1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar be a success?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by LifeIsShort, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

He didn't even bother to correct the glaring spelling mistake in his opening statement during his copypasta..../sigh...maybe i should go through and be his spell check...that would be more useful waste of my time ;)
    Mellkor and Extatica like this.
  2. Stich

Stich Cupcake

i can see from the beta footage that wildstar is ten times more successful than SWTOR ever could be. the only reason that game is alive is because people enjoy fighting with glowing dildos
  3. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

the blaster and lightsaber sound effects are spot on too. You don't miss them until you play with the soundFX off completely bu they honestly add a lot to the game. Which is sad if that's a major feature that holds players instead of meaningful gameplay or an entertaining world to inhabit.
  4. Stich

Stich Cupcake

like i said, playing with glowing dildos, swtor, holds, no future after wildstar, eso, and wod, are released
  5. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

The game can survive, just off the star wars fans alone. :p
  6. ImpactHound

Especially when they're the ones now plopping hundreds of dollars into the cash shop for cosmetic outfits and mounts and dyes. I have a friend who went from his normal sub to buying an additional $40 per month on cartel coins, plus occasionally paying for a few poorer friend's subscriptions on and off, so what was previously a single customer now pays 6x or more what he did originally as an ordinary subscriber under the old model.

I've seen posts on the official forums where people admit to having dropped $200, $800, and $2,000 into the market at different times just for this junk, and the discussion never goes well. Interestingly enough they don't get insulted much, it's the BioWare defenders bashing anyone who criticizes how someone spends their money that way. :confused:
  7. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Who are you (or they) to criticize someone for spending cash on their hobby? How many hobbies do you have that you would spend that much on if you could?
  8. Voison

Was looking for this image to post, but was laying on bed on my laptop. :p

Article: http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/
    [​IMG]

Anyone who thinks "F2P" means a game is dead/dying, is a fool. :)

I've spent well over $500+ on LoL, like $100 on Tera, $100 on GW2, and who knows how much on other MMOs. :p Like dream said, its a hobby and its our money.
    Ianpact and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

And another post that completely makes the OP look like a fool :up:

Ps: 500 on LoL? Please atleast say me you're Gold/Plat ranked?
    I always find it strange when I see people pay up hundreds of euro's on a game they suck in. But that may just be me :D
  10. Voison

I like to look pretty.... :notworthy:
    Ianpact likes this.
  11. Livnthedream

I keep buying Starcraft 2 expansions and I can barely get into silver. I am terrible at the game because I don't go and study build orders and practice micro. I still enjoy screwing around though. Just building mass defense and wrecking a guy with 30 Thor's is hilarious.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Oke but for SC2 I can see it more then for a game as LOL....SC2 has more solo things in it.
    But again it's just my thought about it....like i've seen peeps have all skinns in LOL while they didn't even know how to play that characer at all (they buy the skinns before they have even played that champ 1 time), those things I found strange.
  13. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

First, I read the whole thing. But judging from many replies here, you got a lot of people confused in the first few paragraphs as to what your point really is (pro/con etc), it would be nice to put an emphasis of your main point up front so people can keep reading...

Now to the topic, I agree with quite a lot of what you've said (let's ignore the details, important thing is your conclusion...), I too also spotted this game and expect it to be great since many months ago. I just have two points to add: first, you were talking about ignoring the eastern demographics for now which I understand for arguments' sake, but I certainly hope Carbine keeps them in mind. Second, you were talking about GW2 as if there's nothing good from it, but I'm sure many games including Wildstar has taken quite some tips from it, it's got several good things going, but obviously some bad.

The Asian market, as you already said, is huge. And it's growing especially with China's rise. And its players are very very loyal to a game, they're sticky and that's great news for games. They're also ridiculous spenders for game related things, you must know this already. I think Carbine should at least keep them in mind, it's just too big of a pool to shy away from or not consider. As long as the general mechanism allows things like extensive politics/social interaction, all the other things can come later. And we see that Carbine has that aspect built into the game in the form of warplots and war parties, let's see if they'd take it to the next step with say weekly rankings and other things that promotes player competition/unification.

Now as for GW2, first of all I played a bit of GW1 after I've played WoW, and wasn't all that impressed. So I didn't really expect TOO much when I started GW2 beta --- Maybe it was because of that, I was really surprised by a lot of good things that happened in there. The questing experience was great, combat was fun (for very challenging contents, it is harder than Tera or Dragon Nest by quite a bit), and I really really liked the personal story dialogues during which I could see my own character clear and in action. GW2 was almost a perfect for me, almost. But glaring problems are glaring problems. No end game, no challenges, I even went out of my way to create challenges for myself like 2 manning dungeons and fractals or go into dungeons with newbie gears, but eventually just got fed up 'cause I felt stupid and pointless doing those things after a while. Then I took a look at Wildstar and said: hey, it's action combat, I really like the art style so I'm going to have so much fun making characters look good, AND it promises end game content! It's all that I liked about GW2 + things that GW2 couldn't do!

Like you said, after a decade of gaming a lot of veteran gamers already know what they like, and we're cautious enough to validate our assumptions with things like videos over and over. I represent a mixture of challenge seeker (min-max and theory-crafting and everything) and art-nut (mainly characters, how they look and how they move), so I believe that quite a number of people who belong to each of those categories would be very interested in Wildstar. Some of the other things, well obviously I care too, but probably not to the extend which I can steer people with confidence.

In the end we agree, it's trying to cover a lot of essential ingredient, and it really pinches at the right places. I have one surprise after another after researching about the game and discovering that it's got features that interest me in so many unexpected places (player housing for example, warplots is another example, jumping puzzles and home building, etc etc). I would've been satisfied just with the original combat + endgame combo alone.
  14. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

A few things with this, since we both know you aren't really ''up-to-date'' with what WS is planning in Asia.

First the orange part:
    Carbine is already active in South Korea and who knows in China/Japan aswell. Carbine knows what to do, they know the Asian market and they know they need them to make even more profit!

However! You can't just ''ship-in'' a western game without changing A (HELL) LOT of stuff in-game. Several asian countries have certain rules and beliefs and even likings. Wildstar does their best to make it fit for them aswell, but for that to happen they have to change the art-style, remove skulls etc. etc. etc.

But they are working on it!

(Korean press video)

As for the White part:
    There are already all kind of different rankings in play, both PvP AS PvE rankings. There will be player competition in all various ways. Don't always forget that they have provided the community with some freedom. We can create our own ''rankings'' with the houses aswell, post the house on a website and make a voting system to see which house is the most beautifull/scary etc. (they can do that on their official website aswell, would make a great competition/challenge for housers).
  15. Enkidu

Enkidu Cupcake-About-Town

That was my game of the year! Wonderful game! Everyone should try it.
  16. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

2,000 on a cartel shop? Please, 2,000$ would pay for half a box of warhammer 40k dudes - not even the paint that needs to come with it. So all of y'all need to get to my level. :p

One day I'll win the Texas lottery and I can buy five whole boxes of those things.
  17. Livnthedream

Rofl. Even with hyperbole.
  18. Enkidu

Enkidu Cupcake-About-Town

I highly doubt this is the case, but this post just tends to give off a jealous vibe because others have the means and desire to "their" money on their hobby. Or are you bitter because you feel these players are detracting from your enjoyment of the game because they spend extra money on coins and items off the market?

I rarely see judge say a car or pc enthusiast in the same fashion, though when I do encounter those types they often judge because they are jealous, which I could see why someone would be envious of a super gaming rig or a nice car fully tuned.

Though I highly doubt that would be the case for pixels bought with cash since that would just be silly, so please tell me why are you so bitter and judgmental when it comes to how people spend their money?
  19. ImpactHound

I actually made a thread for this in the 'Other gaming' sub forum a day or two ago, but as long is a mod is cool with it in General... :whistling:

I don't have an issue with cash shops or microtransactions in general in the PC gaming space. My gripe with the Cartel Market and SWTOR fans buying into it is that it's a LOT of money for total garbage(in my opinion). Not only are the most desirable items typically in random lottery boxes, the direct buy items with a fixed Cartel Coin price are insultingly high for what you get.

For example, SWTOR and GW2 both sell dyes for armor. In SWTOR, dyes are a single use modifier to armor that can be overwritten but not re-used or moved. All the dyes you can make as a player are generally undesirable, and the exclusive colors people want(like pure black or white) are priced at $10 to $20. Meanwhile, GW2 colors are not only all inexpensive comparatively on the in-game market, you can craft or find them in-game with some luck, and if you went the most direct route of buying gems-to-ingamegold-to-AH, you're paying pennies for a premium color that is reusable(on the same character only).

Direct purchase mounts in the Cartel Market have been in the $25 range for things like the recent tauntaun or christmas mounts. WoW has had the same price point for cash mounts, but comparatively Blizzard has put a ton of art hours into a really stand-out uniqueness to each cash mount, with new textures, unique & desirable particle effects, etc. SWTOR's cash tauntaun was a(bland) palette swap and one of the least desirable speeders that looks like a floating lawnmower was strung up with X-mas lights blinking on it.

League of Legends used to have a track record of lazy palette swaps in the 2009ish era for money reskins, but they have since vastly upped the quality benchmark for anything new released, updated splash art for old lazy skins kept, and retired inferior product. They've also kept champions available thru cash purchase or in-game earnings with regular price drops and sales over the years. Likewise, GW2 has kept their market options open for money or in-game acquistion and while they don't place on the top 10 chart above, their attitude towards customers and how they market have me spending with them and not EA.

If you're a Star Wars fan and like giving BioWare/EA your money to have full access to their game, I understand how F2P with premium access works. If you're giving above and beyond your subscription to re-buy things you already own across multiple characters or on generally lazy cosmetics, then I think you're paying for inferior products and reserve the right to express that politely. Which I did. Optional purchases in Warcraft, League of Legends, GW2, Tera are all worthwhile to an active player and fan in my opinion. 95% of what SWTOR offers does not hold up to the same standards of quality that competing games offer in my opinion.

Any "bitterness or jealousy" should only be interpreted as general disapproval that players are voting for low standards with their wallets. Additionally, the community does not take what I think is a reasonable criticism seriously about expecting better without a lot of backlash and Devil's Advocating.
  20. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

That is great news! Thank you for sharing, you're right that I didn't know what they were planning for Asia... And good to see that they are! Them making money = them making and building upon a better game = we profit too!

I joined a guild on Chinese Blade & Soul (they don't speak much English but, some of them can roughly keep me updated) and I was in quite a bit of shock as to how much they spend on games. Several people from my guild alone admitted that they spent up to $10000 a year on mmos, and that's US dollar. On one hand I think it's bizarre but on the other hand, you should see how serious these people are about games --- Not necessarily hardcore players, but are very immersed in games and online communities. That's when I realized on F2P games make money --- there are big spenders out there, 100 of them will be more than enough to feed the development team, and the rest is just pure profit...

Anyways I digress, I hope Carbine make a profit over there, so they have more funding for further development and we get to share the goodies.