1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will there be elder game in the world?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Shaigh, May 1, 2013.

1. Shaigh

Shaigh Cupcake

I have read all about dungeons, raids, arenas, battlegrounds and warplots and while I like most of those features they all share one quality, they are all instanced, and endgame being all instanced content means that the world disappears.

What kind of endgame activities will bring us back into the world again? I would love to have more than just the daily grind outside of instances.
  2. Danny Nielsen

Danny Nielsen Cupcake

CRB_Gortok and Shaigh like this.
  3. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

There will be solo eldar game, i don't know if it will be instanced or not but that could be a way. And i sincerely hope for paths huge questlines, dailyquests or so that would bring people in the outter world. They already said paths like explorer can open new zones to everybody so that could be a way of doing it.
    Dnevnoy likes this.
  4. Shaigh

Shaigh Cupcake

Thanks for the article.

The answers he gave below your quote tells me that they aren't just focusing on instances, and his response "One of the problems [with current MMOs] is that you consume all the content as you level up, which means that you go through an area once and you never come back." gives me faith that they will try to make wildstar more than just a lobby game.

Now I just have to wait until they announce what it means.
  5. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I think when zones are created, and their only purpose is for players to spend a couple hours there leveling, it's a huge mistake. And it happens game after game after game. Granted, not every zone needs to have multiple purposes, but it's sad that all these awesome zones could be filled with players, and instead, 90% of the max-level population is sitting in safe zones in queues. That is NOT why I started playing MMOs.
    Mailroomclerk, Whatley and Dnevnoy like this.
  6. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

You bet your britches that as a settler Ill be in most zones doing my part .

/hardhat and sings the fragglerock doozer song
  7. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I think World PvP will be elder content, once hot-spot maps are made and common points of contention are naturally parsed out. Carbine has mentioned they're going to wait to see where players travel most often before putting open world objectives, points, and content into the game. It's always depressing when you want to go do that awesome new content that just got added, but you can't because no one else wants to run all the way over there.
  8. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

i'm pretty sure that they've stated that they want people in the world and have plans to get people to go back into zones you've previously done/outleveled.
  9. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

"Objective-Based Open World PvP
    We understand the strong desire for this type of open world PvP and many of us here at Carbine enjoy it. That said, objective-based open world PvP is not currently a focus for WildStar’s launch. Our intent, as I’ve stated in our Reddit AMAA, is to see how our PvP players interact with the world of Nexus so we can focus on areas which may appeal to a Wildstar PvP player for objective play before we make a deeper investment on open world PvP." -CRB_Bardic
    http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/clearing-up-misconceptions-on-open-world-pvp.2072/

So, eventually world PvP content, but not at launch. I have a feeling the solo elder game is going to have you go back and discover secrets of zones you were in at lower levels.
    CRB_Gortok likes this.
  10. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

wasn't even talking about Open World PvP. They've said they want people to be in the world, and have systems in place to get them out there, and going back to older zones to do stuff in Elder Game. However, that will get world pvp going if they do this, more people in the world, more times that people can bump into each other in the world and kill each other :)
    Mailroomclerk and Rumze like this.
  11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Wonder what it's going to be... I'm hoping super elite rare resources which make the best equipment into the game. I know they're also trying to make it so crafting can be an end game style of play. I'm thinking like Krayt Dragon hunting back in SWG days, get a group, roam around looking for the spawn to get the mats for the best gear in the game. Maybe not to that extent, but if it took a group to take down creatures for the best mats, that'd be neat.
  12. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Most likely events spawned by paths - we know of one which is set off by the soldier.
  13. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

That would be cool. If I'm on a PvE server or PvP server I want to die, be able to say oh damn this is going to be tough. If I have to get through a bunch of PvP players to reach my either instanced or non instanced objective, so be it because if it's a trend then it will be a part of the challenge. I can only hope people love this! If people really want to integrate the game as one, perhaps an Elder Game path could also reward something for PvP for people knowing they will have to venture through dangerous zones. It conflicts with the casual realm type however. I'm all for people doing whatever they want in the game, just know it does have a particular set vision, this has a lot to do with marketing and reason why devs aren't up front all the time. Recently I learned heroic difficulty was the true difficulty only because it has to start there and be tuned down accordingly. PvP Servers are the idealistic vision too since other servers are simply OPT out versions and add nothing. That is not subjective. My opinion is, I would be perfectly acceptable with PvP only servers and single difficulty tied to raid instances. Though I would prefer a game that focused on the players intended for it's purpose is all. I'm willing to compromise, but at what cost? Story progression in an MMO? I read zero quests since level 2 and know nothing about Ragnaros but knew he was bad ass because he was hard to kill. I DON'T mean to ruin anyones buzz here as story is important, and I hope you can appreciate it, but the MMO genre was made it's own freaking genre because it wasn't a "single player" game. Which focuses mainly on story, which isn't a bad thing, but that's it's selling point. Bring on the best MMO story we have ever heard and put it in a way I would love, absolutely shoot for the moon, but if people don't care for the story you give them and just want many epic rewards from it because they didn't appreciate the experience then you wasted your time. I didn't play Silent Hill 2 over and over again because it unlocked a chainsaw for me afterwards if I wanted to start a new game. I played Silent Hill 2 over and over again because I wanted all the endings and the story blew my mind. If YOU are trying to accomplish THAT, put every resource you have in there. Mind you MMO's do not run on this format though as they are based solely on a proper reward system. Reward all variances of skilled players appropriately, and bring mind blowing story to an MMO. You may have a winning recipe.
  14. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I generally agree, though I don't have an issue with PvE's server's existence. They can do what they want, as they wouldn't be interacting with PvP anyway. Also, the reward for the PvP players in PvP servers is... Open World PvP. It's fun, that's a reward.

Also, check out the thread in my signature, you may be interested.

Also, please use paragraphs in the future, it's very hard to read one continuous block like that without losing your place.
  15. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

I agree. Problem is I try to remain on the topic while going on tangents LOL, to me, all of the game is affected by peoples roles in the game. The PvP realm exists as it suits both player types, despite realm specification. If we are seriously considering PvE and PvP paths based on server then that is a bold move, but if you have reason to head towards that, then by all means speak up if it's an option. See that's the thing with blah blah blah etc. I can jump to the point it's just I try to convey my opinion over vast situations so that others can try to understand my point of view. Either wa...

Either way, I agree. I'll check out your signature.
  16. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I get what you're saying, (and would recommend a new paragraph at each new piece of thought, in this case where it starts in at "See that's..."). I usually have what I'm trying to say, then other thoughts and small things that pop into my head (which I decide to put in parenthesis).

Now, what you're actually trying to say (or at least what I think you're trying to say) is there's PvEers, and PvPers in endgame. Players may tend to do a bit of both, but will generally focus on one area. So, with this you have a lot of people who are achievement driven, or don't have any other endgame goals in mind, making somewhat of a lobby game. This is fine for some players, for others they want a "feel" to the world. I submit that PvE servers are for those who want to achieve unhindered, or what I'll call achievement-centric (this is acceptable obviously and players should be allowed to do this), and that PvP servers are SUPPOSED to be world-centric.

I would also submit, that many players like to just play the game as a world, without being hardcore into PvP or PvE, which is why Carbine's making solo-story oriented end game. Now, for these players, again, some of them will be world-centric or achievement-centric. I think the heart of the world-centric players is fun. A lot of players continuously try to improve their characters, eventually getting to a point where they say, "Ok... done that, now what do I do that I've reached the highest level that I want?" Only, before they can properly develop a new system and community the next content comes out. So, they're rewarded with the achievement oriented game play again.

Is this a bad thing? Nope, because not everyone's the creative and motivated type to provide answers to the question "What now?" After-all that's what you're paying the developers to do.

Is this a bad thing? Yes, because those who try to motivate the communities into doing something "cool and unique" lose momentum every time new content comes out, because players would rather improve their characters.

No, I'm not contradicting myself, there are actually two types of players. I think for the ones on a PvP server, it's more important to provide a living community over the entire world constantly, as that's the game play "style." This is simply an observation and subjective view on the idealogy of a PvP vs PvE server player. Realistically what happens is players don't know what the rulesets mean and end up on the wrong server. There are many nuances that end up with each ruleset afterall.

I also realize this isn't exactly what you were saying, but it's where your posts were going towards.
  17. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

@OP We're definitely getting world bosses and it looks like we'll get them throughout leveling if Deradune is any indicator. How those max level bosses then scale in terms of difficulty to those of the set raids is always going to be a difficult balancing act.

I haven't seen anything on Open World PvP incentives. We really need to see how big the warplots are, because if the maps are as big/bigger than the GW2 WvWvW maps then I personally am fine with that as it won't feel like an instance, just another big part of the world.

I do believe that the personal quests/adventures/path stuff will tie in to the Elder game though if BlackWolfs graph (which clearly Carbine liked) is anywhere near accurate. So that won't feel like a grind but like you're progressing even though cap has been reached.
  18. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

See posts above. Carbine is purposefully not putting open world PvP incentives in at launch, and will be implementing them afterward in order to place them in areas that are naturally more active with PvP and skirmishes.
    http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/clearing-up-misconceptions-on-open-world-pvp.2072/
  19. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Nice, but personally if the Warplots are big and active enough I and I'm sure many many others would probably just live in the Warplot areas.
  20. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Not the players that want an MMO and not a game that feels like a lobby. There's a huge outcry for this already... In other words if all good content is instanced, all players will be too. That said Warplots are going to be interesting and feel completely different from battlegrounds, in that it's strategizing against a dynamic system, and tailoring your own plot to fit your team.