1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar be a success?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by LifeIsShort, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

I've always been interested in the fine details of how the market is shaped over there. I get that gaming is done in cafes and not in homes or personal space, but I'm curious how much is actually spent for outright playtime by people, and then how many microtransactions for items or boosts are done on top of that. Anecdotal I guess, I wish I had friends overseas to tell me how much they play, what content they do, etc. rather than the broad averages you get with normal journalism covering it. Maybe I should look up some blogs and run them thru google translate. :cautious:
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

As Felion said I have friends in China/Japan/Korea (because of my study history i asian languages).

In China my friends say it looks like everyone wants to be part of the club, so if someone has something others want it to (they want to be the best/newest etc. etc.). While this is something seen all over the world, from the stories I hear it looks like in China this is a bigger thing then anywhere else. They really spend amounts that boogle my mind!......if only I could get the money of 10 of those players.....

But then again that's what I get from stories of 2 guys.....so it is ofcourse a bit biased.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

The issues with how I took your post is it seemed like you were slamming micro transactions period rather than just a specific game. Even without that in mind though, Swtor is their hobby and Gw2 is not. You cannot make that kind of comparison between the two in terms of "inferior products". Different games cater to different people and work on different models. Walmart and The Gap may both sell the same brand of jeans, but charge vastly different prices and are both successful because they target different demographics. If those people who played Swtor didn't find that price acceptable, for one reason or another, then they wouldn't be selling.

Its tough for the Western audience to understand and break into because they treat things much different over there for many reasons. Different ip laws, different culture. Much of the gaming scene over there is similar to the trends we see in the IOS gaming market. Lots and lots of knock offs with very minor changes because most games don't last but ~6months period before they shut them down and relaunch. Much of the craze in South Korea for example was populated by gaming subscriptions being offered along with apartment rental for example. Instead of "We have a free pool available between 8am to 8pm" it was "Lease for 3 months and get all you can play Mojong" and the like.

Thats without looking at the aesthetic differences in terms of taste and very different idea's of what constitutes story.
  4. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

That's a really fascinating anecdote :eek: it sounds like someone describing another dimension
  5. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

From my guildies, I learned that internet cafe costs as low as around 50 cents US$ per hour in rural areas to 5 US$ per hour in big cities like Shanghai, and they always have super fancy cafe that serves drinks and have all kinds of services for like 30-100 US$ per hour, or more. Obviously only the filthy rich goes there. But I think most big spenders have their own PC, hence are able to stay online 10+ hours a day. Some spend 10+ hours at cafe but it's really unusual, typically it's just a few hours everyday for casual gamers. As for microtransactions, one of my guildie said he spent a whole car on Age of Wushu (Chinese version) over the years, more than $100000 US.

The best way to get inside their population is to play their game of course, language isn't that big of an issue since a lot of them are quite willing to play with you regardless. Lag IS an issue, but there are plenty of 2D games and none-action games that are free to play and suffice as a try-out. As OP and Extatica have pointed out, social interactions and politics is a very big thing (guild dominances, guild rivalries, guild alliances, arch-enemies, in-game marriage etc), progression generally matters most when it gets tied into politics (enemy guild got first kill so we've got to beat them to the next boss). Precisely because of that, the in-game community is typically very active and full of drama. They love PvP and they also like good PvE contents, but PvE tends to get worn out into grinding very quickly. Their mentality while playing the game is very intense, sometimes it's a little scary. You'd really have to play on a Chinese server/game to get the feel of it, it's actually quite a bit different from Korean/Japanese communities too, although all three nations share some major similarities when compared against western players.

That's the feeling that I got too, but enlarging it, I think an extension is that their community ties are very strong. Competition and cooperation happens at all levels, from individual to large groups, and they general align and converge their goals very rapidly. So you wouldn't have some people doing A and some doing B and don't really communicate, you just get one giant group. This may simply be due to the size of their population, that the public trend is so strong and everyone is either getting converted or being part of the converting influence. No one forces anyone else to do anything though, for the large part the individuals don't really care if you're doing something or not, that's the most bizarre thing about it. It just happens, the atmosphere is unmistakable. There's a LOT of very motivated people and I mean, they'd be motivated whatever they're doing, and that gets you motivated too. And once your goals are aligned with others, the rest just happens naturally --- because you have the same goal so there's competition, and since everyone has the same goal so there's an incredible push to "stand out". But at the same time having the same goal and same experience give you lots of understanding, and everyone's each others' comerades on the way there.

I find myself really getting dragged into certain desires that I've never ever had before (like being the best or being "proven leet"), or dragged into conflicts that I'd never get into, the funny thing is no one has ever uttered a single word to encourage me into these things. If anything, they're quite understanding as in "oh he's a foreigner, he probably doesn't get it, so it's up to him if he wants to go". They're surprisingly tolerant on many things, I didn't expect that at all, thinking Asians are traditional and all that.

Sociologists would have a very interesting time if they decide to look at the Asian population and cultures I think, the fact that they've kept it going like this for thousands of years is itself an indication that some golden balance has been found somewhere in there.

Now coming back to reality, I think these features are present not only in mmos, but in real life as well. Throughout 4000 years, every foreign invaders get quickly converted, all the nearby nations get converted. And all that without China ever going on a big conquest, it just stays at where it's at, occasionally have diplomatic missions, focused way more inward than outward, yet everyone else gets influenced and willingly come to pay tribute... All very bizarre and fascinating! And I'm kind of getting a sense of why is that in games. I know it sounds like a far stretch, but I can really feel the difference, it's quite strong.
    ImpactHound likes this.
  6. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Yeah, its how a lot of the first "f2p" games were actually subsidized. They didn't work under what we would today identify as a f2p model.

Except the Mongols, everyone always forgets the Mongols!
  7. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Pretty much

If you define success as the massive fluke that is wow then its hard to see any future mmo as successful
  8. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Success only honestly means that the came can sustain its operating costs while making a profit.

EVE-Online for example is successful and Everquest and UO before WoW were always very successful.

I bring up EVE-Online a lot because it is a great example of an MMO with a small player base but it is still as a business successful and with a strong community behind it.

(And on the EVE related note... Dominion Fleet vs Caldari Navy.. I am betting on the Caldari.)
  9. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Some points will decide succes or not.

1. Combat system. Either it will be a succes or be a huge flop.
    2. Endgame content. A bit worried about reusing old content over and over.
    Play the same instances over and over in different "modes" gets boring very quick.
    Grind the same instance for Tier 1, Tier2 and Tier 3 armor set? Zzzzzzz
    3 PvP. Todays mmorpgs require a good PvP system. Cant say much about WS PvP. Looks a tad to spammy due to combat system.
    4. Things to do while NOT raiding, questing or general PvE:ing. Achievements, Artifact collecting (Rift) Crafting, Minigames etc. Not everyone wants to raid all the time at endgame. Gotta have alot of things to do on the "downtime"
  10. Fiif

Fiif New Cupcake

Wow is by no means the only successful mmo, simply the most successful. Other ones are doing fine financially. People seem to be under the horrible misconception that for a MMO to be successful it must out preform wow. That's like saying you need to out sell Cod to be a successful shooter, which is one nearly impossible(just like this feat) and two not required for financial success. All they need to do is make a profit tbh and I think the game should be strong enough to do that. But we'll see. Raids will keep me interested at any rate
  11. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

in other news, Pepsi is a complete failure because Coke is better.