1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar be compatible with SteamOs and Mantle API

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Markerlight, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Markerlight

Markerlight New Cupcake

Hi,

So, I heard about Valve's plans to release SteamOs at some point in the future and ATI's plans to develop and release their open API, Mantle.
    I was wondering if Wildstar will be compatible with those and if not, at least if they are being considered by the devs, and maybe patched into the game somehow at a later date.

Please leave your thoughts and input on the matter and if any dev cares to reply, they are most welcome. :D

Thanks in advance!
  2. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

too soon to tell, both SteamOS and mantle are still in the early stages of marketing where everything they say about it is positive.

having a new api that is compatible to multiple hardwares is not something easy to do, and SteamOS is something that is targeted towards playing on your livingroom, since it uses a Linux adpted OS it will most likely not run DX natively, meaning that if WildStar runs on DX, which is most likely than it will not be compatible.
    if it runs on OpenGL it's a possibility.

steamOS wont run most games, dont fall into Valvle marketing black hole
    Malorak and They like this.
  3. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

The answer you'll get straight off the bat is that WS is currently only being targeted for the Windows platform. However, what I personally am interested in is how far Valve go for SteamOS compatibility on their end, in the same way WINE allows windows games on Linux, SteamOS could potentially have native compatibility settings, we just don't know!

But yeah, from what the devs have said previously, Windaz only for launch.
    Malorak, They and Destrin like this.
  4. atom

atom Cupcake-About-Town

It was literally just announced. Ask this when SteamOS is a viable platform and ~12 months after W* launches if you're looking for a serious answer and topic for discussion.
  5. Markerlight

Markerlight New Cupcake

Oh, I'm not falling for it. I am well aware that SteamOs is based on Linux, and I'll be taking a wait and see attitude towards it.
    I just hope something good will come out of it, that games shall be developed for more than DX and Windows, because it can only be good for the companies making games, as it provides them with a larger potential customer base, as well as the gamers that play them who might no longer be forced to have Windows just so they can enjoy something they like.
    And if the Mantle API really will be open and it really will allow for more performance to be had from the current and future hardware, I can only hope we'll be able to enjoy those benefits in our games of choice.

TL, DR: Options are nice to have and I hope we end up having them.
  6. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

Options that cost a lot of time and money to even have it supported, then double it to make sure its stable.
  7. BonusStage

we have Open GL, which is a good alternative do DX, however it is a little more complicated to program for it.

this new API is kinda weird, they will need to restrict the archtecture of GPU's in order for it to work the way they want it, we will need to wait and see, but the way i see it right now this is just a way for AMD to try and get back the market that is currently dominated by nVidia, and if nVidia dosent follow suit and start using this API i dont see it doing very well.

and steamOS i dont like at all, it's just a glorified midia PC, i rather buy a PS4/XBone than having something like what Valvle seems to be offering, in a couple of hours we will know more about it, but i doubt i will change my mind
  8. Annihilist

Annihilist New Cupcake

Depending on how well the streaming works (I believe its based on Nvidias Shield technology) you will be able to run Wildstar on your windows based PC and stream to a SteamOS box in the lounge if you so desire. Chances of it running natively on SteamOS are pretty slim though.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Love your avatar BTW.
  10. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

As others have said before unlikely, also steam OS is aimed to work for the box. You as PC user are not really the target audience it's to provide decent hardware at a decent price so people can play games, it's an odd PC in a console product.

And as others have stated it's based of linux, so write it off it will come on mac first unless you use WINE to emulate it with all possible issues that brings with or can bring with it. Just run a dual boot system with wintendo 7 on one and linux on the other if you want to run it from linux but the steam box no chance as controller support, official support is out of the question.
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

i was gonna tell him that too! my hubby actually had a small sign that said the same thing at one point - dunno where it got off to though.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

But this isn't true, creating more "viable options" for games, just means game companies have to spend extra time DEVELOPING THE SAME CONTENT THEY ALREADY DEVELOPED!

Unless the OS's truly provide better "performance" and provide better options, and not just another OS that's windows or iOS or Linux, but not really, it just gives game companies a headache trying to either work with it or not. It divides the player base further, which is BAD for game developers.

For instance, if there was an OS that did everything as well as all of the OS's put together, and everyone used it, then only one game needs to be developed and that means you reach all of the players at once.

There's nothing "bad" about windows really, and it's hardly worth saying "players are forced to use windows," because there are plenty of other good reasons to use it. One being that it's compatible with EVERYTHING.

Sure it's more difficult to develop on and tinker with, but that's nothing a VM can't solve. Of course the obvious solution for ANY OS is to use a VM or a secondary boot to run multiple OS's.

Additionally I know very little people who are into high performance gaming which solely use Linux as their OS, though I definitely know Windows users who fit this build as well as Mac users. Not saying they don't exist, I just don't know any...

TLDR: Options are bad, as they divide and distance players who choose less popular options.
  13. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Clearly, it was stolen by Annihilist.
  14. Pyaray

Pyaray Carbine Studios

I'm not a Client programmer, however in my experience OpenGL is actually easier than DirectX to program for. DirectX tends to be more feature rich, but OpenGL is quite powerful. For my personal projects (ie, not published) about 60% of the graphical things I've written have been GL based, 30% DX based, and about 10% was based on WinG.
    FlamingRuby, BonusStage and Kataryna like this.
  15. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

SteamOS is meant more for entertainment such as watching movies and stuff in your living room.
  16. BonusStage

Thanks for correcting me, a friend told me that DX is more easy, but looks like he was wrong
  17. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I believe that Carbine guys will look at both carefully as soon as/if WS happens to be successful. I wish they move to SteamOS as I would so like to abandon my reliance on Windows (it's enough that I have to work with it every day at work ;))
  18. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

Probably stolen by one of the survivors he missed :p
  19. Thee

Thee Cupcake

I hope it will. All the announcements this week have me might excited and I will most definitely have a machine running this in 2014. :)
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  20. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Indeed. I'll be preparing as well.