1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will there be Mini-games in WildStar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Mel, Apr 26, 2013.

?

Are folks interested in Mini-Games?

1. I am a fan of in game Mini-Games

74.1%
  2. Not interested at all

9.3%
  3. Don't care ether way...

17.6%
  1. Mr_Wayne

Mr_Wayne Cupcake

If they are not mandatory then I love mini games. I dont have any set examples but it be awesome if we had like bowling, racing, arenas (pretty sure they confirmed), interactive chess, obstacle courses, chua toss, and stuff of that nature would be sweet. Especially with Carbines imagination
  2. Vendrii

Vendrii New Cupcake

I agree. I am all for mini-games that are incorporated into the game, as if your character plays the mini-game inside the world of Wildstar. Examples could be anything from arcade halls, concert halls (playing music like in LOTRO would be awesome), shooting ranges, racing tracks etc. etc. . They should be accessible in the Wildstar reality and not through a menu in the HUD.

You could also use items to access a mini-game, like a gameboy or a phone (snake, anyone? :)). Then you could play Bejeweled or Peggle in a raid through that item, instead of having to be at an arcade hall.

When I played Bejeweled through that addon in WoW, it didn't feel like I was playing WoW, I was playing Bejeweled. To me, this breaks immersion very seriously, which is why I think this is important.
    Calsic likes this.
  3. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Erm, that was a fictional, highly (I hope) exaggerated situation. What I mean to say is: I don't care either way. Enjoy your mini games...
  4. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

This is assuming that making these mini games available in the world doesn't take developer time away from the actual game. If I remember right, the standalone games came as addons -- except Plants vs Zombies, or flowers or whatever it was called. If they're just addons, by all means stuff the game with them. If the devs stop making real MMO content to fit these in I'll be heading out to buy my pitchfork.
  5. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

I do not believe that mini-games should be path specific, Explorer get a extra jumping element. I would love to see a plug for our homes that were like arcades? Some frogger type and a space ship shooter?
  6. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

That's a good idea actually. Really would like to see something like that. I don't mean have every game imaginable, but maybe a couple of those iconic 8bit games. Damn, housing is getting me excited. Just the possibilities it has...
  7. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

I want crafting to be a mini game. With every profession being a different game you had to play. Would make leveling crafting harder/more time consuming and make it about which game you like rather than which one makes you the most money. Only thing is all the games would have to be good..hehe.

Other than that the minigame idea is iffy. I like the idea of a minigame for a bonus like a daily rather than daily quests. Farming minigame that sort of thing.
  8. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

The numbers speak for themselves! 80% of the people enjoy a mini-game time sink!
    Reading over the post I too feel that a crafting mini-game would be interesting. Arcade style plugin for housing could be epic. Fishing is more of a trade-skill linked to cooking? I am still excited for any news...
  9. Scoriae

Scoriae Cupcake

Gems in EQ was a great way to kill time. :)
  10. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I am observing that people divide mini games in two types. The ones with its own interface and the ones that is in the game.

Housing plugs would be in the world.

Crafting is in the world.

Others listed could be too - personally I would find it awesome if there are also puzzle games that requires group or raid size coordination. I remember one of the dungeons in SWTOR having a puzzle to it to get one group member to the other end to shut down the barriers. The final datacron quest was also pretty fun to do the first couple of times. Some boss encounter mechanics in WoW felt like a mini-game to me too - dancing in Naxx in WotLK comes to mind.
  11. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I think mini games can add a little extra to the game, bonus points if they tie in with existing stuff. Mini-pet battles for instance are a cool idea. I sadly left WoW before they came around, but the thought behind that is pretty awesome.
    The orbitactics thing that was shown off earlier in the thread could fit nicely into arcade machines for your home or just a portable something to do while you wait on stuff to happen.

One thing I wouldve loved to see in SWTOR for instance were speeder races or pod races that you could spectate and have leaderboards etc. That wouldve been awesome, but sadly SWTOR had pretty much zero fluff content, and thus missed an imho great opportunity.

Mount/flying mount races could be interesting, but might require a mount handling that is different from your usual "your mount is an extension of your characters legs" model that most games have. Itd have to handle more like an actual vehicle/animal for things to really be fun.

In the end, minigames get a yes from me, but I don't necessarily need them at launch. Still, they are nifty lil things that can be pretty great and appeal to many kinds of players
  12. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

Gambling... slots, cards, dice games... can['t have a space-western without a good card game

Robot Wars... please include mini-robot pets we can collect and customize for mini battles!

Fishing competitions, mount races, etc all can be very fun.

Jumping puzzles are in for everyone. Explorers have a layer for planting flags that are tied with them.
  13. sidhia

sidhia Cupcake

Yes! I loved that quest. It was genius.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

ZOMBIE BOMBER!!!
  15. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

a card game would be awesome.
  16. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

[​IMG]
    Inukeu and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  17. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

There is tower defense in the housing plots, It's a mini game. I'm sure there is others like that.
  18. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

As long as the mini-games are not mandatory, then I dont mind them
  19. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

I wonder if my favorite loot PiƱata from Burning Crusade the Chess boss in Karazhan, counts as a mini-game.
  20. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

Mini Games are a big reason I love games from Level 5

Dark Cloud 2 had a sweet mini golf game that you played on actual dungeon levels after you cleared them. It also had fishing where you could raise, train and race the fish you caught.

Rogue Galaxy had a kewl battle chess like game you played with insects you collected.

A sci-fi type chess/checkers game would be nice.

Anything that adds more stuff to collect!