1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

will there be trash wiping in wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by bramokki, Aug 4, 2013.

1. bramokki

bramokki Cupcake

Ah oke do you know if there will be forethought before the trash?(about cc at the trash etc.)
    Because i could not find anything about it, and you are a bit longer on this forum then me.
    Just joined today haha
    Extatica likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I remember an interview/article were they said things like: ''we want people to think about engaging, not just run in and be able to AoE them all down''

I'd have to look for it, for I can't remember which article it was....but I think they'll not make it a ''walk in the park'', don't forget they want to cater to the 1% and they want hard trash encounters aswell :up:

(If I come across it again i'll give you the link)
  3. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

Mobs that do not have any chance of killing group are just meaningless time sink. It does work in quite a few cases, like bosses with 'waiting' phases throwing in weak trash for entertainment, trash giving loot/extras(like rep from WoW), or just varied difficulty trash pulls across instance. One pull taking skill and coordination, followed by pull that can be safely leeroyed.
    But I do not think CC will play big role, especially with 40m raids, if such long-term cc is even in game at all. Assume that on average you'll have at least 10 people with such cc. This means not only huge difference between CC pull and no cc, it also means quite a bit of downtime before each pull marking/designating mobs for each CC. With telegraphs CCing only part of packed pack means CC will be broken, as you can't really aim around other mobs while moving/dodging. Only viable situation for CC seems 3-4 clearly separated big mobs, because with 40 people you have 4-5 tanks that easly can take 2 bigs at once.
    So I wouldn't base your expectations of "think before pulling" around CC. Things like designate kill order/apply special tactic to specific mob/dodge his skills because they *will* oneshot you, but CC is meh way to make players stop before pull.
  4. bramokki

bramokki Cupcake

i thought they said somewhere in a video that cc would play a big role in wildstar
  5. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

There are tons of examples of both trash and boss encounters, where the dangerous mobs are pulled away from the group and "CC'd" there, leaving the remaining enemies open to Aoe spells without disrupting the Cc'd mob or mobs.
    Also, there is only "quite a bit of downtime" when you don't plan ahead, and/or when you fail your task and the group doesn't handle the pull properly, which you should be punished for failing. Threat of downtime is a very good incentive for doing the pull correctly and it also provides additional incentive for being creative with how you execute it.
  6. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

Downtime for failing is fine. Downtime where one person takes a minute or two before each pull to tell 10 different people which one of mobs they CC, while 39 other people wait and do nothing, is not fine. I guess it all comes down to how they'll do it, but I don't see way to make CC vital in big big raids and not boring and tiring at the same time.
  7. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

This is a player problem, "not planning ahead", both the raid leader and the people involved in the CC not communicating and planning before they tackle the encounter.
    Now if you are referring to "learning the encounter", then there will always be downtime when you are learning an encounter, what works best, where to set up, etc....removing that just means an encounter that you dont need to learn in order to defeat. If that's whats being suggested, then I don't think that's what the devs have in mind for this game.
  8. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

These days its rare to wipe on a trash mob in a dungeon/raid, and if you do, omg be prepared for the hate and vitriol to be spewed forth. If I was Megaboss Lord of all the Uberworld, I sure as hell wouldn't have pansy mobs that that couple of adventurers could kill in a matter of seconds guarding my lair. Id have the meanest baddest buggers in all the known universe that did their damn finest to keep those little looters out. They would have to use everything in their arsenal to down my guardians and work to find their way into my throne room and that of my lower Commanders.

Raids should require planning and forethought and should take hours to figure out especially when you first start working towards progression and getting everyone slowly geared up. Figuring out the secrets and weaknesses to your enemy and exploiting those weaknesses to eventually save the day. These days you can get an epic set in a week. le sigh. No risk no reward is how it should be.

I love turning things into sheep *poof*baaaaaaa* (Girlgy giggling ensues) or ice blocks :)