1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will wildstar be a huge flop.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by WSN UnUs, Jul 7, 2013.

?

Will wildstar flop?

Poll closed Jul 17, 2013.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. No

107 vote(s)
    43.1%
  3. To early to tell.

130 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. WSN UnUs

WSN UnUs Cupcake

2. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

3. Evolva

Evolva Cupcake

There are very few mmo's that failed. I can't remember a AAA mmo that failed.

Swtor didn't fail, GW2, didn't fail, Warhammer Online didn't fail, Rift didn't fail... and so on.

Failure in an mmo, imo implies not making enough money to pay the cost of production. Every and each one of the mmo i gave as an example not only got back the investment made but they made profit too.

So, no. Wildstar won't be a failure.

Unless that by failure you mean if Wildstar will hit 12 million players. In that case it will probably be a huge fail.
    Wolvy, Sayantan, Afrotech and 2 others like this.
  4. Isil

Isil Cupcake

Personally I don't think so. Carbine is taking the time they need to get it done right, which is the first and most important step in avoiding an epic fail.

The biggest danger of a game that tries to do it all and do it to a high standard, is that the more aspects you implement the more can go wrong and Wildstar certainly is going all in. If the PvE is not what is promised the PvE players will say the game is epic fail, if the PvP is not up to scratch then the PvP'ers will say the game is fail and so forth.

In the end it depends on what people categorize as en epic fail, is a game failing if it does not get the same subscription numbers as WoW? No, but many players seem to think that is the case.
    I personally expect a solid game, and hopefully a game I can spend a couple or more years on, I don't expect everything that was promised right from the get-go, that is being unrealistic (and experience has taught me not to) but I expect it either fixed or implemented reasonably quick after launch.

That combined with regular (relative term I know) content updates to keep things fresh and I will be a happy camper.
  5. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

Swtor and GW2 weren't economical failure i give you that, but they truly were failure as MMOs and at gamedesigning.

I can't see Wildstar failing in that same optic, it just have the "spark".
  6. Symphus

Symphus New Cupcake

All I can do is hope for the best, I really like what I've seen from this game.
  7. Woke

Woke Cupcake

Why do people make these justification statements about past AAA MMOs? All because they make back all or most of money from production doesn't vindicate the game as far as being a success. If anything they could be considered Failures even though they are a Mediocre MMO.

If you state you are producing a Top of the Line Product or have Top of the Line Employees and Money or have the Hype and you end up producing an Average product but make the majority/all of the money invested back does that make it not a failure? Pretty sure that would be considered a waste of time and a failure. If anything you want to at least Triple/Quadruple your money invested and have a good revenue outlook for the future, especially if it took 5 to 6 years of development.

I personally have no doubt that Wildstar can easily be a Mediocre MMO if you define that as Success, however it still is to soon to see if they live up to their promises and we still need some clarification on some Game Design in certain Areas.

I am probably in the minority with the Number debate, however I do believe Player Pop. is a way to determine success. Wildstar will get a good portion of Players at release and if they can maintain 1 or 2 million of them and have a steady increase of Players for the first year. (even if it is a small increase) I would consider it a Successful launch, then we can get into maintaining success.
  8. Littleman

Littleman New Cupcake

If we're looking at 100,000 subscribers strong after first year, I'd say Wildstar is on the good track. WoW is a fluke: it had a decade of RTS' and loot-pinata RPG fanbases to draw from, and hopped into the genre with Joe Casual the soloer in mind, when every other MMO at the time was this super grindy, punishing, group-required-for-even-world-trash design that put off the nerds and shut-ins that couldn't make friends. I know by that same reasoning, Any Star Wars MMO and the upcoming "The Eldar Scrolls Online" should be friggin' huge, but it stands to reason from fandom alone it will do pretty well until the developers royally f*** their game up (and in both cases in regards to Star Wars, they did.)

Also, F2P actually helps bring in larger numbers of people, and statistically greater profits. The pay-to-play model is well on the way out, like it or not. WoW has that mind-set cornered, and no MMO can stand up to it and the "but I'm already accomplished in WoW" BS that keeps driving morons back to it when they consider the monthly fee and the time it takes to get back to the stage of their career where they sit around town hoping to be inspected and gawked at while they complain there is nothing to do not even a week after that latest update hit, and despite everything they could do besides chasing the best gear.

...You could say I'm a bit jaded with MMO communities.
  9. vicksen

vicksen Cupcake

This is really asking the wrong audience. Here at WSC, most of us are already huge fans of the game--and in our eyes most definitely it won't flop :) But in all objectivity, I HIGHLY doubt it will flop. If it achieves even half of my expectations (which are truly not very high) it will be a success.

Also, talking about payment models makes the mods upset :)
  10. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

SWTOR was very close to an economic disaster,the game's cost was around 200 mil dollars,and they recouped that money very late.It desperately went B2P,and they started operating on a profit with questionable cash shop decisions.Rift and Warhammer did decent,GW 2 on the other hand did spectacularly good (that success is started to diminish in the EU/NA markets though),they covered production costs the first week the game was out.
    Sayantan likes this.
  11. WSN UnUs

WSN UnUs Cupcake

Warhammer ... Bioware filed for bankruptcy. Tsw laid off then went free to play...
  12. Evolva

Evolva Cupcake

Warhammer wasn't from Bioware until very late after the game was released. It was from Mythic. And the game made profit.
    Also, TSW is not f2p... And when the game went b2p it was for 2 weeks the 2nd best selling game on steam. They made profit too.
  13. Warslyfe

Warslyfe Cupcake

I don't see Wild star failing from an economic sense, but whether they maintain a large subscriber base for any amount of time is anyone's guess. There are some major players begin released in the market over the next year that will be pretty stiff competition for any new MMO trying to plant it's flag.
  14. They

They New Cupcake

I didn't receive an email notification even after subscribing
  15. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

TESO will be TORTANIC 2.0 mark my words, they're making all the same mistakes SWTOR did: monolith production costs, way to much emphasis on levelling content, no endgame (which they're trying to pr spin as a feature).
    Not to mention the pure contempt the devs have for the source material, That game will have the biggest release ever for an MMO just like TORTANIC then sink like a stone after 3months.
    Wolvy, Sayantan and Livnthedream like this.
  16. NewGuy

NewGuy Cupcake

so are we talking business wise or game play wise? assuming either is almost just a pretentious as assuming Wild Star will be some monumental success.

It will have its bumps in the road sure all MMO's do, but from how word about Wildstar has spread recently I can definitely see Wildstar doing just fine.

But who knows?
    Witless likes this.
  17. Rizlah

Rizlah Cupcake

I dont get how player pop is a sign of success? Every somes to diss and rag on CoD games yet the VAST majority play it. Doesnt mean the newest CoD is the best of the CoDs, heck some will even say BO2 is the worst. Yet BO2 players base is huge.

Also Swtor gw2 and rift still have a STEADY playerbase every mmo has drops in playerbase their player base within the first 6months. Hell WoW wasnt that popular in Vanilla(yet people forget that).

One of the biggest reasons i believe WoW is still popular today is because of is availability to the market. I can play that game with a very very old laptop with almost no problems because of the number of options for their graphic settings. For another game to be just as big they will have to be able to please this market. I mean WoWs endgame has gone to <REDACTED> and yet people play so "endgame" cant be the problem with Swtor or GW2, but the fact they arent as popular is because their graphical settings isnt as available to most of the market.

I hope you understood what i meant lol
  18. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

To early. I have high hopes though.
  19. Evolva

Evolva Cupcake

And by Tortanic do you mean AOC? lol
  20. Woke

Woke Cupcake

I think you are arguing more about whether Player Pop. defines whether the Game is good or not to certain Players. I was stating having a higher Player Pop. can define success, since well "most" of the time in MMOs a high Player Pop. mean the game is somewhat good or at least appeasing to a lot of people.

Of course payment models impact this as well. Most people at least with a little common sense aren't going to Sub to a Game unless it is good. Also a High Player Pop. at least means you are making or have an increased chance of making a lot of money. Once again depends on the Payment Model to a degree.

I disagree a little. Yes, they have a steady player base. However, for all the money invested and hype for those games. I would grade them on a different scale from an Average MMO scale. An Average MMO would be happy will a small to moderate player base like the MMOs you have listed and with the miniscule profit they made and are making. They have Topped out. If anything they will see nothing more than a Decline in the years to come.

In my opinion for an AAA MMO to say they are a Success is to have a Solid Player Base around at least 1 million and have a growing Player Base to go along with there Solid Player Base. (not saying it has to be a large growing base, but it does need one) You want to see the MMO thriving and believe that the best days are ahead, and not that it has Topped Out and now it will simply stay the path.

I agree to a degree with the graphics being an addition, but I don't know if it as critical as you state. Swtor's main issues weren't graphics. It was solely that the game was released before it was polished and ready, as well as the Endgame was lacking. GW2 I never played, since I saw the flaws before it was released and I am not a fan of Sandbox MMOs. (Very similar flaws to why Elder Scrolls will fail) The reasons WoW is still popular is simple, they don't really have any competition and it has a Solid Player Base and they keep them happy with content, etc... However, WoW has seen its best days and will continue to slowly lose Subs.

WoW is also not a good measuring Tool to Define Success, since it is obviously the exception and we will probably never see another MMO reach its numbers until we get SAO.:eek:

I do have some hope in Wildstar though. They aren't trying to reinvent the Wheel. They are simply modifying the Wheel. This is where I believe past MMOs have failed. They either attempt to reinvent the Wheel or they don't modify the Wheel enough.