1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will wildstar be a huge flop.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by WSN UnUs, Jul 7, 2013.

?

Will wildstar flop?

Poll closed Jul 17, 2013.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. No

107 vote(s)
    43.1%
  3. To early to tell.

130 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. Compella

Compella Cupcake

I don't know if they prefer it. A lot of the time they are grinding their set pieces, the only source of which is battlegrounds.

Everyone I know prefers WPvP over instanced PvP. While we may not necessarily be a majority (I don't have any statistics) but those people ARE out there.
  2. jackashflash

jackashflash Cupcake-About-Town

You get rewarded for it. You get honor points for killing people. Stumbling around randomly across the entire continent ts just a insanely inferior method to run across other players.

Beyond that there is no way to incentivize it, and I don't think there should be additional awards for it. Its little more than ganking, which should be its own reward. Also, how does it work on PvE servers? Have you put any thought into that?

Like I said, when that Triple A MMO comes out you let me know. Only been like 10 years, but yah... just around the corner.
  3. Compella

Compella Cupcake

I agree, collecting your prestige currency via WPvP would not be efficient at all.

I think it has to remain purely as a form of fun and not incentive based. I would like to see them create more opportunities for it though, such as no flying or queueing, some people will be against this tho and I understand that.

One thing is for sure, once I have capped by weekly prestige, I won't be doing anymore battlegrounds.
  4. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

I love wpvp also but I applauded instanced pvp when it came because it gave pvp'ers their own game with it's own rewards instead of being at the mercy of pve and dungeon crawling but, I'm not sure even Blizzard realized it would come at such a major cost to wpvp.

The tricky part now in an age where no one will do anything without reward no matter how much fun it is, is giving wpvp'ers rewards without that reward unbalancing the game.

As I pointed out in an earlier post Carbine is offering xp rewards for level appropriate faction kills and thats a good start at least until elder game.
  5. Compella

Compella Cupcake

Pretty much, and yeah the XP rewards will definitely help.

I WPvP for fun tho, not for rewards.

Also maybe it was just my server but I felt that battlegrounds without the UI queue actually helped because people HAD to leave cities to do instanced PvP. We would go to the opposing factions BG portal and create some havoc AND there were more people in the world in general which created those random encounters.

Ahwell, hopefully they create the ideal environment for it to flourish!
  6. Afrotech

LOL Of course there's no way to incentivize wpvp from your biased, short sighted point of view after reading your posts this is predictable.

Obviously the PvE rule set applies to owpvp .
  7. jackashflash

If you make separate rewards you screw anyone on PvE server, and you are getting the same rewards as everyone else in BGs, honor points already. So yah, its nonsense. But you let me know when the MMO comes out...
  8. Afrotech

I applaud you for this my connection to owpvp came from SWG and vanilla WoW when challenge and notoriety was reward enough but that concept was popular in a time when server communities tended to be tighter.

It seems like such a waste that the developers spend so much time and resources to craft these huge worlds and ultimately the only thing we use it for at end game is farming all the rest of the time we fly over the open world spend most of our time in instanced pve/pvp and teleport directly to our destinations.

I suppose the Path system was born to address this but in a war setting wpvp seems more natural to the atmosphere at least to me.
    Sonntam and Compella like this.
  9. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

<Moderator growl> Calm down peeps! You don't need to be hostile, and please avoid personal attacks! </Moderator growl>
  10. Afrotech

Short sighted translation .."I can't think of a solution so its not possible".

Tell this to people paying real cash currency for armor and weapon skins in many if not most MMO's these days.
    If people will pay real money sometimes on top of a subscription fee for cosmetics then it stands to reason that it has enough value that people would grind for it with in game currency or reputation.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Meanwhile, listen to this mod's soothing growl and bask in the vibes of his tranquilizing melody!
    Myrrdhinn likes this.
  12. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

<Moderator growl> I've just warned all of you in this thread... Please do not continue this hostility, and try not talk about payment stuff.
    Next time, I'll lock this thread! </Moderator growl>
  13. jackashflash

No solution is infinitely better than a bad one.

These same people would pay even more for stated gear. Games generally avoid selling those though, as its P2W. Regardless, if I can get good looking gear from doing real PvP, then there is no need to get merely cosmetic junk from world pvp.

Also, your idea screws over the PvE guys, which I said from the start. They aren't worthy of cosmetic gear at anything but a snails pace?

So, yah. Doesn't work.
  14. Afrotech

But, the conversation isn't about stat gear or P2W or even micro transactions it's about cosmetics acquired through ingame currency or rep that won't cause an imbalance by creating a new tier and who are you to dictate what "real" pvp is?

Your opinion on this "cosmetic junk" and its value is not consistent with what is happening.

If you acknowledge that these people exist and that they will pay cash currency then you have to see that acquiring these rewards through ingame currency or rep is also viable and people see value in it.

How does it screw them over? PvE servers have wpvp also the only difference is it is consensual of course the grind would be much harder because you will have less people interested in wpvp on a PvE server.

Saying things like its impossible or it doesn't work over and over doesn't make a good argument.
    Sonntam likes this.
  15. PlayerOne

PlayerOne Cupcake-About-Town

That makes you the oldest person I have ever spoken to on the internet.
  16. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Please stop stating your subjective opinions as fact. The question posed by the OP is speculative. We all are making statements based off of opinions that may or may not happen or be true. When you present your a opinions as fact you diminish your statements. Not that you actually care..

That's his style of argument, especially when he is shown to be wrong or shown to miss the point.
  17. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I have read very few responses, but I will say that any project that makes back it's cost quickly and sustains a revenue that will pay for employees and future development is a success. If you have to drag the payback out too long eventually it could lead to trouble.

That being said, in my heart I would say WS will make it, but in my head I would have to say it is too early to tell. The masses can be fickle.
  18. Sayantan

Sayantan Cupcake

@OP-

Success and/or failure is rather relative concept. Using WoW as a yardstick has become rather common within the fanbase. If a game doesn't live upto WoW's peak of 10+ million worldwide subscribers, then it is not deemed a success. Unfortunately, the same mentality percolates to the investors as well. People investing into MMO development and putting money into a publisher, often expect WoWesque return. This is a problem.

After following so many MMOs over the last decade and a half, I have come to realize that WoW infact is the outlier and not the yardstick in MMO development.

Even Blizzard cannot duplicate WoW's economic success. I suspect they realized that when they scrapped their Titan project.

Let W* find its own corner in the market. Lets not compare it with WoW. There's plenty of room in the MMO market. And I would consider W* fairly successful if they can maintain a 750K=1Mil sub consistently over 2-3 years.
    Witless likes this.
  19. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

I have friends on vent who constantly talk trash about how GW2 was a massive flop. I'm talking to deaf ears, since they won't acknowledge their growing development team or frequent updates, and they're still dead-set on warzones in SWTOR.
  20. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Flop? No. But to deny that Gw2 is in massive decline is absurd. The quarterly report speaks voumes.