1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar be a game that brings us nostalgia later on?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kluzu, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Kluzu

Kluzu Cupcake

What I want more than anything, is another game that I can get attached to and really call my hobby.

Something I've realized just now, coming from GW2. I've played GW2 since beta amassing 2k hours. I've done literally everything in the game . Everything. And I waited for the game for a long time before it came out, playing gw1 and a few other MMOs.

So, I played it so long and what not.. and I obviously kept playing for some reason.. but I'm looking back now and thinking.. I'll never have nostalgia tied to GW2. It was all cool and what not the first time, some stuff i didn't like, etc.. but nothing I'll ever look back and want to re-live. I've played AoC, Aion, WoW, WAR and GW1. They all gave me nostalgia, had parts that stood out to me that make me miss them even now.

I never really liked WoW. I didn't enjoy Aion too much, AoC I did love pvp-wise, and GW1 was my main game so I have a ton of memories tied to it. I did find little things I liked through out all of those games. But why do the games I didn't enjoy that much, but have cool little details give me a sense of nostalgia just like the games I definitely had an awesome time on? And why did GW2, a game I played more than all but gw1, not even bother me to leave behind? I can't think of anything I'd ever look back and enjoy in it, it was all so 'meh'.

Will Wildstar be one of those games? What exactly causes us to tie ourselves to a game so much that we're nostalgic about it? Is it how comfortably we can play the game? The amount of fun we have? How remarkably detailed parts of it are? Is it something a game developer can even control?

I -want- Wildstar to give me that kind of attachment. GW2 entirely fell short in many ways for me, and I did have some good times but it all felt overly done in some ways and lazy in others. And it was even more polished than any of the other games I've played by far, except for GW1 and WoW! And games are being made a certain way anymore, is it even possible for folks like me to feel that way towards newer games now?

Wildstar is looking to be better than any other MMO I've seen so far, and I can't exactly find anything wrong with it. (could use some blood an more mature themes in a few areas though /wink) If this turns out to be what I think it is (and trust me I'm not hyping over it) then it's going to be a memorable ride, and I hope it's one that we'll look back on in the time after it's gone.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

To me Nostalgia is a very personal thing. I get nostalgic for EQ and AO (Anarchy Online). I miss large challenging games, I miss truly complex and deep character building (nothing has been like AO in that regard). I miss "forced" interaction. These are some things that make me nostalgic for these two older games. No game sense has done these things well or differently to make me long for how they did it.

So, to answer your question, I don't think it will but, I can't be sure until I play. The two proposed features that might have a chance for me is the way character builds and stats on gear work together. Right now it sounds totally open and complex, we will have to see. The other is the paths system. If this is more than just a different way to quest then it could cause nostalgia, if not...

Just let it be fun, and a true world to get lost in, and I will be satisfied for a while.
    azmundai and Kluzu like this.
  3. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I have nostalgic memories for City of Heroes, but kinda in the same way that Bruce Wayne has nostalgic memories of his parents

shot dead in a dark alley before their time.
  4. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I thought so, originally. I am a little worried at present though. Too many of the systems are the reason I am not playing wow, rift, etc anymore. It has the potential .. it's really a wait and see thing for me atm.

UO/EQ to wow was an easy progression for me. I know some people think even vanilla wow was the beginning of the end .. and I see their points, but to me, if they had stuck to the core principles that were vanilla wow, I would still be playing it.

Not even the raid size shift either, though I do prefer the 40 mans, I still thought TBC was pretty dead on in terms of raid content.

The nostalgia for me is more rooted in the experience of getting into the game. leveling, crafting, group content ... wow kept me glued to my computer for 6 years or so ... basically until about 1/2 way through ICC, but if I am being honest with myself, the ezmode Naxx and Trial of w.e were the beginning of the end for me. Actually, clearing Zul Drak 4 levels below the bosses was the beginning of the end for me. The game just became overly simple.

It was the deaths, the hours of wipes that built memories, the faceroll content that emerged left zero impact on me.

So yea, tldr .. maybe?
    Zakis, kiri, Kluzu and 1 other person like this.
  5. Kluzu

Kluzu Cupcake

I'm hoping paths and houses open up the possibilities for forced interactions, as well as healing and tanking being the mix again compared to GW2's DPS-only PvE. I haven't seen much on gear, but what I have is how you said, seemingly complex and customizable. Although, as GW2 suffered this problem, stats need to be properly balanced. GW2 was just everyone using the same exact gear for every class and build in PvE in order to be optimal. I hope that we don't just stack 'damage stat' for DPS, 'defense stat' for tanking, and 'healing stat' for healing and just leave it at that.

We'll have to wait, that's for sure. Hopefully not too much longer :)
    Mudfin likes this.
  6. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I hope so but I'm not betting on it. Some say you can't ever really repeat the majesty of playing an MMO for the first time. Now THAT is some powerful nostalgia. Therefore, I'm a bit skeptical about developing any deep memories or nostalgia from MMOs nowadays, but perhaps Carbine can recreate the magic. We'll see, and at the very least, they could create a game that'll have me playing for years.
  7. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Cupcake

I agree. That is why I consider Karazhan to be the peak of WoW dungeon design. Each boss fight was unique fight and memorable.

Even the different trash mobs required different tactics to defeat instead of just dps through them.
    Dray, Zwipe and Mudfin like this.
  8. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

ive never agreed with that. UO, EQ, WoW and Vanguard all left me with an elevated sense of nostalgia. The fact is nothing that has come out since VG (and most people wouldn't include VG) has come close, while I was easily and meaningfully captivated by all 4 titles equally. VG was the best game ever made imo .. except that it wasn't :( but I still to this day find the content enjoyable .. if not barren.
    Mudfin likes this.
  9. Relapse

Relapse Cupcake

Doc: Marty! You gotta come back with me!

Marty: Where?!

Doc: Back To The Future!

Matry: ...Wait a minute what are you doing, Doc?

Doc: I need a Beta Application.

Doc: Come on quick! Get in the car.

Marty: No,no... look Doc, Neverwinter just came out I'm gonna give it a spin.

Doc: Forget Neverwinter it's a waste of time!

Marty: What are you talking about what happens in the future? Does WoW become good or something?

Doc: Oh no no no, WoW still sucks. Wildstar Marty, You gotta try out Wildstar!

Marty: Hold on, Doc. What about the nostalgia?

Doc: Nostalgia? Where we are going we don't need nostalgia!
    Gronky, Kataryna and Apostate like this.
  10. Bannish

Bannish New Cupcake

I know what you mean by the "Meh" feeling. I played DCUO when it came out for over a year and developed some great ties and moments from that game. I understand how you feel about GW2 because I thought that was going to be the one to get me too but it has not really. I hardly play it anymore. I am hoping and wishing that Wildstar does bring that great connection back to an MMO.

On the plus side of this game and your thoughts, I have been following this game for just a few months and have connected to a lot of great people talking about this game. I have joined a guild ran by some of these great people and cannot wait to play Wildstar with them. So I am very excited for that. So in my opinion it is off to a very good start.

I agree with you and support you in hoping that this will be the game that gets us going again.
    Kluzu likes this.
  11. Dayno

Dayno New Cupcake

My most nostalgic game has to be RuneScape. I used to play back in 2006 and got back into it when they brang back the old 2007 servers. It was good for a week but was never the same. The community sucks on that game now. But i won't be quitting WildStar so it's all good!
  12. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I have plenty of nostalgia back from when I played WoW too and a lot of great memories within it too. Naturally I'm a skeptic but I would love to be proven wrong with Wildstar. Let's see what Carbine can cook up.

Speaking of cooking... >_>
  13. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

I find that nostalgia/affection for a game tends to come from the degree of player involvement/investment it encourages. City of Heroes (seriously, WildStar is the only hope NCSoft has of me not hating them forever for what they did to CoH)had incredible customization, both aesthetically and mechanically. The urge to fiendishly grind those levels to get that next big power was a big deal to me at the time. I remember starting a fresh Arachnos Soldier and grinding through 20 levels of underpowered gameplay to finally hit 20 and BECOME A GOD OF AOE HAVOC. And the glory of things like Mayhem missions, where your goal was "stampede through this neighborhood, causing as much collateral damage as superhumanly possible, then rob this bank at the other side". God, that was sweet.

Seriously, NCSoft: you are in debt to all the fans of Paragon for one great MMO. But I digress.

WildStar has a promising mix of sandbox and themepark elements. You'll be able to log stupid amounts of hours customizing your character, your house, potentially even your playstyle within your favorite class. And then, when you've done that (or while you're doing it), there's tons of stuff to get out there and do. So far, the game promises the best of both worlds in a way few other games have. If it can live up to those promises, I don't see how I could NOT make some sweet, sweet memories with it.
    Zwipe, Vyver and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  14. Whatley

Whatley Cupcake

If it never ends we won't need Nostalgia :D
  15. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

NCSoft has a blood debt that can never be repaid.

Unless..like GW2 died I guess. That game is like their baby.

Blood for blood.
    Apostate likes this.
  16. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

Predicting nostalgia is like predicting the future, you can guess all you want but until the game is here you wont feel it
  17. WakeskaterX

WakeskaterX Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think I'll ever feel the same nostalgia as WoW. I'm a different person now. I played WoW during vanilla and still have some of the best memories from that time. Pokemon when I was in 6th grade when it came out (red/blue) was also huge on nostalgia. Does anything really compare these days? Not really.

Part of that is that I'm older, an adult now. I see things from a more realist perspective and not with a childlike fascination. Another part is that I design games so I see the little things that bug me and dissect parts of the game instead of purely enjoying it. (Not all the time, but this tends to be a bad habit.)

As I get older I find things bring me less nostalgic type enjoyment. I fall into routines that I like and it becomes increasingly harder for something to bring that kind of Nostalgia of when I was younger. That said, maybe Wildstar can do it, but I think it's unfair to them to EXPECT it.
  18. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

Nostalgia is always personal, and i can say i have nostalgia about almost every game i have ever played even the bad ones. Good and bad memories alike is usually something we can laugh at after a while :)
  19. Dray

Dray New Cupcake

I'm really hoping Wildstar brings this for me, the last mmo i had nostalgia for was aion and that was only in the CBTs, before then was WoW vanilla and BC, its been awhile since I've been aching to log onto a game when I'm away from it.

A big thing for me has always been the community I play with, just hasn't been the same in the last few games.
  20. Castagere

Castagere New Cupcake

Man i miss AO (Anarchy Online) That was my first mmo back in 2000. I couldn't wait to get home and login. I also had real life friends that played the game which made it really great. I don't think games do that anymore because they have such lousy communities in them. I blame this on Wow. I pretty much solo these games now. I never ever do pugs. Maybe its that i'm getting older and just don't like playing with most of the people that play these games today. I do hope that this game changes that. I would love to find a guild with older people in it.
    Mudfin likes this.