1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wild Star "Coddle the Lazy" Gamers ?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Savina, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Uh... What are you getting at? In your example, it seems that YOU are catering to the lazy player by taking them on your raids, not the game. So if you do not want to cater to lazy players, do not play with them. Easy as that... The game has nothing to do with what people you chose to play with.
    Xecks and Livnthedream like this.
  2. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Well if it was easy to fine dedicated players many of us wouldn't have these woes its sort of a double edge sword the larger the raid group the higher % of bottomfeeders you will get. not every guild will have a full raid of non lazy players. I often equate raid leader of that of a den mother. You as RL have to keep these people in check and sometime you have your work cut out for you. Its a rare thing to RL with people completely self sufficient, ready to raid, knowledgeable, and good at their class and role.

I don't know if wildstar could do anything its really a social community thing.
  3. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah, exactly... It's not directly a problem with the game, but with the community and players we have. So trying to lay the responsibility on Carbine (like the OP is doing) is not exactly right.

The only thing Carbine can do, is make the best game they can. So that people will be interested in it, invested in it, and they will want to actually play it, and get the most out of it. That's what Carbine can do.
  4. Wretched

Wretched Cupcake

I often find that in my raiding groups (and I'm on a server that's gone down hill a lot over the last few expansions) that there is a good core of fairly skilled and motivated players, and then the rest. Perhaps a 75% Good, the rest are warm bodies kinda thing. And we talk and dream about how if we could just replace the other 25% with equally awesome people... we might win harder (or run out of excuses to why we wiped). Of course some of those players are family of other better players, hubby and wife teams, etc.
  5. Ugh

Ugh Cupcake

Uhhh...Guess there wasn't one! lol
    Must of saw a shiny and got sidetracked!
  6. Thalendor

Thalendor New Cupcake

Speaking of Guild Wars 2, this was a real pet peeve of mine in that game as it related to magic find gear. Running through a dungeon and wiping is one thing -- when it's because someone's running in magic find gear that's something else entirely. There's always going to be a few bad apples out there that you can't do anything about, but when a company encourages this sort of behavior in its players that's something that really turns me off on a game. Anyway, I heard they were going to (and perhaps already have?) removed magic find from gear, but I haven't gone back to check.
    Ianpact likes this.
  7. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

happening today on patch (re magic find)

and in general agreed with the overall feel of this page, attitude is nothing a deve studio can do anything about. Sure they can make content you have to work at but end of the day that wont change an attitude and its down to you/me as interested parties in our respective communities to mould the sort of circles we want to be around
  8. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I believe Carbine have probably got a much better handle of this than we have, however my opinion on the subject (and this goes either way) is that whilst they can try to accommodate as many diverse groups as possible, at a certain point you have to just say "Sorry, but you're not our target audience". It's impossible to please everybody. Some self proclaimed 1%er's will say any level of easing people into a game makes it too easy, whilst the "lazy" gamers will complain that it requires too much time/skill to achieve something.

A line has to be drawn, we just have to see how Carbine draw it. Personally I want mid game onwards to be pretty brutal, but I've always been a gamer who's driven by high risk/reward trade-offs. With that said, I truly wish that the Early game is a warm up of sorts with the game teaching the player in how to play properly. After that success is not due to tuning but rather of skill.
    Screenager likes this.
  9. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Man there is some skewed options in this thread...

Its a big food chain... You may think your boss, but there's always someone better.
    NemtheNoob likes this.
  10. KarmaJ

KarmaJ New Cupcake

As far as lazy gamers I don't think the Devs have anything to help them out. At least not intentionally. Now if a group allows someone to be carried it is their fault as much as the one being carried. I can see if someone has been out of the game for a while and they were a key raider before they left. Now if those that always whine and complain about not getting gear and whatnot then the call is up to the group. If they want to deal with that kind of thing.
  11. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

This is what i fear, the game will be balanced around being able to have some people slack. And their fall back becomes, we have a competitive raiding scene, therefore we will not cater to the lazy gamer. I Hope it is not like that, and the raid will be challenging for those that like a challenge. And not to be challenging for the people that will compete for the fastest time. It should take over a month before the final boss is down in the 1 40 man raid. and a bit sooner for the last boss of the 20 man raid. You should have to gear up for the raid, and not just have the path set out perfectly for you with 5 man to 20 man to 40 man. In my opinion, you should have to figure out what mods you need on your weapons to be able to do anything in the 20 man and 40 man. Not just the basic I farmed enough 5 mans to be able to get to the first raid. You should have to figure out what resist you need. Not just figuring out the usual DPS, HPS, hit, tank stat you need.
  12. Vmoped

Vmoped New Cupcake

I understand everyone's view point here, but find it ironic that people who play video games for long periods of time are calling part of their demographic lazy. I just think of the Hollywood stereotype computer nerd turning to his friend and calling him lazy. Classic. I think some players take their games a little too serious. I used to enjoy large group events and raiding in games until I began to run into increasing numbers of 'elitist' players who use foul language at others because they do not feel the other players are being as efficient as they want them to be. If I want to hear children cursing I will play more games on xbox live.

Remember we play with other people some who just want to have fun, some who view it as a competition. We should respect all gameplay types. If you want to be 'hardcore' then stick with your crowd if you cannot tolerate other playstyles, and vice versa.

Cheers!
    drythorn, salazar and NemtheNoob like this.
  13. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Got to love those, who hates LFR and to prove how much LFR sucks queue up to go AFK. Maybe not lazy players, but the asshattery kind. If they did not exist, LFR would be ok for the target group with the lesser gear reward going with the lesser situational awareness required for it.
  14. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

heh. excusing something by saying its just a game is a horrible cop out.
    people expect others to try their best to get content down. if you have most of the group wanting to succeed you should expect to do your best to live up to that group.

also just cause someone isnt working with physical labor doesnt mean they are lazy. games take work to succeed at them so ya.

dont you want to win at everything you want to do?
    i do.
  15. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Problem is with the hardcore doing your best isn't good enough. You have to have all the right gear, etc., to even be considered. So, for those that do not have a lot of time to put in, you have to just treat it as a game, not a life. Of course, there are exceptions, I realize that, but from what I have read over the years I have it about right. That is fine and they are allowed that style as they work hard to get it and want to maximize their time efficiently, I get it, but don't consider those that just want to have fun lazy.

EDIT: and I didn't mean you directly, just quoted your post for context.
  16. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

well im not exactly calling someone lazy that just isnt skilled enough or doesnt have the right ammount of gear ect.
    its the people that do have the skill and the gear that just afk or do some other random <REDACTED> that you could play yakkidy sax to or however its spelled.

also if you dont have the skill to do higher end content you should stay away from that and do other things till you get the skill . im talking base skill and not oh you should know the content before youve even seen it on youtube or in game.

gear as well. do the content you can do till you can do better. if you never get to the point of being better that is sad but at least you arent wasting 39 other peoples time.

its a game until you involve other people . then the rules change.
  17. NemtheNoob

NemtheNoob New Cupcake

I think there are a lot of different factors in play for a lot of different types of people/players and that lumping them all in and calling them "lazy" isn't very fair. People have different reasons at different times for things, "life happens", and I think it's the responsibility of the guild/raid leader/individual to be very very clear what their expectations are in terms of time, availability, dedication, etc. I say this as a former hardcore raider and leader. You cannot have expectations for people, not communicate them and then say "Oh, well, Player/Raider X is just lazy".

Most people who play games want to do the best they can, that's part of being a gamer. Whether it's getting the best gear, doing the right challenges/dungeons/grinds, raiding, PVPing and whatever else, we all want to be the best. I think it's all of our responsibility, in order to make a good community, to understand that we all have to help each other. It's part of the game too! People learn game systems at different rates and by teaching, you help yourself learn it better also. If you see someone with wonky stats or mismatched gear, HELP THEM. If you see people asking honest questions in public chat, HELP THEM. If you see someone having problems in a dungeon, HELP THEM. It's the only way to build a community, a reputation and it helps cut back on the trolls! Also, it helps you feel better and LEARN better and you get to brag about all the cool stuff you know! People don't like thinks like LFD/LFR because no one communicates or help each other. There's no intra-personal ANYHING. It's empty, because people don't contribute, except to <REDACTED>/moan/make fun of noobs.

Be nice! Build a community! Adopt a noob! Everyone will be better for it. ;)

On the other hand, it's not any of your business why a person can't dedicate as much time to the game as you can, so maybe you should quit being nosy, be clear about your expectations and just deal with it? Or, if a noob asks you for help, you are completely within your rights to say "Nope, I don't want to help you". Every decision you make will have consequences, one way or the other, why not just be clear and upfront? If you (in general) come across looking like a dick, then maybe that's a problem with YOU and not the "zomg lazy cazualz".

(I'm being very general and am not calling out anyone in this thread. You are all awesome people that I cannot wait to play WildStar with!:D )
    Saybel and Carebear Commander like this.
  18. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

They did change how you acquire magic find. It's still lame :down: but at least players aren't gimping themselves now. You can still get booster and food buffs but it's no longer an attainable stat from gear in anyway....well, unless you consider all the salvaging of gear that is required to get the "fairy dust" that you apply to your account. It's also account wide. So all the MF that your level 80 acquired will transfer over to your new level one. It can reach as high as 300% but it takes a lot of salvaging to get there, something like 140k+, I believe is what's being theorized.

Regardless, I feel magic find is lame no matter how it's implemented as that essentially means drop rates are made exceptionally low to encourage the acquisition of it. If it's going to be in a game though, I feel it should be given as a temporary reward through skilled play that can be continuously earned through out play up to a cap. Such as avoiding specific skills that need to be avoided (not white hits) using specific avoidance skills (dodging:ninja: ), combo usage (GW2), interrupt usage (stuns, knock-backs, and the like), and maybe just getting through certain tougher than average fights untouched. After earning stacks, failing to perform and just a time limit would work to remove them, thereby continuously encouraging players to play well at all times.

:oops:
    Ugh, I think I said too much again. Must go to bed. :sleep:
    Thalendor and Livnthedream like this.
  19. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

2 things.

1 40man raids have always carried at least 15 people cept for naxx 40. you just couldnt get the required amount of people that also knew their roles and could follow simple directions.

2 the game could go a long way in helping its players to be better by training them. for instance on lower level mobs you can ignore the telegraph all together. on mid level mobs it would hurt more but you could still stand in it. on high level mobs though the telegraphs would be very painful almost as hard as some rare mop mobs . all that would make it so the game trains you and if you dont get it , you die till you do.
  20. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

I expect there to be more things for players to do solo, so having to carry lazy or incompetent players shouldn't be an issue.