1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will the servers be region locked?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Ocelot, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Ocelot

Ocelot New Cupcake

Im from the UK and have a lot of friends that live in the US. So will i be able to go over to one of the US servers with them? Or will it be a case of them having to buy it for me just to be able to play over there?
  2. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Good question, and I certainly hope they are not region locked. It makes no sense really. If someone wants to play on a different region, even if they hay a slightly higher ping, it is their choice.
  3. Clickbeast

Clickbeast Cupcake

Mmm... ncsoft published GW2, and they supported that game's region lock system. They're also publishing Wildstar. Not sure if that affects it at all, but since we have only speculation, some historic information could be interesting and relevant.
  4. aiuradun

aiuradun Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah as far as iI know I haven't heard them talk about this yet

I am guessing it will come down to how good bad is the playing experience with high latency both for the player but more importantly for the players around him
    ie him chocing to play with lag is fine, but if it can ruin the game for others its not as attractive.

My personal opinion is that it should absolutely be allowed especially with the "play like you want" mantra that manra should also include play with the people you wnat

But I can understand the decision going in the other direction if it completely ruins the playing expreience
  5. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

i hope not since I am in an international guild.

However in GW2 you can play in a region that is not your own.
  6. Pariax

Pariax Cupcake

clickbeast, as far as i know (played guildwars 2 in closed beta and 2 months after launch) gw2 had a system that allowed you to freely change server at your will (it got limited to be a payment option later) and you had the possibility to guest every server a friend of yours played on. The overflow servers were european/NA server aswell so they didnt really had region lock in there.
    i could be wrong ofc but it seemed pretty open beside choosing between american and european servers (which actually is a good idea due to ping issues anyway)
  7. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

NA player can play on Eu servers in GW2 IE you can make that your home server but you can only guest the servers in your region.

which I don't like honestly.
  8. Ocelot

Ocelot New Cupcake

Yeah this is what i was thinking. I mean i still would get the game on the EU because this game looks so amazing and raiding time would be alot easier for me haha instead of being on US time :D
  9. Clickbeast

Clickbeast Cupcake

Mmm I didn't know you could guest even.
  10. Dwel

Dwel Cupcake

Region locking in MMOs is generally caused by publishing mumbo jumbo (different publishers for different regions). If the game is published by the same publisher in all regions, then I believe that the only thing stopping a system like GW2 is a design one (or technical to the game's account systems).

Hoping Wildstar goes the GW2 route where you can play on any region you want.
  11. serenedream

serenedream Cupcake

I for one hope servers are created in the style of TSW and you can swap and communicate between {almost} flawlessly!
  12. Ocelot

Ocelot New Cupcake

^^ This. So it's looking good for if it is just the one for Wildstar!