jumping + double jumping + super jumping with crystals +.....ah well you get the point ;)

But tbh i don't think we'll need to walk alot, you get quests not only by walking to a quest giver. So during other quests you can suddenly get more quests, and you won't have to run back to the quest giver to hand it in.
    So i don't see we need to travel too much. I think it'll be a decent amount of traveling.

And for a path, i expect you don't wanna go Explorer then? Because i think you'll be moving a bit more then other paths :D
  5. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

We are also expecting a leak for quadruple jumping :coffee:
  6. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Swtor I can kind of understand, but Gw2? Seriously? You had virtually instant travel everywhere.
  7. Hellspawnx

Hellspawnx Cupcake

I can agree about swtor but sorry I have to 100% disagree about GW2. The game map was big but that was epic and it had fun interesting events almost every step of the way. Honestly I dont think I would want to play the MMO your looking for, I come from not only GW2 but several years of Wolrd of warcraft which in comparison to GW2 was much bigger and less content leveling, but yet I had a blast exploring and it made the game feel more immersive.

Lastly like WoW, Wildstar is going to have mounts and possiably flying mounts.
    Gargantua and Demoses like this.
  8. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I disagree that GW2 has a lot of movement, the world felt claustrophobic and tiny to me. Each zone was it's own instance/shard then on top of that you could just waypoint all over the world, in the space of 10 clicks I could visit all the different corners of the world.

I will say though that I'm a huge supporter of massive worlds, I can stand feeling walled off and limited in MMO's. Also, you get speeder bikes, so there's that :p
    Demoses, Witless and Sonntam like this.
  9. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

If you think you spent too much time walking in GW2 (where you could almost map-click to just about anywhere)... I think you have to ask yourself if you're really interesting in MMOs and exploring a virtual world at all. Travel is a *key* element in making the world feel like a place, which in turn is critical to making the game world feel alive.
    Afrotech, Ascary, Rizzalliss and 6 others like this.
  10. Kritarie

Kritarie Cupcake

Seems like you might enjoy a good FPS or moba game. Pretty minimal travel.
  11. Nukingsman

Nukingsman New Cupcake

Oh heavens no. I want to be a Settler. Explorers apparently like doing jump puzzles. Whoever decided to put platforming in an online RPG needs a kick in the pants. :mad:

I'm a City of Heroes player. I like flying and getting to where I need to go without any hassle at all. :cautious:
    Zwipe likes this.
  12. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

there will be flightpaths like in wow .... so going from 1 side to the other wont be instant but it wont take 3 days
    Kookieduck likes this.
  13. Cartographer

Cartographer Cupcake-About-Town

I don't know, I remember flying the length of Kalimdor at lvl 60 took over 20 mins...
    Genoshock, Fishsticks and vicksen like this.
  14. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

I didn't play GW2, but the traveling in SWTOR was just outright bad.

Whenever you wanted to go somewhere else you had to
    Walk back to a taxi
    Get on the drop ship
    Fly to the space station
    Walk across the stupid space station (which is stupid and completely pointless)
    Then get onto your ship
    Walk into the navigation room to plot your course to the next planet
    Then get off your ship
    Fly to the space station
    Walk across yet another stupid space station AGAIN (which is stupid and completely pointless)
    Get on the drop ship
    Then you arrived!

Furthermore, your hearth was on a 1 day CD! So sometimes you might have to do this TWICE just to get to town, and then back!

Ohh and all the world were designed like a maze with dead ends everywhere. You basically HAD to stay on the road to get somewhere. No shortcuts allowed buster!

That game had so many issues, but it was still a decent MMO. Too bad Bioware sat on their duff and refused to reinvest money into it.

I am not saying you should get to fly around instantly, but a lot of that is completely unnecessary.
  15. mysticjbyrd

Because it takes the scenic route!

He will be fine. I doubt there are very many people who enjoy sitting there doing nothing as the taxi takes them on the same path the 100th time.

I heard the explorer path can find shortcuts, but then you have to explore... I am not sure its worth it.
    mercyfulfate1988 likes this.
  16. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

i hope there's a lot of walking,loved having to travel for 20 minutes to a dungeon.
    genero_eVerto and Milamilou like this.
  17. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

It would be terrible if you could just instantly travel everywhere you need to go.

Questiver: "I need you to go gather some bear pelt, it's about a 1 minute walk so I set up this teleporter instead!"
    Player: "But I have to WALK to the teleporter? No Deal."

Personally I think we need more traveling. We have Taxi's, personal mounts and instant transportation to our house. There will probably also be some sort of hearthstone I bet.

That should be enough.
    Kookieduck, Rizzalliss and Witless like this.
  18. mysticjbyrd

Lol what!? I think you might be wearing some old school nostalgic glasses.
    Or wait, is this sarcasm?
  19. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

no,i am tired of all the new games that have everything on fast forward.I loved having to travel to a dungeon in vanilla wow,it added a sense of achievement when you actually managed to get there.Take for example gw2,they added waypoints everywhere,i never had to walk more than 30 s after you reached cap,that just made the whole world seem miniscule,and ruins the whole mmo feel the game has.
    Milamilou, kiri, Kookieduck and 3 others like this.
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Oh those nice walks to SM as a hordie.....good times.....good times...

But in all seriousness i don't mind NOT having teleporters to dungeons/raids but i don't want to walk 20 min for them either. A 5-10 min walk on a mount (not on foot) should be long enough for me :D
    Kookieduck likes this.