1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar be a game that brings us nostalgia later on?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kluzu, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Rundo

Rundo Cupcake

For me its the people you play with that creates nostalgia. If you are in a great guild full with awesome people, then you will have plenty of good and fun times that you will remember later on.
  2. LemuresXL

LemuresXL New Cupcake

Impossible to say right now. I know that the mmo that still gives me the most of that though is good ol Asherons Call.
  3. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

I certainly hope Wildstar has the same effect MMOs like WoW have had. I look back on so many moments in WoW positively, even though there were certainly negative experiences, more so later in my WoW career. Although there are older MMOs I've played that I can look back on, my experience with them are either negative (FFXI) or too short and no real defining moments or experiences (AO). Wildstar looks like it will have plenty of set pieces, environments, and a community to allow for many nostalgic feelings a decade or more down the line.
  4. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

I think we are all chasing that first moment that made us get all gooey inside (first boss kill, first gank in pvp etc.)

I hope I get that feeling again here, or else I will be chasing that green dragon forever :(
    Mudfin likes this.
  5. ReapRHTB

ReapRHTB New Cupcake

When I think of nostalgia typically it's something primitive like N64 was amazing because I look back now and laugh how ridiculous the controller was and how I could duel wield ak47s... so I hope I have memories of this game but typically I tend to remember games for flaws and how I overt came the crazy things the game made me due like in 60 WoW or Aion grinding mobs with audio books for hours. Things I do not want to do again but look back on and relive it instantly.
  6. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

A lot of my nostalgia for Warcraft in its original 2004-2006ish form came from the fact that the major quests and atunements were difficult and required a team in a lot of cases to accomplish. A team that would stick together for hours at a time finishing the Onyxia quest line, or a team that would struggle together in difficult dungeon content that you didn't cruise through in 15 minutes without having to slow down and worry about anything. We had some amazing saves and ridiculously funny goofs that just made the whole experience great. Doing things together and struggling a bit makes you appreciate things more in my experiences.

A lot of nostalgia also was due to the fact that before instantaneous travel and teleportation became the norm, and mounts weren't something that you had access to until realtively late in the game, you were generally forced to explore every nook and cranny and discover things for yourself without the game or mods telling you where to go and what to do in the most efficient way possible.

The game felt more grandiose and large and real because of all these things. A paladin or warlock getting their endgame mount was an awesome thing back in the day because you needed to do a quest chain and team up to get it done, so you actually appreciated it instead of "oh, I've hit level 60 or 40 or 10 or whatever it's at now, I'll just pay my trainer for my awesome gold horsey".

Another thing that really hits the nostalgia button for me in games was memorable personalities such as Hemet Nessingwary, Marshall Windsor, that crazy dwarf in the alliance camp in the Burning Steppes, the list goes on. A lot of more modern mmo games don't really have those types of things or you can just steamroll through everything so you don't notice.

Just tossing out things that hit the nostalgia button for me. Hopefully Wildstar can recreate a few of those types of things. I think they have the personality thing down, not sure about any of the other stuff yet.
    Apostate and kiri like this.
  7. Treylor

Treylor New Cupcake

My nostalgic game is Star Wars: Galaxies. there was just so much to do at anytime you wanted, and it had by far one of the best housing systems ever
  8. Impaler

Impaler Cupcake

It is impossible to say right now. I think it all depends on how attached you feel to the world, epic/funny/memorable moments you have while soloing or grouping and "iconic" characters/zones that bring out emotion.
  9. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

Nostalgia is just remembering happy moments from your past, so as long your past MMOs weren't totally rubbish then I expect most people feel nostalgia for most of their past MMOs.

The only MMO I played for a long time that I don't feel nostalgic for is SW:TOR. Took me three weeks to level to cap at a casual pace, but after a few days the novelty of voice overs had worn off so I was just skipping most conversations. Endgame was weak. PvP was weak. Class design was weak. The game just completely lacked finesse in its design. I played it until just before the "expansion" in a desperate attempt to like the game but eventually had to admit that I was simply addicted to MMOs and that SW:TOR was the biggest pile of turd ever.

My fondest memories from an MMO are from LOTRO. I maintain that, for a themepark MMO, it has some of the best designed and executed content and systems that I've seen in MMOs. The only thing it lacked was the amount of content. However, that didn't really become an issue until about 15months in but those first 15 months were amazing. I learnt to raid, I learnt to pvp, I learnt how to lead and run a successful guild but most of all, it was the only time when I've been in a raiding guild that wasn't full of idiots! For some reason all our raiders were nice people who were also aware of their own abilities. The ones who weren't very good were aware of the fact so it meant no issues arose. It made raiding an amazing amount of fun and learning the Rift of Nurz Ghashu was absolutely great, killing the final boss (the balrog) was an awesome feeling, one I'd love to recreate again but realise that I probably never will.
  10. Lylliannah

Lylliannah New Cupcake

I feel the same way about GW2 and some other new games I've put a lot of time into. While I do like the games, they just don't give me that same sense of belonging. I am hoping that WildStar will become my new virtual home, but part of me doesn't want to put all of my eggs into one basket.
  11. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Cupcake

When it comes to nostalgia, the first night Burning Crusade was released, that moment for me was stepping through the Dark Portal into Outland. The zone designs were so much more detailed, the quests and mobs so much more refined that WoW Vanilla.

Burning Crusade felt epic.
  12. Wubzorz

Wubzorz Cupcake

I feel like a big part of that nostalgic feeling is reliant on social interaction in the game.
    Nothing creates long lasting memories than experiencing a game with others.
  13. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Man, I jumped to make games when I was still in high school (practice in one of the pro game companies). After a year I left them because I could put apart any game, which killed all the fun of playing them for me. I've got so scared of loosing that something, that mystery related to not knowing how they work that I didn't want to do games any more. I'm happy ever since working 7h per day having lots of time to play them instead of working on them 18h per day :D I honestly consider myself lucky leaving quickly enough. Maybe if I joined later when I was much older it would be different but loosing interest to play games when you are so young is very scary, especially for somebody who could not imagine his life without games.