1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will the majority of my time be spent walking?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Nukingsman, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

I was simplifying my position in an attempt to end this pointless exchange. I was hoping you would stop arguing over irrelevant details (exactly how sci-fi is WildStar, how popular are sandbox games)and accept the simple, original premise for what it was. Since I've apparently done the opposite, and you've chosen to make a mountain from the molehill of a single word, I'll be more direct: we're done here. Go play semantics with someone else.

On the actual topic of the thread: the dev session from Rezzed would seem to suggest that they plan for travel time to be a meaningful aspect of the experience. Tangentially, they talk a lot about having very large, very involved zones that players are rewarded for thoroughly exploring. They continue to mention the Settler's ability to construct flight paths as something of note, so that itself could be inferred to mean that flying mounts won't be ubiquitous.

Given that so much of the game's design philosophy seems to be centered around actively engaging the player rather than letting them switch their brain off and half-AFK through mundane tasks, I can't imagine them ever embracing a model where player flight becomes so commonplace as to trivialize all open world activities.
  2. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

That was the source that was easiest to find. In a recent interview flying mounts were mentioned as well. Also a year ago Gaffney repeated the same thing: Wildstar is built around flying and it supports flying mounts.

"But that doesn't mean it will be implemented!"

It would be very surprising if they didn't. The only question is in what form flying will come, not whether it will be added to Wildstar or not.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/v29wc/iama_18_year_mmo_industry_vet_and_executive/c512qh1
  3. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Personally I would find walking through 7 zones with no other purpose of passing through 6 of them tedious too, so it is a valid question if one want to enjoy ones game time and find this not enjoyable. Carbine has implied ways to travel, though hard facts on how it works is a little vague and we can mostly apply assumptions from how it works in other games.

If you truly abhor travelling time, try out EQ2. All zones have at least one type of teleport to the zone, in some cases more. Plenty of content to do too. Get into a higher level guild with all the travelling amenities, and you never have to go into a zone with the sole purpose of adding 3-5 more minutes of game time spent on just passing through to the next zone more appropriate to your level.
  4. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

You don't appear to be replying to me. This is a list of reasons why you feel recent themepark MMOs have "failed", my post was about why these games have succeeded by offering single player story content that there is clearly a demand for, and selling to millions of players. This line of discussion did after all start with a comparison of sandbox and themepark MMO designs, and the market is of course dominated by the latter.

I'm not really sure where you are trying to go with these posts, it feels like you're engaged in some kind of bizzare point scoring. You're going to argue with me over the the price of WoW's subscription? Really?
  5. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

That was my point. I do not believe the single player storyline is why they succeeded. I do not believe that is what players really want.

You again missed my point. They may be charging $15 a month, but they are recieving much less than that. I do not have access to breakdowns but educated guess says its much closer to $7. Your assertions are based on woefully incomplete data.
  6. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

I didn't even make an assertion about the amount of money Blizzard were receiving from each subscription. You are an anally retentive waste of space, and i'm done with the topic.
  7. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

No you didn't and I never claimed that you did. You did however make a rather broad assertion that "these games are successful, and these games aren't and these games are mimicing WoW" and for the most part you are horribly wrong because you frankly do not know enough about the topic. I was merely using the fact that you do not even know, much less understand, how much money WoW makes and Blizzard spends to illustrate it. Look at it this way, if everyone is copying WoW because its the behemoth money maker, then why aren't there already games copying Diablo 3 and its Rmah? You do realize that the "dead" D3 made nearly half the money last quarter that WoW did right? And for many times less the cost in both upkeep and content creation. You hypothosis does not hold water, at all. Calling me names will not change that.