1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will Wildstar have Raids like in WOW?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thomas gaucher, Sep 1, 2012.

1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Ditto.

I still believe in one raid, where different modes of hardship and better loot are obtained dynamically by meeting certain requirements, like clearing in a timely fashion, avoiding stuff on a raidwide scale, not dying etc. Is the spawn of the raid instance/area is dynamic as well - different layout, different boss combos (think D3 dungeon areas) from the getgo etc. then one raid may take a long time to get on farm status and you never totally know what you will be raiding.

No need to remove all the trash either, some teams are good at downing bosses and terrible at handling trash. Just as long as clearing trash does not take 90% of the raid time :p
    Tiktak likes this.
  2. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I feel the differences between 10 20 and 40 man raids is very little, in reality. Yeah so you can organize 40 cats to head in roughly the same direction, doesn't mean your any better than someone who's herding 10 of them.

I've done the 40mans to death, I've done 10mans. There is no change in difficulty, only time and paitence it takes to do them. And I personally don't think 40man raids are worth the effort. No amount of loot or prestigue will convince me to wait around for hours on end for all the slackers and casuals to turn up. The drama is more 'dramatic' too in these instances!

That said, I think the loot should be the same in quality, but NOT in quantity. If 2 items of epic lewts drop from a boss in a 10 man, 4 should drop in 20, and 8 should drop in 40... It should scale in that respect. The larger raids have more people to 'gear up' so it should give the right amount of gear to do that. (Might even lessen the more dramtic 'drama'!)

And no, those numbers are simply pulled out of my ass, I believe if Carbine go that route they can handle sorting out the lewt ratios to their own measure. And it includes everything btw, not just armour and weapons. Crafting mats and recipies and whatever else they might have dropping in those raids too. (Quest items should simply be 1 per raider unless it's for like some special class uber item or what have you.)

Argh...wall'o'text'd that one... sorry...
  3. Sarcan

Sarcan Cupcake

I think in today's market of were grouping seems to be a secondary function of playing, Raids just are not done well in concept or execution. To often today, games do not encourage or require grouping until you are thrown in a dungeon, whether it a regular dungeon or a raid size event.

We need to step back to how the game is built from the ground up with regard to working together to achieve the end. IF we are encouraged to solo everything, then the size of the raid is irrelevant and will cause problems because you have 5, 10, 15, 20 or 40 individuals. However if you encourage and require team work through for various things, people get use to working together. The more people working as a team the more content they want to tackle as a team.

Also if you scale any encounter (Dungeon or Raid) by the number of participants with appropriate rewards, it will also encourage larger teams to tackle an area. Why limit a dungeon to 5 or 10, make it scale. If someone wants to bring a team of 3 or a team of 80 to a raid, make it work for each size and reward them appropriately for the number of people people they got to work together. Also if it fun with 3 and they know it gets more interesting with more with more people, it encourages people to make more friends and come back to see how it different. Then getting a group of 40 people isn't herding cats, it is something people want to do because they already had a taste in a smaller group.

I never understood the concept of limited group sizes and content tied to that size. This always leaves someone left out, whether in or out of a guild. 6 people online, content is made for 5, so sorry to number 6, enjoy solo even if you wanted to go. 17 guild members online but the Raid only accepts 10, guess we will redo it later for some of you. Or you go pug three people, but now you have to do the "Who do we take game" in the Guild only run. This leads to favorites or Raid group, segregation in the guild and a general feel of discontent. Instead of having a large guild that likes to work together, you have a bunch of mini teams under a single name. This just leads to a percentage of people leaving a Guild to form their own as they only play with a small percentage anyways.

That digressed for the OP a little but still on topic in a sense I guess. Just my random thoughts on the topic.
  4. Nectavian

Nectavian New Cupcake

@Sarcan: I agree completely, and I wouldn't doubt most others would also. However, the game designers don't limit group sizes to nice round numbers because they want to -- they do it because it is sometimes impossible to scale raid encounters/mechanics per player, and other times it can be difficult.

There would likely also be optimum sizes discovered for most raids (where the mechanics scaled poorly), leading to complaints about balance and fairness...more severe complaints than today at least.

I'm all for it, but the question would be, could Carbine pull it off without over-simplifying/linearizing raid encounters?
  5. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Yep to this.... It's seems like a impossible amount of programming to be able to balance such a large number of variables.
  6. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

There are lot's of unlocks based on personal and guild achievements. Maybe titles and achievements could be a bolster for larger raid sizes. Why not use them to incentivize? I know in the raiding guilds I have been in seeing a achievement unlock would inspire us as a group to try and do the required stuff to get it done.

It's a group builder and could inspire folks to put in the extra effort.
  7. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

I get the different point everyone shared in this post, but still 40m is in my opinion a mess and I'm talking from experience; not that I didn't have fun in it, it's just that to organize it (at the time I was officer not gm but still) is painful.

I also believe that the raids are not too much focus on the cooperation between players anymore don't get me wrong some bosses you might have done in 40 man or 25 man required everyone to do something but most of the time it goes like > DPS don't stand in flame or the red/purple thingy on the floor + do your job dps/Heal same + heal people/tank well tank boss /stopcast...and some times they make you do a dance (melee coming close to caster/healer) and that's that. My point is that I find all of this redundant after around seven years of this you like bosses where you actually have to do something different so my request to Carbine when it comes to raid is: "Please something new in the mechanics, I do not care for the size of raid as much as the mechanics of bosses".

Okay I did stray from the point but wanted to get this idea out ^^. Anyway I always remember the back of the WOW classic box you had a picture of three guys fighting a wyvern (Used to think it was a dragon) that's what made me sure i'd like the game, can't really explain it but I had the image of cooperation though those guys probably got owned by the wyvern lol.

Peace.